5speed swap into early LS?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Spinnetti

Hi all... Racing my 91' LS400 and the ultra long 2nd gear is annoying.... Are the ratios any closer in the SC trans, and can I put one of the 5speeds in from a later model or does it require all sorts of mods??

Cheers....

you need to make a shifter extension, custom driveshaft, custom self contained clutch pedal and clutch master.
and when installing the clutch pedal unit you will need to move a couple of large fusebox/junction boxes over to make room.

you need to make a shifter extension, custom driveshaft, custom self contained clutch pedal and clutch master.
and when installing the clutch pedal unit you will need to move a couple of large fusebox/junction boxes over to make room.

LOL.. ok, that explains it... I meant the 5 speed (or even the 8 speed) AUTO from the later model cars.. for instance, can I plug and play the 5 speed auto?

The orig ecu will not control the 5 speed auto
They have more shift solenoids than the 4 speeds
Just go manual and not a girls box hehehbe

I'm rules limited, and can't put a manual in it. I see there's a aftermarket shift controller available. If that will drive the shifting, will the later models auto trans bolt right up? Anybody know? If so, that would be an improvement and I'd just make paddle shifters for it.

I beleive that they pretty much bolt up. I have customer/supplier/mate who had a A340 behind his supercharged 1uz and now has a A650 in the same car with a shifter unit to control it. Cheers

I beleive that they pretty much bolt up. I have customer/supplier/mate who had a A340 behind his supercharged 1uz and now has a A650 in the same car with a shifter unit to control it. Cheers

Sweet. Thanks The A650 is the 5 speed I presume?

Cheers.

Yes the A650 is the 5 speed fitted behind the UCF20/1 VVti 1uz and the first of the UCF30 3uz until the brought out the 6 speed. One overdrive on the 4 and 5 speeds and 2 on the 6 speed. Both the 4 and 5 speeds share the same housings. Cheers

Thanks!

In my quick search, I saw the 5, and 8 but not the 6... Does the 6 bolt up too?

My car "lives" in 2nd & 3rd mostly on the race track, and 2nd is too long. 2nd is 1/2 point shorter on the 5 speed, so would make much better use of 3rd which currently kicks in too late and for too short a time.

Thoughts?

From research and practice the 5 speed looks to have nice ratios. Similar overdrive with the other gears spaced nicely. It also looks good for 4x4 driving which I have one due in the next little while to sort out and wire up. Im looking forward to that. I beleive the 6 speed also has the same housing but am yet to confirm that. Cheers

From research and practice the 5 speed looks to have nice ratios. Similar overdrive with the other gears spaced nicely. It also looks good for 4x4 driving which I have one due in the next little while to sort out and wire up. Im looking forward to that. I beleive the 6 speed also has the same housing but am yet to confirm that. Cheers

THanks.... I'll try to get a 5 speed.... What's the cheapest bang for the buck for a shift controller? I'd like to put paddles on the steering wheel....

Thanks...

cheapest and paddles dont normally go together in same sentence
we fitted an aftermarket ecu to a holden ls2 with proffessional paddle boss kit
came to over 2500 bucks in parts and labour

i also recently wired up a pcs t2000 trans controller to a hyundai
and as mos things it was pain in the butt
as i have no idea on hyundais
hardest thing was tuning the basics as both the workshop and i and no other workshop withing a 50 km radius has ever tuned an auto ecu we had to learn the hard way
so if u r keen on a brand of trans controller i recomend to download its software and
go over it or atleast see if they have forums
tuning enigne is easy u have load and revs

tuning auto is harder as u have revs and load and speed

theres afew controllers that suit 4 speed autos which work very simply using 2 solenoid
once u get into more solenoids u need to figure out what each solenoids needs to do to select a certain gear

cheapest and paddles dont normally go together in same sentence
we fitted an aftermarket ecu to a holden ls2 with proffessional paddle boss kit
came to over 2500 bucks in parts and labour

so, how about ANY shift controller.. I found one guy who has a website, but he never bothered to reply to my inquiries. I've got to do it cheap per my race series rules....

No worries on paddles. I'll make some aluminum ones or get me mate to make me up some carbon paddles and I'll make the rest (have machine shop in my house, CNC lathe and mill, and Tig welder... can make pretty much anything I might care to. Have electronics kit too, but don't want to spend the effort to figure out the shift circuit on my own)

Ok cool
I have afew of kdogs old tiptronic controllers still
But they are for the old 4 speeds
But they are purely tiptronic
U can put them in drive and it change gears
Automatically
Maybe send pcs an email

Ok cool
I have afew of kdogs old tiptronic controllers still
But they are for the old 4 speeds
But they are purely tiptronic
U can put them in drive and it change gears
Automatically
Maybe send pcs an email

pcs?

I plan to put in the 5 speed auto, so I need one that I can attach buttons to shift (using the buttons).....