1uz wont rev over 4000 rpm

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

quent1

I have a 1uz-fe out of a celsiour that I have put into a 2wd toyota surf.
It is running the factory computer and v6 intank fuel pump,
It is able to be started and driver but will not rev over 4000 rpm.
Can anyone help with a idea how to fix it, Thanks

just a thought but if u are running the v6 tacho
maybe its hitting rev limit and since a 1uz has 4cly tacho output
and if u have a v6 tacho then 6000 rpm on the 1uz will show up as 4000 on yr tacho

could be many things
faultycrank wiring would prob make engine not start
unless its rubbed thru and only playing up sometimes even then if crank wires have open circuit enigne will stop

most of the probs ive seen have been 2000 or 2500 rev limit not 4000
alot fo guys have found unplugging air flow fixes this problem
so might be air flow or ecu problem
as afew guys have had faulty ecus as they are getting old now
anyway wire up a check light and see what codes u get

hi there,

how fresh is the fuel
you do need to run 95 or 98 octane fuel or better(engine is tuned for 100 octane fuel)?
i know that if you run low octane fuel like 91 in these engine, it will not rev over 4K as it has happen to me by mistake in the pass.

just my 2 cents worth
Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

im pretty sure they can run on cheap fuel
used to run my old 1uz on 91 often when i was tightasss on fuel heheh
if its a hard rev limit then usually a wiring prob
trying to find probs at hi revs is big pain in the buttt
best of putting it on dyno with timing light and fuel press gauge and checl mixtures too

still sounds like its hitting facotry rev cut and your tacho is out
to fit a hard rev limit at 4000 surely it should bring up a code cause its in limp mode
and ive only seen this happen below 2500 rpm

im pretty sure they can run on cheap fuel
used to run my old 1uz on 91 often when i was tightasss on fuel heheh

yep..no probs on 91..likes more though for get up and go..

could just be leads or plugs breaking down..have you checked them?what type of rpm limit wall are you getting? hard?(hitting rev limit) or soft..(like running out of fuel/plugs breaking down etc)was it good before swap?

Many thanks to all for their ideas, as it turns out the motor came with the wrong ignitors. changed them and now reves to 6500 rpm.

Attachments

• Lextreme-Decal.JPG
    Lextreme-Decal.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 12
thats good to hear

nothing worse than getting supplied the wrong parts
it shiets my big time
there is one place which has alot more stuff ups and wrong parts here in sydney
so i generally quote abit more cause 50% of time i can garantee there wil be problems

Seems like mine is doing the non-revving over the 2500 rpm mark starts fine just gets to 2000-ish and dies in the arse...might unplug the AFM and give it a go tomorrow or monday. Looks like same symptoms as Sideshow suggested. I was wondering can something like aerostart foul the AFM??
I did use a squirt to get it started the first time....
Also what fuel pressure does it like to run...Im using a bosch 044 fuel pump and the stock fuel reg with the engine......
this definately sounds electrical though...
How do I get codes from the diag plug?? and is there a link to the codes and fault reasons on the site?

If anyone has another problem like this: I just wired up a 1uz in my hiace. Brought it from jap spares and they gave me the wrong ignitors and it wouldnt rev over 4000rpm. changed the igniters and it reved to 6500. the correct igniters for the 1uz have 123 or 201 written on them, all of them have different plugs including the wrong ones i had, so gota get the plugs with them.

Thanks guys, went to Diag plug and W pin in missing and E1 does not have 12VDC. So I have it booked in to see Sideshow on Tuesday the 27th so will see what goes...

some factory diag plugs do have a w pin but most dont
the best diag plug sits under the dash but 99% of wiring jobs they dont supply
that plug so never gets wired in as the diag plug in enigne bay doesnt always work with diagnostic scanners and even then half the time the diagnostic scanners dont give u
enough info to tell u whats wrong
most fo time 4000 rpm limit is due to faulty or wrong parts
hopefully on tues we can sort it out

thanks heaps Sidey...looking forward to Tuesday. Ill bring the Carlton Colds and a wad of cash. Im hoping its something really simple.
As you have said in past posts this engine has sat for 2 years so sticking injectors, low fuel pressure due to a faulty reg could be any number of things. too hard to anaylise these issues over forum posts.

To Anodyne this installation is in a boat so no Soarer/LS400 dash...so no where to place a check engine light so Im flying blind.

No probe I doubt it's fuel press reg as it would not fail at 4000 rpm
and I've never seen one fail in over 100 1uzs
if engine doesn't have a miss all way up to 4000 then doubt it's injectors

Has timing belt been done
is the tacho set for 4 cyl
I have aces ignitors to try anyway incase u got wrong ones
anyway see u on tues

No probe I doubt it's fuel press reg as it would not fail at 4000 rpm
and I've never seen one fail in over 100 1uzs
if engine doesn't have a miss all way up to 4000 then doubt it's injectors
It seems to miss all way through the rev range now with a knock...

Has timing belt been done
Timing belt was done 10,000kms before the car was in an accident. The Timing belt was done at 165,000kms and the car had 175,000kms on it when i got there is a verication sticker on it when it was done on the distributor cover.

is the tacho set for 4 cyl
Tacho is not connected just yet...I might get you to do that as well as my fuel gauge 4000 rpm was estimate, but really its not making power at all now. Idles well
I have aces ignitors to try anyway incase u got wrong ones
Yep could well be the ignitors however I pulled the engine out of a running SC400.
anyway see u on tues

ok all is now revealed, the motor wouldnt rev past 2000rpm under load and did not have any power.
Took it to Sideshow and he was pretty quick to spot the fault, seized intake camshft left bank. Actually it broke the bolt holding the belt pulley on the cam. The engine amazingly still idled but as soon as it had some beans it was a no-goer./..
oh well back to the drawing board......

yeah !! who whould have guessed that one.....Gloverman said on another post that engines which have sat for a while are susceptible to the cams seizing. This engine has been sitting for 2 yrs since I took it out of the car. I however think that the Soarer I took it out of took a big impact and this may have been the ultimate cause of the problem.
Im still amazed the engine was idling with the right bank active.