95 1UZFE/W58 turbo compatibility

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hrforever

AS the title indicates, I have a standard motor with a W58 transmission that I would like to keep because of space constraints. I'm sure some will say that certain destruction is guaranteed of one or both components, but this is not about high HP ratings, drifting or circuit racing. The car is used 99% on the street with maybe a test and tune day once a year for fun. I enjoy the power I have but wouldn't mind a little bit more.:D

Ideally what I'm after is a single turbo that spools progressively from down low and maintains power without choking a high revs. For simplicity, the standard exhaust manifolds will be reversed, but an intercooler and aftermarket ecu will be installed. I have read of others using something like a GT35 to achieve good results but the different bearing types, flange sizes, compressor/turbine wheel sizes and A/R figures make it difficult to figure out what would best suit.

Any suggestions on what might work would be appreciated.

Thanks. Does the flange size assist with the 'progressive' requirements I'm looking for or is it just a case of getting the gases to the turbo and letting it do its job. Additionally, I gather I'm aiming for a low A/R (.63) over slightly higher (.86) to ensure early boost.

Is this the type being suggested?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T04-Z-T0...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb89909b7

Alternatively, I see the Precision 6262 can be had with an internal wastegate which would save some plumbing and space.

Garret T04's are water cooled, ball bearing, 66mm comp...
I assume the Ebay turbo is a CCC.. Cheap Chinese Crap...

Due to power figures from turbo's being there "MAX" output..
You have to look at 600 to 700 turbo's..
.63 is way too tight as a single...
You want power to come on early but not too hard once it does...
So I would aim for .82 for manual and 1.10 T3 turbine for auto as the converter helps early spool...
.81 T4 or .82 T4 V band [inlet outlet] or divided .84 would be my choice...
Here's another option..
http://realstreetperformance.com/st...with-twin-scroll-divided-t4-housing-1769.html
Better turbine options...
An external gate will work best.. As a single...

The poor old W58 will have to just survive. I'm hoping that by getting progressive boost the shock to the box will be reduced.

XR8tt - Ok, I understand what your saying. From what your suggesting, the unit from Real Street Performance fits the bill and the price is within budget. I will see if I can find something similar locally to check physical size and maybe do a price comparison.

This what twin .63 are like on a 330ci engine..
In 3 gear.. See how hard they come on and keeping traction is
an issue!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxclnCobf2Y

Local the Master Power T64 can be bought for under $1k
http://www.expressparts.com.au/master_power.asp

Plenty of 5.0 Mustangs in the States us these [T70] with great success..
It's little bother T64 would work well on 4.0 engine..
With longer stroke the 1UZ will spool good...

Btw its roughly $200 to freght a turbo here..
From U.S .. 5 days delivery..
A 50Lb S480 is $230 with well packaged box...

Last edited:
ohhh that poor w58 is gonna get tore up lol.....
My concern as well. I have the same setup on a W58 steel sandwich plate box. Been concerned about longevity of the box ..

Xr8TT also suggested I get the To4Z and I have not looked back. Thank you again Sir !

I ran a W58 for a little while when the engine was producing 265rwkw. It was fine if treated right and this included track work.

It did not like a 400m 2nd gear powerskid with the 2.92:1 rear end and promptly lost all the teeth on 3rd gear at the upshift ;)

How much are second hand Tremec T5/6's or TKO now ??
They both require adapters.. May as do it right with strong trans...??

I see them between 800-1400$ usd. and the t56's handle shock like no other OEM tranny that I've ever seen. I'm currently working towards making the adaptor plate also. Got the design done, just need to finish a prototype on the mill sometime.

are you guys serious with your w58 talk jeez i have two cars that run them a 480 rwhp rotor and a 355 stroker no worries what so ever how cum you guys are munching them ?