Turbo and Supercharger done in SC400 ???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

Hello SC400 lovers!

I started this thread because I'd like to know if anyone on our forum has successfully put either a turbo or supercharger (root or centrifugal) into the SC400 without removing any stock accessory components. As you know, it's a daily car so all convenient features should be kept. The project is only for the SC400, "not SC430, LS400, LS430, GS400, or any swapping into other cars". Info., pics or links...Please! I believe there're many of us who are willing to see and admire the output.

It can be done and people have done it. It not that hard as you think it is. If you relocate the battery to the trunk and delete the air filter, you will notice two nice space for a twin T3 to sit. However, to do anything it will take money. If you ask anyone with turbo or supercharger system. The cost really goes up when misc. parts are needed. I would prepare about $5,000 for this project if you plan it in the future. Go fast is not cheap. However, at the end the price is worth it.

I know u r asking specific model on FI. However, regardless its a SC, GS or Tundra the concept is still the same. Bob and Chrisman twin turbo their SC400 with CT26 and they are making great prower. I think they are making somewhere in the low 500s rwhp with mild boost (17 psi).

I am currently driving daily with 16.68 or 1.15 bar but i see 17 psi all the time. However, my car is nowhere near 500 rwhp. Regardless, its a daily driver and i enjoy driving my LS400 then my supercharged Cobra...lol...

I think to save money and reduce number of parts. I would suggest single turbo instead of twin. I think a GT35R from Garrett or T61 would be a very nice street turbo.

GT35R is a bit big dont you think? and isnt your LS an auto? if so, then thats why your not seeing 500RWHP.

Attachments

• ute with V8.jpg
    ute with V8.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3
  • sump-steering.jpg
    sump-steering.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3
  • left header.jpg
    left header.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 4
  • right header.jpg
    right header.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
  • leftmount.jpg
    leftmount.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
Anaema said:
GT35R is a bit big dont you think? and isnt your LS an auto? if so, then thats why your not seeing 500RWHP.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Lextreme said:
I think to save money and reduce number of parts. I would suggest single turbo instead of twin. I think a GT35R from Garrett or T61 would be a very nice street turbo.
Definitely agreed. I would prefer a single GT35R or maybe a GT35, T-60 as with many Supra setup. Running a single turbo is easier than twin turbo. However, I really think I'll run a Novi or Vortech supercharger instead. The job is even simpler. I though about an Eaton M90 but I don't think I'll do that. And then I can build a custom exhaust later. My spending goal is only $3K-$3.5K with doing it myself. I'm only looking for around 400 rwhp. I'm just waiting for the right time to do the project.

The problem with supercharger would be the cost. An average head unit is almost double a turbo head unit. Secondly, I think its easier to make a turbo header than a supercharger head unit bracket. Honestly speaking unless u get great deal from ebay otherwise it will be very hard to complete this project for about 3.5k. If I remember correctly the Procharger D1SC (I think this is the best choice for the 1UZFE with self contained oil) is about $2,300. Unless u get lucky from ebay otherwise it will be very costly.

If i have an SC400 and just wanted 400 rwhp. I do NOS.... its cheaper and simpler. However, turbo is boost king......

My Twin Turbo is not done yet, but is expected to be done soon with Stage 1. I am keeping all of the creature comfort components such as AC. Battery has been relocated and I am replacing the stock hydraulic fan with electric fans. Besides that, I am relocating the oil filter. Cost is much more than $5,000.

I think if you do decide to design a turbo like David's, you may be able to keep within your budget...a single turbo with a log style header on one side and the stock manifold on the other.

Follow David. You should be able to get it done...

Good luck.

Ryan

Nos is a cheap alternative and produces the same horsepower fellas without all the fine tuning and fiddling that goes into a supercharger or Turbo setup. All for under $1000......but I would still rather be supercharged!!!!

GT35R is too SMALL IMO. would love to hear the reasoning behind the GT35R "not" being able to make 500rwhp but being too big at the same time...

i'll be running the equivelant of a GT47 exh housing (1.13A/R but twin entry) with a 0.6A/R compressor about GT42 size.

David,
Your analysis is very true. But I got my restraint so here's my reason. Yes, I went under the SC so many times looking for the way to route the turbo. I found a way for the turbine inlet, but I didn't really find the way for the downpipe from the turbine outlet to the mufflers without removing the A/C compressor. My car is low and I only have 6" of ground clearance from the crossmember to the ground. If I run four 1.5" pipes (from the turbine outlet only) under the crossmember with 0.5" clearance between the pipes and the crossmember, I only have 4" of ground clearance left. That's very marginal. I used to have 3" of ground clearance on my previous Honda and it scratched the pipes at high-to-low driveways. I actually found a place that has new affordable supercharger unit. The Vortech V-1 SC trim is $1599: http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_listing_MT3.asp?MfgID=Vortech&CatTopLev=headunits&Cat3=SC-Trim_headunit And the Paxton Novi 1000 is $1599: http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_listing_MT3.asp?MfgID=Paxton&CatTopLev=headunits&Cat3=NOVI_1000_headunit.
I like Nos, too, but I'm too lazy to hit the button everytime and the time to refill it. And in the long run, Nos will cost just like a turbo or supercharger setup. I have a happy feet most of the times. I'm sure if I use Nos, I'll spend at least $200 per month on refill. One year will be $2400. Two years will be $4800.

