3URFE Engine Exposed

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Glad to see that Mahle agree with us!

I will post some pictures of the block. I really feel with an engine guard, forged pistons, forged rods and good bearings. This engine can make easily 3 digit hp with very low boost.

Attachments

• bild0046.jpg
    bild0046.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 39
BJ,

There are so many number on the piston and I dont know which one you want. However, Mahle should know what pistons were made for Toyota Tundra 5.7L.

Are these tangless bearings / rods oval ? and become round when bolted up ??
If thats the case ? Closeing and resizing rods is out of the question..

I think that block is a sprayed liner block. It has a aluminum sleeve with either an iron or Nikasil (maybe lokasil) coating on the cylinders. I see no reason with good tuning you can't make well over 600hp on those liners with forged pistons. No need for a block guard. The block guard will create overheating problems and the sleeves will end up cracking anyways.

Have a look at some engines.. There is very small holes there on Chevy and Ford blocks..
We did the same thing on a 2.5 Mazda KZ motor we turbocharged. Here we call them "block savers".. The Mazda V6 had 530 h.p at the wheels. It was built 5 years ago and still running as daily driver..
Depends what power levels one is after?? If using forced induction it could be a good mod... All speculation until someone extends its power beyond engines durability..

I think that block is a sprayed liner block. It has a aluminum sleeve with either an iron or Nikasil (maybe lokasil) coating on the cylinders. I see no reason with good tuning you can't make well over 600hp on those liners with forged pistons. No need for a block guard. The block guard will create overheating problems and the sleeves will end up cracking anyways.

Toyota calls them "spiny liners" and they're cast in place. They have an irregular surfaced OD which 1) helps to hold them in place and 2) improves their heat transfer to the block. So the engineers say ;-) Here's a page out of the TIS about them:

Yep looks like coating to me..
I must say ... Most engines that have this coating have warranty issues..
You just cannot beat a well clearanced / blueprinted engine!!
To a point manufacture's use coating as a cheap form of getting around good assembly...
I have NEVER had issues with either Diamond or C.P pistons on N/A engines I have turbocharged...
They don't have this coating on the skirts...

factory integra type-r pistons come with a skirt coating from the factory.

Attachments

• EGYPT23 (Medium).JPG
    EGYPT23 (Medium).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 11
Porsche engines have had a Grafel coating on the skirts for years. The GM LS7 also has coated skirts. It allows the manufacture to run a slightly "looser" clearance and keep the cold piston slap to a minimum. Coatings also cut friction. It is done on most race engines.

It would be interesting to see if we could just bore the liner away and coat the remaining aluminum with Nikasil. It has been done to bare aluminum before and last for ever. Would be interesting to see if the cylinder walls would hold up to an over bore big enough to lose the liner.

Glade I said "MOST"... The Genlll doesn't have a good rep down here when it comes to pistons..The LS7 may be better due it hardly being a bread and butter engine, it's budget is a little higher..
The Honda's seem fine..Rev and just stay together..
I still feel,it's to get engine through its warrenty period. As most these coatings I see are well worn off when engine is pulled down..
Its more to do with lousy assembly clearances ..No matter what coating is on piston as well as piston quality..
Tighter EPA emissions can help..

when the better companies sleeve a block, they bore out almost EVERYTHING. they use a few MM of the old bore and drop in a brand new sleeve.

i would not worry about sleeving this motor. it should be fairly easy. the cyl bore spacing looks more like a real engine now.

We ran Nikasil in the BMW air cooled flat twin motorcycle engines -
seen over 200K miles - looks brand new in there.

I'd be more interested in having liners resprayed rather than bored & stuffing in iron weights - just get another engine from car-parts.com & swap in the good stuff.

What's the weight difference between an Alum. Block 5.7 and the Cast Iron 4.7 ?

We ran Nikasil in the BMW air cooled flat twin motorcycle engines -
seen over 200K miles - looks brand new in there.

I'd be more interested in having liners resprayed rather than bored & stuffing in iron weights - just get another engine from car-parts.com & swap in the good stuff.

What's the weight difference between an Alum. Block 5.7 and the Cast Iron 4.7 ?

This Autozine.org blurb points to Toyota's initial use of Nikasil around year 2000 ?

Like many high tech aluminium engine, the 2ZZ-GE gets Nikasil treatment instead of using cast iron liner as a means to reduce friction and wear. Yamaha is one of the few experts in the world having the Nikasil treatment facilities (Ford’s Zetec is treated there), thus Toyota is eager to ask it to assemble the 2ZZ-GE engine. Its work does not stop there. Base on Toyota’s VVT-i variable valve timing system, Yamaha developed the VVTL-i which also incorporates variable lift control. You must know that variable lift is so important to top end power. Without it the new engine can never reaches a maximum power of 180hp at 7600rpm. Basically, the mechanism is a combination of the continuously phase-shifting variable timing (VVT-i) and a 2-stage cam-changing variable lift like Honda’s VTEC, but the implementation differs a bit from Honda thus avoid violating the rival’s patent. Once exceeding 6,000rpm, the high speed cams take over and the engine can rev for another 2 thousand rev. If you are interested in a more detailed explanation to the VVTL-i, click HERE to AutoZine Technical School.

You may ask why the Toyota’s unit does not pump out as many horsepower per litre as Honda’s Civic Type R, Integra Type R or S2000. Very simple, Toyota’s engine is a fully mass production engine without the hand-intensive treatment required by the special Hondas, such as forged pistons / con-rod / counter weights etc. Take a normal Integra GSR’s VTEC and you’ll notice the superiority of Toyota’s VVTL-i, especially is low and mid-rpm torque, thanks to its additional continuously variable valve timing.

Attachments

• P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 18
This Autozine.org blurb points to Toyota's initial use of Nikasil around year 2000 ?

Like many high tech aluminium engine, the 2ZZ-GE gets Nikasil treatment instead of using cast iron liner as a means to reduce friction and wear. Yamaha is one of the few experts in the world having the Nikasil treatment facilities (Ford’s Zetec is treated there), thus Toyota is eager to ask it to assemble the 2ZZ-GE engine. Its work does not stop there. Base on Toyota’s VVT-i variable valve timing system, Yamaha developed the VVTL-i which also incorporates variable lift control. You must know that variable lift is so important to top end power. Without it the new engine can never reaches a maximum power of 180hp at 7600rpm. Basically, the mechanism is a combination of the continuously phase-shifting variable timing (VVT-i) and a 2-stage cam-changing variable lift like Honda’s VTEC, but the implementation differs a bit from Honda thus avoid violating the rival’s patent. Once exceeding 6,000rpm, the high speed cams take over and the engine can rev for another 2 thousand rev. If you are interested in a more detailed explanation to the VVTL-i, click HERE to AutoZine Technical School.

You may ask why the Toyota’s unit does not pump out as many horsepower per litre as Honda’s Civic Type R, Integra Type R or S2000. Very simple, Toyota’s engine is a fully mass production engine without the hand-intensive treatment required by the special Hondas, such as forged pistons / con-rod / counter weights etc. Take a normal Integra GSR’s VTEC and you’ll notice the superiority of Toyota’s VVTL-i, especially is low and mid-rpm torque, thanks to its additional continuously variable valve timing.