1UZFE into a Porsche 914

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

914-8

As can be expected in any auto project this project has gone over the expected time, mostly due to my inexperience in this sort of thing (engine swaps). I currently have the engine out of the donor SC-400 with ECU and cables and have mounted it to the Porsche transaxle using a Kennedy Engineering adaptor plate, clutch assembly, and high torque starter. I'm currently working on mounting the radiator and running the radiator hose I ordered from Red Dawg Racing. The main problem I'm facing now is finding replacements to bypass the power steering pump and A/C pump. Any help would be appreciated. I’ve seen them posted before but cannot find anyone who makes them now.:Eyecrazy:

914-8,

What areyou trying to replace?

The power steering and air con? Do you mean you need a shorter belt?

There was a 914-8 in Australia at one time. Used a 928 engine in Porsche cup.

Was an absolute failer due to poor engineering.

Porsche 914 with 1UZFE 32 valve V8

Over the last five years, I have built a 1972 Porsche 914 with a 1991 Lexus LS 400 engine. The car is not "finished", but is completely driveable and I drive it to work regularly!

I also used a Kennedy engineering adapter and clutch but made my own motor mounts and shift linkage.

The shift linkage is the really hard part, but the SC 400 engine will be BETTER than the LS 400 engine.

I took everything I could off of the engine to make it as short as possible. I wanted to cut the car as little as I possibly could. I took off all the idler pulleys, the distributors, and even shortened the harmonic ballancer .900 inches which required grinding some material off of the block so it wouldnt interfere.

Instead of using the Lexus alternator (an expensive piece), I got a GM Camaro alternator from a local parts store for ~$45 and built my own bracket to hold it in line with the shortened Lexus harmonic ballancer.

The belt is a very short belt that only goes around the harmonic ballancer and the alternator. The alternator acts as the tensioner. The Camaro alternator fits the same type of belt as the Lexus.

If I was picking another alternator, I would use one that goes on a 1993 Eagle Vision (Chrysler product). It is a very nice compact Nippondenso model with simple mounting and the correct pulley.

My car weighs 1900 lbs and has almost 300 horsepower in current trim. I am using an electromotive Tec II fuel injection system, but I hope to convert to Megasquirt with Ford EDIS ignition soon.

The car is SO much fun to drive. It is everything I wanted it to be. It is very light because I took the window glass out, all the dashboard, and everything that wasnt absolutely needed. I wanted to build a hot rod, not a luxury vehicle.

Please note that the Lexus engine DOES NOT FIT in the engine bay of a Porsche 914. I had to change both the engine, transmission mounts, firewall, and many other things to get it to work. That really took some time with a cutter and welder.

Oh yes, I welded stainless steel tube to the stock Lexus exhaust manifolds, and then welded Magnaflow stainless mufflers to those. It sounds AWESOME.

The engine with aftermarket fuel injection, and completely free flow exhaust is just amazing. Everyone says that they LOVE the sound of it.

You can send me questions if you want at [email protected]. I live in Atlanta, Georgia. Hopefully I can send some pictures soon. --Sterling Skinner

Lexus 1UZFE in Porsche 914

I ordered the adapter plate AND custom flywheel from Kennedy Engineering in California.

It all bolted right up like it came from Toyota. The flywheel even came with the bolts for the crank.

http://www.kennedyeng.com/

I made all the adapters to bolt the engine into the car as well as custom shift linkages and lots of other changes.

The engine does not fit into the engine compartment without some cutting and re-working on the flywheel and engine.

The car drives and the power is incredible!! I am using a stand alone Electromotive Tec II fuel injection system, not the Lexus ecu.

I would think the 914 would be to small to house an 1uz-fe motor...Also, I would be concerned about the suspension and steering with the extra weight..

I would think a 944 Porsche swap with an 1uz-fe would be a much better fit..But then you would be down grading in power.

There's a 914 in Australia with a 928 engine.

The front suspension and brakes from a 911 bolt straight in.

The rear brakes can be uppgraded to 911 so that side of it is cool.

The 911 engine that was a factory fitment on the 914/6 wouldn't be to much lighter than the 1UZ.

The Porsche factory built two 914's fitted with the 908 engine which is a boxer 8.

I'm wondering which Porsche tranny is the best bet and cost effective in the same time, I dont mind spending more if its going to be as strong or nearly as my supra getrag trans.

Also does this adapter run the flywheel off the porsche starter or the 1uz starter?
adapter3.jpg

The price is not bad at all.

Attachments

• blower1.JPG
    blower1.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 3
The 914 transmission is a type 901 which is the weakest transmission in a 911.

The difference is this trans is modified to take the shift out the side rather than the end.

The problem is to make it a 5 speed (originally it was a 4 speed) they canterlevered first gear off the end of the mainshaft. When you drop the clutch the gear is literally driven off the shaft. Expensive and terminal.

I blew one up on a drag strip with a 2 litre Porsche engine.

The box of choice would be the 930 4 speed or the later G50 but they are set up for end shifting so the shift mechanism is really complicated and always custom built.

I've destroyed more Porsche gearboxes than I care to think about.