97 SC400 supercharger Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

scotturnot

I am fairly new posting here but here is my cars stats.

20” Work Rezax II’s
Tien HA coilovers
Cold air in Modification (BFI)
Optima battery w/billet box
S & S tri-y Headers
Dual 2 1/2" mandrel bent stainless exhaust
All Magnaflow cats, X-Pipe, resonators, Mufflers and tips
Dragon 2800 rpm stall torque converter
B&M transmission cooler
Supra TT LSD rearend
Light weight tension pulley
Auto meter carbon fiber series Pyrometer gauge
Auto meter carbon fiber series Oil pressure gauge
Auto meter carbon fiber series Voltage gauge

Auto meter carbon fiber series Boost gauge
AEM wide band 02 gauge
Sylvania Silver Star High and low beams
Perfect power SMT6 piggyback computer
Recaro Trend Tan leather bucket seats

Eaton M90 supercharger port flowed by Magnum power
Supra TT brakes
IRotors
And probably a bunch of stuff I am forgetting.
Anyway here are a few pictures.

Later Scott

Ok, on with the question,
I really need some advice. I just got my 97 SC400 put together with a eaton M90 on it.
Thus far I have done nothing to my fuel delivery system. The Australian guys say I could get away with the stock fuel system as long as I keep my boost below 7lbs.

I have a 6lb pulley on it right now.

Initially the car ran perfect, I hadn’t really accelerated at wot for more than 2-3 seconds but my wide band was saying 12-12.5 at WOT and 14 at normal driving. I put about 1 hour on it then it was nearly out of gas. I pulled in to the Gas station and filled up with premium. I drove about a half mile down the road and my air fuel reading went to all the way lean (- - -) off the map above 18. I pulled over and the car would hardly run at all. It now can barley idle and when I try to give it gas it just chokes and tries to die. I found a injector O-ring leaking and fixed that but it didn’t change it at all. It seemed to have a lot of pressure at the rail when I removed it.

I have a walbro pump, 315 injectors and a aeromotive FPR that I have not yet installed. I also have a Perfect power piggy installed but to this point have made no changes to it, It has been on the car for 6 months running transparent. I planned on utilizing these Items when I go to a 9lb pulley.

Now for my questions

First do you have any Idea what might be going on?
Do you have a map of the fuel circiut and what to check?
Is there a way of verifying the injectors are getting what they need to activate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Later Scott

Scott, welcome. That's a real nice installation you have! The problem sounds like fuel starvation doesn't it? You're not getting any black smoke out the tailpipe, are you?

Can you confirm with a pressure gauge that you have good fuel pressure at the rail? If not, then you either have a fuel delivery problem from the tank to the rail, or possibly your FPR has packed it in. Also, maybe a bad connection at the Walbro? Loose ground, etc. Don't overlook a plugged inlet screen on the pump and/or a plugged fuel filter before the rail.

If fuel pressure is good to the rail, then all injectors should have a constant +12v on one side, and the ECU pulls the other side to ground to fire them. I've forgotten with the OEM OBDII ECU's if you get +12v as soon as you turn the key on, or only when it's cranking or running.

BTW, whose SC manifold are you running under that M90?

Scott, welcome. That's a real nice installation you have! The problem sounds like fuel starvation doesn't it? You're not getting any black smoke out the tailpipe, are you?

Can you confirm with a pressure gauge that you have good fuel pressure at the rail? If not, then you either have a fuel delivery problem from the tank to the rail, or possibly your FPR has packed it in. Also, maybe a bad connection at the Walbro? Loose ground, etc. Don't overlook a plugged inlet screen on the pump and/or a plugged fuel filter before the rail.

If fuel pressure is good to the rail, then all injectors should have a constant +12v on one side, and the ECU pulls the other side to ground to fire them. I've forgotten with the OEM OBDII ECU's if you get +12v as soon as you turn the key on, or only when it's cranking or running.

BTW, whose SC manifold are you running under that M90?

Yes it seems like a fuel delivery problem.
No smoke at all.
I just took it to a local shop, they hooked it up on a can of injector cleaner and it ran a lot better off the can, they said one plug is down, could be from the lean condition?
Tomorrow they are going to check fuel pressure and if it is good they are going to drain my tank to see if I might have got bad fuel. My fingers are crossed.

I got the manifold from Andrew at Richwood Technologies. I will work at getting more details of the install posted, I had been posting on another forum so all the info is there, I just need to transfer it over.

I will try to post my car pic again, I dont know why I cant get it to post? I just tried again and all I get is the little boxes?

Scott what sort of horsepower readings are you getting?

I dont have numbers yet, I still need to dyno tune it. I did a baseline before I added the supercharger and it was about 230RWH, Now I will go back to the dyno and get some new numbers with the supercharger installed.

Later,
Scott

With only 7PSI stock injectors are fine as that's what the ECU is set to use so by plugging in 315's you'll be overfuelling it if you haven't trimmed it in the piggyback.

There are a lot of M90 equipped Soarers here in Aus running 6-7PSI with no changes to injectors or ECU and they run great.

What colour is the inside of the exhaust tips? Black or light grey? What about the spark plugs?

The dealer just called, I got bad gas, they said it has water in it. Once it was drained cleaned out and refilled it runs perfect! I talked to the main branch suppling the gas and they confirmed it, they are paying 100% of my bill. I am breathing easy!

I will keep you posted on progress as it happens. Now I can get back to my project.

Nice.... very rare that happen... Good job.. and get us some numbers. Looks like your supercharger pulley is pretty much max out before slipping.

Nice.... very rare that happen... Good job.. and get us some numbers. Looks like your supercharger pulley is pretty much max out before slipping.

Will do,
I made my own idler pulleys to allow the belt to wrap the pulley more. I also did this becuase the intended pulley arrangment that was supplied with the kit would not work on the US version car.

Which car did u get the M90 from? Did u make the rear adaptor too?

It is actully a thunderbird supercharger that has been reworked by Magnaport. They revamp it to create more boost and more importantly less heat. The rear adaptor came from richwood but had to be modified to fit the porting done by Magnaport.

The supercharger is actually the magnaport II which has been replaced by the III. They advertise 25-35 more HP over a standard Eaton M90.

I will gather up more info on it and post it.

First time I've heard of bad gas in years. Glad to hear it was that simple. Was it a reputable brand or a convenience store?

It was a Texaco, Kwik shop stores, they said it was wide spread and that the main hub supplied it to all the branches. Just the premium was affected.