Steve, true to some degree on the nos and if you use it all the time maybe you can spend $100 a month. Also if your are too lazy like me to hit a button you can just leave the button armed all the time, but just remember not to hammer down the accelerator all the way to the floor coming out of a turn or you will send the car flying and spinning out of control with the nos engaged.

I am not defending nos, I would much rather be turbo'd or S.C.'d but until I can do that the nos is working just fine with fantastic results. Infact, I must say I actually enjoy it, because it is an instant rude 125hp's worth of power sent immediately to the rear wheels, no fooling around and getting up to speed, when it hits it hits hard and you feel it, and guess what? That is a good feeling....:drive:

stevechumo said:
David,
Your analysis is very true. But I got my restraint so here's my reason. Yes, I went under the SC so many times looking for the way to route the turbo. I found a way for the turbine inlet, but I didn't really find the way for the downpipe from the turbine outlet to the mufflers without removing the A/C compressor. My car is low and I only have 6" of ground clearance from the crossmember to the ground. If I run four 1.5" pipes (from the turbine outlet only) under the crossmember with 0.5" clearance between the pipes and the crossmember, I only have 4" of ground clearance left. That's very marginal. I used to have 3" of ground clearance on my previous Honda and it scratched the pipes at high-to-low driveways. I actually found a place that has new affordable supercharger unit. The Vortech V-1 SC trim is $1599: http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_listing_MT3.asp?MfgID=Vortech&CatTopLev=headunits&Cat3=SC-Trim_headunit And the Paxton Novi 1000 is $1599: http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_listing_MT3.asp?MfgID=Paxton&CatTopLev=headunits&Cat3=NOVI_1000_headunit.
I like Nos, too, but I'm too lazy to hit the button everytime and the time to refill it. And in the long run, Nos will cost just like a turbo or supercharger setup. I have a happy feet most of the times. I'm sure if I use Nos, I'll spend at least $200 per month on refill. One year will be $2400. Two years will be $4800.

Vortech V1 and Novi 1000 would not work on the 1UZFE. You will be throwing money down the drain. I only recommend these Superchargers for the 1UZFE:

1. M112 (M90 if you plan to stay under 8 psi forever)
2. Novi 2000
3. Procharger D1SC
4. Whipple 2300 or higher

Small superchargers would not work well on the 1UZFE. Here are my picks:

Root:
Whipple 3200 (I think that is the model number)

Centrifigal:
Procharger D1SC

Single Turbo:
Garrett GT40 or T62

Twin Turbo:
Garrett GT28R to GT35R

Attachments

• DSC_3166a.JPG
    DSC_3166a.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_3168a.JPG
    DSC_3168a.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_3169a.JPG
    DSC_3169a.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_3178a.JPG
    DSC_3178a.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 6
Wow! That seems to be another restraint. :sorry: I thought the Vortech V or S type is capable for around 680 hp as advertised. Also, the Paxton Novi 1000 is capable of 540 hp. But if the units above aren't capable, then I guess the Paxton Novi 2000 could be the choice. I just want the smallest unit as possible to fit in front of the fan after the electric fan conversion like Jibby for around 400 rwhp. But thanks to David for pointing that out for me. If I would go for turbo, a single one is more ideal for less work on piping and plumbing. I think a Turbonetic is also a good choice. It runs around $800.

As I am a computer geek, and not an auto nerd, please forgive my now perhaps ignorant question(s).

On eBay I can't help to notice the cheap "supercharger" you can purchase there. See below auction example link, might have expired when you click though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Supercharger-Le...ryZ33741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem This is also called an "Air-Intake Blower"!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lexus-SC400-Ele...ryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One is from a company called Supernatural Performance, user is "supernatural-performance", and it sells for a few hundred bucks.

Are this type any good?

How much will it effect performance?

How much will it effect fuel consumptions?

Will this type do any damage to my car?

Can I install this type myself?

Etc.

DKDiveDude said:
As I am a computer geek, and not an auto nerd, please forgive my now perhaps ignorant question(s).

On eBay I can't help to notice the cheap "supercharger" you can purchase there. See below auction example link, might have expired when you click though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Supercharger-Lexus-SC300-SC400-SC430-GS300-GS400-GS430_W0QQitemZ7992033640QQcategoryZ33741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem This is also called an "Air-Intake Blower"!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lexus-SC400-Electric-Supercharger_W0QQitemZ8043953347QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One is from a company called Supernatural Performance, user is "supernatural-performance", and it sells for a few hundred bucks.

Are this type any good?

How much will it effect performance?

How much will it effect fuel consumptions?

Will this type do any damage to my car?

Can I install this type myself?

Etc.
To be honest with you, I've already built several kinds of these electric supercharger on my previous Honda around 1999 way before those Ebay electric supercharger started to sell. They could work on a 1.8, 2.0 or 2.3 liters at the start, but they start to fail at high RPM.

You don't want to install them on a 3.0 or 4.0 liters engines. None of those superchargers have enough CFM. Period. Also, those superchargers are sold but not mentioned about the fuel, so if the superchargers flow too much air, the fuel is leaned and "Boom", pre-iginition or detonate, or even block the air flow. And if you really want it to work, you can install the intake as a Y pipe section. That way, the main intake pipe is still straight with another air filter which still give enough air in a normal condition, while the e-superchargers flows from a secondary pipe.

You can get these kinds of e-superchargers at any boat parts stores. They're about $30 to $40. Or you can go to Ebay but select the Boat Parts section, you'll find several exactly blowers for around $20-$30. Good luck!