2UZFE Into 1990 Range Rover Classic SWB

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kenithj

Hey gents! I am very pleased to have found this forum. I have been looking around a great deal and am think I may have fond the spot to get some good solid information and assistance.

I am considering a swap on my Range Rover due to the fact that the bottom end of the 4.2 that I have is getting on a bit. It has new heads and ancillaries but I would like to get my ducks in a row for something that is more efficient and has more going for it.

I have a bit of experience with swaps and a great network of machinists and prototype experts that can help with things if I run into a problem with fabrication.

I am wondering if there is anyone that might have done the swap on my type of vehicle and if they have any pictures that aren't already posted here. I found the swap into the right drive 2 door with a manual that is posted here and while that looks to be a very nice job I am hoping to use an automatic (either the Rover or the Toyota/Lexus box) mated to an LT230 transfer case. Mine is also a four door and left drive (This leaves me to believe that I may be able to get away with not changing the alternator location).

I am hoping that I might be able to have some dialogue with anyone that might have some insight.

Questions that I have right now:
-Is there a suitable automatic box that bolts up to the 2UZFE (Tundra tranny maybe?) that I can get solid performance and reliability from?
-Will it mate up to the LT230 t-case?
-Are there any electronic issues with this vehicle (I know, insert appropriate Lucas jokes here) and the 2UZFE and toy/lex trans?
-What is the output of the alternator (I have dual batteries, lights, inverter, camping accessories etc)?
-What is the weight of the 2UZFE? I found the 1UZ info but not the 2UZ.

Thank you in advance for your patience and time. Any help or info you provide will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
Ken

Ken, welcome to the forum; that looks like a great swap project. I hope someone here will give you some pointers.

Hey thanks cribbj!

I am wondering if there is a favorable history of durability with the A340F transmission and if it may be a good choice for my swap. And if it is suitable, is there any year or version that might be better in my application?

I am open to suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

I've only had personal experience with the A340E, which was behind a twinturbo 2JZ in my Supra. It was a decent enough box, and handled the torque of a mildly modified 2JZ OK. The Internet is full of hotrodding mods that you can do to these Aisin trannies to firm up their shifting and increase their torque handling.

Just get the biggest tranny cooler you can fit, and it should be OK for a NA 2UZ.

The next jump in A/T boxes is the GM TH400, which has been popular for the drag racing Supra crowd, however since it's only a three speed box, it's not good or very economical for highway cruising.

I believe some are now adapting the later model GM 6spd A/T's from the CTS Cadillacs to their Supra's. Red Supra, one of our Lextreme members, was running a TH400 and mentioned to me awhile back that he wanted to go this way with his setup.

I wish I had the go fast toys that you guys play with! My goal is to drive this truck on long-ish expeditions. Baja Sur and some mainland Mexico, British Columbia, etc. A roof top tent and my laptop and maybe a fishing pole. So I am shooting for relative ease of the swap (i.e. bolt up trans/eng mating), repair on the road if needed and the versatility to get me to where the pavement ends and then start exploring. It sounds to me like I am kind of headed in the right direction parts wise.

I truly appreciate the input. Is the 'E' version similar to the F?

Ken I can't speak for the similarities. Hopefully one of the guys more knowledgeable than I will jump in here and help out. I do know several Range Rovers have already been swapped over, and I believe there are a couple currently ongoing.

One thing you'll probably need to address now or later is how you plan to control the engine & transmission. Both have brains (ECU's) that talk to each other, as well as to other ECU's scattered around the car/truck. Many people who do these swaps try to keep the OEM setups, but if you're swapping into a completely different chassis from a different manufacturer, you may save yourself some grief down the road by thinking and planning this now.

The Toyota/Lexus boxes are typically a closed system; there is very little software available to modify or diagnose them. They either work, or they don't, and you start pulling hair.

If the laws and/or regulatory climate in your part of the world permit you to run an aftermarket setup, I would encourage it. You'll probably save yourself lots of headaches getting that to run over an OEM setup. It will still require tuning to be sure, but at least it will be open and "tweakable". There are many ECU choices available for the engine, and at least several available for the transmissions.

This is helpful stuff. I have read online that some of the ECU/TCU's are independent and some get along and chat with each other well but others don't. This is exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. I am about six months from pulling my engine and I like having a head start if I can get it.

The laws here in Portland, Oregon are pretty open. And the the laws that might be an issue are very easily circumvented.

I wouldn't mind having the factory Toy/Lex ECU and TCU if they create a functional and reliable set up to start with. I would assume that I can always upgrade to an after market unit after my wallet recovers and I get some miles on the swap. That being said, if some one told me that the over all cost and effort of the swap was more effective to go aftermarket initially I would certainly take that under advisement.

Along with the transmission choice my other current concerns are:
-The A/C compressor clearing my left side steering box
-Water resistance of the electronics on the 2UZ (I have been know to wade through a hood deep stream or two).

cribbj, do you know any of the folks with the Rovers that you spoke of? I wonder if they might have some experience that would be helpful....

Thx again!

Have a search using keyword "Rover" and you'll probably find some threads. Looks like our member Thommo_73 was doing something similar....

The UZ fits quite well but needs some massaging to get it in.

A left hand drive vehilce will have the airconditioning compressor hitting the steering box. But the alternator will clear.

If you're happy to lose constant 4x4 I'd recommend the full Toyota auto and transfer swap.

This may give you vibrations in the rear tailshaft as the Toyota rear drive is centred and the Rover offset.

If you would like to PM me an email address I'll forward a write up I did several years ago on my Rover 1UZ swap.

In all honesty I would fit an LS3 or LS6 over the UZ as it is smaller, lighter and more powerful.

I'm away for a few days but will get onto it on Monday for you.

Zuffen, Thanks for the input. I will shoot you a pm with my email addy as I am very interested in seeing the write up.

Have a safe trip!

Cheers
Ken

Hey, Zuffen

I got a little busy on some other projects and wanted to get back to you. Hope you had a great trip.

Were you able to track down that write up that you were going to forward to my email? I am quite interested in taking a look.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Cheers!

Ken,

Could I ask you to re-forward your email address to me.

I delete all my PM's pretty soon after getting them and I may have deleted your address in error.

Promise I'l do it this time!