4 Bolt Main Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
The for past few months we made a lot of progress. Mix and matching between uzfe engines had been very interesting and enriching.

Whats the point? Looking for massive power? Need Cast iron to support tons of boost? Looking for more displacement with boost? Has anyone tested the limits of the cast iron block?

uhh, yes they have. ever heard of Top Fuel Dragsters? 600+ cid, iron block, supercharged, 7000+ HP, and they explode every so often. those guys test the limit of iron blocks.

Attachments

• AFPR.JPG
    AFPR.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 6
They haven't run cast iron blocks in Top Fuel and Funny cars in the last 30 years. Most are running Forged aluminum blocks and they are making closer to 8500HP.

My main question was why mess with the cast iron block. OUr stock aluminum blocks and cranks will take 2000hp without any trouble.

Does it have bigger sleeves than the 1UZ?

Im not so sure that a stock 1uz block and crank will take 2000hp. Here in aust, the donnis brothers have a rail dragster running the 1uz, after the 1500 hp mark the blocks crack even when filled with epoxy. So they made their own cnc aliminum block with no water passages ect, but still use the stock crank and heads.

I know the LE-1 groundfighter used a supercharged Lexus engine putting out 2000HP. I was looking for the two articles that I found when I first picked up this engine, but couldn't find the links. There was a couple of teams here using the 1UZ in drag racing that were in the high 1000s low 2Ks for power. Just can't find the links anymore.

MGM w/4-bolt Main conversion

As you can see, engine is in, supercharger, turbocharger, etc is installed, control boxes (exception of one which is on the way) installed, boost, fuel pressure and wideband O2 controller/gauge installed, electrical work done to control nitrous and alcohol injection. Still in the process of breaking in and tuning for closed-loop running. Running 315cc main injectors and two 650cc auxiliary injectors and 13 lbs of boost. Open loop is still running very rich, but I can't take fuel out until I get the other box from URD. I can tell you this....the truck weighs 5060 lbs with me out and when I punch it, as it passes through the band where the AFR is about 12, it moves like a banshee, so I am looking forward to getting it tuned properly. Enclosed some pics of the install and what it looks like at the moment. The turbo is where the muffler used to be so I am pulling the intake air from the bed to avoid hinky stuff happening when it is raining, etc.

I'm collaborating with David Phan (the Mad Chinaman) Rob Welsh of Boostedtundras.com and Steve (aka Gadget) of URD fame as all are a fount of knowledge...they sure have their job cut out for them to try and keep me out of trouble...:eek:) and I really appreciate all they do for me!

Don't be concerned about the bottles in the truck bed as they are for medicinal purposes only..
redface.gif
),
redface.gif
)

Will update more as I get stuff tuned.

Wayne

Wayne,

That setup is radical. Love your air filter in the tunk of the truck along two bottles of Johnny Walker. Your system looks phantastic! How is your truck start and idle?

Many thanks David...coming from you, that is indeed a compliment! Starts and idles great..in fact, closed loop is pretty much running at 14.5-7 afr with no load and drops down to 14.1-13.9 as I start to roll into a little boost....as I say, when I run open loop, full boost, I am way rich around 10.1 so need to pull some fuel out of the map...which I will do once I get my other box. As it sits in the pics, I have by-passed the intecooler....spent today re-routing the piping from the turbo so it runs through the intercooler. Tomorrow, I will route the piping from the intercooler roundabout, through the BOV, MAF and into the Supercharger. We'll see what effect it has on the afr.

I experimented the other night by relocating the MAF before the turbo in the bed of the truck and it didn't work. Ran way rich all the time...not sure if it is because of the way the air acts on it back there with the draw-through instead of blow-through or the resistance of the 15 ft wiring harness screwed up the correct signal...(I used 14 gauge wire, so resistance should have been very low compared to the 22 gauge in the original harness. Either way, I have relocated it back to the original position in the pipe between the turbo and supercharger after the BOV. Will continue to play until I get it right.

Wayne

Many thanks David...coming from you, that is indeed a compliment! Starts and idles great..in fact, closed loop is pretty much running at 14.5-7 afr with no load and drops down to 14.1-13.9 as I start to roll into a little boost....as I say, when I run open loop, full boost, I am way rich around 10.1 so need to pull some fuel out of the map...which I will do once I get my other box. As it sits in the pics, I have by-passed the intecooler....spent today re-routing the piping from the turbo so it runs through the intercooler. Tomorrow, I will route the piping from the intercooler roundabout, through the BOV, MAF and into the Supercharger. We'll see what effect it has on the afr.

I experimented the other night by relocating the MAF before the turbo in the bed of the truck and it didn't work. Ran way rich all the time...not sure if it is because of the way the air acts on it back there with the draw-through instead of blow-through or the resistance of the 15 ft wiring harness screwed up the correct signal...(I used 14 gauge wire, so resistance should have been very low compared to the 22 gauge in the original harness. Either way, I have relocated it back to the original position in the pipe between the turbo and supercharger after the BOV. Will continue to play until I get it right.

Wayne

I'm dying here!! About how much longer till we see this Monster scooooot along the track and testing on the dyno?

1 month? 2,3,5, months????

Patience, Grasshoppa.....been really busy and haven't had a chance to work on the MGM....gonna be even longer, because I am fixin' to pull the supercharger and run the turbo straight in and see what differences I see. Will have to re-tune for that configuration as well. I am going to go with whatever seems to give me the best response overall...S/C plus turbo or just turbo and N/A intake. Such is the nature of experimentation. Based on my untuned butt-o-meter, rest assured, when I get the final configuration together and tuned properly, it will be b-a-a-a-a-d-d-d! :eek:) Hang with me, it'll come together. Gonna get slowed down more because I have to get my Z-car ready for a regional get-together in SW GA in March...How about a street legal/driveable 600 hp small block chevy in a 71 240Z that runs 6.70 in the 1/8th mile on the same tires I drive it to the track on???? :eek:) Too many projects!

Wayne

STill dying here! You DONE yet, huge investment you got. Would be good to get her running (tundra) and show us a vid of you on the 1/4 mile track.

BTW , you don't have a Toyota speed limiter anymore do you? If so that's gotta go! Top speed would be 106 mph and this truck is going to get there awfully quick

actually, I ran a 15.58 at Reynolds, Ga a couple of weeks back....had to run the truck because my hotrod had some gremlins. Still not tuned correctly and shuts down at the 1000 foot mark as we haven't broken the code on the speed limiter yet. I'm running 4.56 gears vice the 3.90 stock gears and the change shuts it down around 94 mph. Working on making a frequency clamp to fix the speed limiter stuff.