94 LS400 - sluggish acceleration, and low RPM pinging

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
LS400 sluggishness questions

Och:

please let us know if and when you install the SAFC-II, I'm having the same problem as you with the sluggishness, and I've done most of everything you've done with my '95 LS400, I only have 123k miles and bought it a year ago w/107k miles but the previous owner never changed the air filter (it was "disgustingly" dirty). I'd immediately changed tb & related bearings, wp, tenioner, cam & crank seals, plugs(repl. w/iridium), wires, caps/rotors, tranny flush repl w/Amsoil 100 syn oil, use ONLY Castrol Syntec motor oil, and I'm a big believer in Marvel mystery oil in the crankcase and gas., repl both primary o2 sensors. While the pickup is drastically improved after all of this, I still think it should have much quicker p/u with 260 horses pushing it. Huge difference in p/u from my '98 LS400, of course that one has VVTI. Should my attn be centered on the MAF? I truly believe with it running with a dirty and clogged air filter for maybe 50k miles or more is contributing to the sluggishness and high idle speed upon start-up (high idle goes to normal after a few minutes). If anyone else can offer suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

LS400GUY

Can someone tell me which OBD applies to the '95 LS, is it the OBDI or OBDII diagnostic tool? In addition, is it possible that something as simple as a clogged fuel filter be the culprit? My only problem is slow acceloration at take off and midrange acceleration. A clogged fuel filter could be restricting the fuel flow under acceleration, I've done everything else accept replace the fuel filter. Any thoughts and suggestions? One more thing, where can I get a reasonably priced OBD tool, and what's with the SAFC?? Should I be looking to acquire one these as well? Thanks much.

LS400GUY

I'm not giving up yet. Just removed the ECU yesterday and sending it for a rebuild. If that doesn't solve it, I'm either going to set the car on fire, crash it into a wall, or sell it and get a BMW.

Just received a phone call from the people that are rebuilding my ECU. They said they put it in their test car, and were experiencing the same problems I described, mainly lack of power. They said they should be able to repair it.

I'm holding my fingers crossed. I should be getting the ECU back by the end of the week, and hopefully its going to solve my problems once and for all.

if you get it back and it still does it pull your inlet manifold out, i had mine chemically cleaned then when i replaced my starter it was full of carbon and crap (the bottom half only though?) once that was cleaned never had that problem since

The ECU could be the problem. You can get a used but good ECU for around $100 and tried it on. I've seen they're sold on Ebay for sometimes. I don't remember if the SAFCII can enrich your fuel. The last time I used it on a turbo Honda was to trim down bigger injectors, which means to make the A/F more lean. You may check with Apexi people at http://www.apexi-usa.com/contact.asp.

I'm amused... Got the ECU back today, installed it and it made no difference whatsoever

Seriously guys, this car is such a POS its not even funny. Whats with everybody praising the 1LS for being oh so reliable and durable and well built. It cant keep up with a Honda Civic while burning 4x as much gas, lol. And all the problems with these cars, from engine management, to burn out clusters/displays, power steering, etc make it just laughable.

And now my GS430 started pinging too, again, after two years! Greeeeeeeeeeeeeat!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230331

I'm laughing at myself right now for buying a Lexus... seriously, silly me thinking a glorified Toyota is a real premium car. Yeah, right. I'm done with Lexus/Toyota. The next car I buy will be from a reputable auto maker. Lexus/Toyota should go back to flipping burgers, they are the fast food of the auto industry.

When i replaced my starter i noticed the whole lower intake was packed with carbon so we soaked it in degreaser and then the pinging was gone for good

I dont know about this with a Lexus, but with my BMW, when there is anything clogged like that the dealership can plug into the computer and see exactly what's wrong. Why not take it to a dealership? I know it'll be expensive but the heart ache and time lost could be a decent trade.

Ping

Have you changed the knock sensor (rarely fail)? I also had the same problem in altima 02 after the head gasket replacement. The caused was very small vacuum leak from unplugged vacuum hose. Toyota engine has a bunch of vacuum hoses. Check them first. the idle is normal but pings with light throttle at 1200-1900 rpm cruising speed. Check the spark plugs, if it is a little white on the ground electrode, it runs lean caused by vacuum leak.

Has anyone found the cause of this yet?

I know this is an old thread but I continue to have the exact same problem and (like everyone else) I am tired of throwing away money into unnecessary *new* parts that don't fix the pinging.

I am torn between fuel/air mixture and ignition as the root of this problem.

Make sure you're not using Shit Fuel. Next I'd get aftermarket management and a dyno tune. During that you can spot sensor readouts on the Computer software and if any sensors are doing bizarre things you should notice them.

I had some pinging and found a loose Vac hose, but I was also running 95 octane with a tiny bit of octane boost.