300rwhp upgrades

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Darklord

Hi all
Am new here. Seems like the place to be to find out about 1uz's

Am tossing up putting either a 1uz or a LS1 into my LH torana. Looking for about 300rwhp or a little more. The LS1 is pretty much achieving that stock so wondering what sort of mods and $$ I would need to spend to do this with the 1uz?
Don't mind getting FI if needed but can it easily be achieved with NA?
If I go FI - blower or hairdryer?
Will want to bolt up a manual - which one would you reccomend?
Can you reccommend anyone in Australia that would be good to talk to about this?

The car will be driven regularly and am after a tough street car.
Cheers for the help

Yeah, but if I go the LS engine I can't put FI on it due to state regs. Can do it with the 1uz which will give me a whole world of options.

What do you think it would cost to get the 1uz to 300rwhp?

Can get a LS half cut for around 4k second hand or a new one engine only for 5k

Not much, make sure its a 1990-1994.5 engine w/ the good rods and then throw a turbo/supercharger. Keep the stock ecu, install a walbro and a rising rate FMU and your be there at about 6-8psi.

Fit a std 1UZ then buy another VVT engine ..
Rebuild it with forged assembly for forced induction...
EMS ECU is cheap enough Or use Holden's ECU with 2 bar map sensor ??
Then you can run almost any boost / power you want with edit..
If you want to go forced induction properly without engine issues...

I guess 300+ h.p can be made N/A with mild [Kelford / Tighe] cams with good valve springs..
Polished ports, mild porting..
With some porting of lower inlet manifold, good exhaust..

http://www.camshaftshop.co.nz/index.php/vmchk.html

http://www.tighecams.com.au/

Last edited:
300wheel hp ends up around 380 crank hp with an automatic or 350bhp w/ manual.

I suppose N/A could be done but if your comparing an LSx vs UZ in N/A form.. the LSx is the better solution.

Highest N/A UZ i have heard of was 490bhp at 9,000rpm on the vvti. An LSx can do that with a few products off the summit catalog! Sorry to knock the UZ but if you must choose either a high hp N/A or high power FI w/ a reasonable budget then I say UZ.

Cheers guys.

It is a choice of FI 1uz vs NA LS1 to achieve 300rwhp - which will cost less?

The reason I like the 1uz is with FI it means you can easily add more power later if wanted (which is usually just a matter of time). It would also mean the car is better on fuel when just cruisin but has plenty of power when you put the foot down. Will also be a bit more streetable and have better manners for around town.

Just trying to weigh up how much it will cost me to do a FI 300rwhp set up for parts only? engine/turbo or supercharger/intercooler etc.

I will need to do driveline, install, suspension anyway so don't need to factor that into the cost. Just doin engine vs engine cost

Keep in mind the Chev is much newer and trans will take what you can make N/A...
Meaning just bolt on mods.. The transmissions with these engines have long ratio's so
fuel consumption isn't too bad for a big engine...

you can get a used early UZ + ecu + auto + harness for anywhere from $500-$1000 total. Grab a used vortech blower or a used turbo for a grand or less and then its a simple job of installing it (fmu, basic pipes, walbro pump and a wideband). I would estimate the whole enchilada costing about $3000 ?

I have heard of LS engines going for more than that for the complete setup but in the US.

Xr8tt is right regarding the LS fuel economy. I have been hunting for one of their 6-speeders for its long 6th gear (.50:1). The LS has a 6-speed and the early UZ has a 4-speed so keep this in mind as well.

In the past, to the dismay of some on here... I have made the case for the LSx series as hard to beat and not as old school as cam-in-block may suggest.

That said for 300rwhp the only problem with your goal is the transmission. Stateside an early (1990-1994) 1UZ with the standard 4 speed overdrive automatic can be had for under $1000. Add a used turbo or supercharger unit, do your own welding and wrenching and you are making 300rwhp for well under $3k. That stock 1UZ engine with PROPER tuning is good for nearly 500rwhp IF (giant if) you can keep the transmission together. So, for 300rwhp the 1UZ if the better choice price wise.

Now, as you state, your local laws allow boost on the 1UZ but not on the LSx. That as you opened with is a BIG deal. Change out the transmission for a strong manual, upgrade the fuel and tuning system and the boosted 1UZ can make 500rwhp. While it is certainly possible to make 500rwhp on a NA LSx... it will take a BIG cam and RPM. The little STOCK 1UZ can make the power on stock internals and cams and be SMOOTH. Look to JustenGT8 for inspiration. He ran up to 25psi compound turbo/supercharged on STOCK taxi engine and on turbos alone made 530+rwhp at 17psi...

Best of all... if you break the motor you can get another CHEAP. Can't say that for your 500rwhp LSx.

Start your reading here.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1140&page=4

Plan, design, execute.

P1030631.jpg

Great points John. Since the UZ is only held back by tuning and trans solution, UZ is the clear cut winner but IMO it comes down to whos doing the wiring/tuning? Having a pro do all the work takes away the cost savings of a UZ over LSx. I say if your brave/skilled enough to wire it up then you'll have yourself one potent/reliable setup for a bargain.

I have been watching this thread for a while and ave been reluctant to post. On a dollar for dollar comparision I think the LS1 would work out a better option for most people. Now I hate to say that as I love 1uz motors and have a business that gets a large part of its income from 1uz conversions and parts. When costing you need to factor cambelt / waterpump bearings etc for the 1uz, most now require ignition rotors, leads , coils and park plugs. Often now the valve stem seals are getting hard so I often pull the heads and give them a top end tidy up to make sure you dont get annoying puffs of smoke. One great thing about many of the conversions we do is a stock 1uz doesnt produce too much power so the rest of the driveline will handle the motor without an issue. The VVti motors in N/a form make heaps more than the early motors and I beleive one with a set of cams will be up to most peoples requirements but still wont make 300RWkw easily. As soon as you boost a 1uz (early with heavy rods and pistons) you really need an aftermarket ECU, bigger injectors, Bigger clutch and gearbox and lots of tuning time. Supercharging adds alot of stress while the torque is great I'm often disappointed with the power output(often due to the power needed to ran the supercharger). I prefer a 1uz with small turbos and they make great power. John is right that if something goes wrong another motor is cheap which is great.
On the other hand a LS1 is dearing to buy but will make the power with a cam and tuning and the ones we get here the factory ECU is fully tunable with the correct software( not sure about the rest of the world but I think most have retuneable ECU)
The motor will be easier to fit into a torana and most likely there will be a kit avaliable to buy to bolt it in. Both are GM product so I beleive the Torana will retain more value with the GM product.

Other things you will need to price are Sumps , I think the Torana is rear sump so rear LS1 will fit where a rear 1uz will still need a mod , fuel systems (both need this and a cleverly setup intake will feed both , Radiator along with heater hose position , exhaust , clutch options , gearbox options (LS1 has a factory option ) Also check shifter positions , clutch flywheel options (LS1 as factory option)(1uz has plenty avaliable now too) and both are going to need wiring.

In my opinion with everything considered the two options will work out around the same price but the LS1 will be easier with less modifaction and parts to develop. If you want to spend the time and prefer boosted power then the 1uz is the winner.

Remember I am bias and fit 1uz's into everything and am involved in over 100 1uz conversions every year.

Lots for you to think about so grap a piece of paper and start planning like John suggests. Work outyour plan and then try to stick with it.

Cheers