1uz will not rev out or make power.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Aussie Drifter

Hi guys

I have finally got my supercharged drift car going. I entered it in a Drift practice day yesterday but I was unable to make power over half throttle. I tried everything that I could at the track including changing plug gap and coils with no success. The car seems to go better when it is cooler and gets worse as the temps go up. The engine temps seem to hang around 90deg so it isn’t excessively hot.

The first few outings the car went like a dream and had full power all the way through the rev range.

I am running a 2.3L Wipple pushing 12psi, with an Adaptronic ECU calling the shots. This is the 3rd engine I have had in this car, with the first one being my fault, the second giving up the go on the dyno (with the same rev type issue as this one) and now this one is not playing the game!

I put the second engine down to not having a big enough exhaust, Stock Log type into twin 2.5” with a “Y” into single 3”. (Stock Log type is all I can fit at present.) But when I went to the 3rd engine it seemed fine with the small exhausts, well until now! (I plan to cut the chassis rails out over X-mass so exhausts will not be a contributing factor any more.

Any thoughts on what the issue is? Or what I can check for?

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Could be a million things.

Do you do any data logs while you were driving?

Doing a simple data log will tell you exactly what trims were in place and what was happening beyond half throttle when it was hot.

Where is your air temp sensor and what parameters have you set up for air temp?

This is where I would start looking.

if you are going thru engines then its probably the tune

if an engine blows up on the dyno its either mechnical or tune related
and most good tuners should be able to stop before it blows
if the enigne is a 1uz that has not been pulled apart
once an enigne is pulled apart yu never know what problems can happen
due to there not being many good enigne builders out there these days
or no one wants to spend the money

sounds like something is making your enigne lean out
put a fuel presusre guage on it and test
and spend 400 to 500 bucks and put an air fuel meter gauge in it
its the best insurance u can have

the best ecu in the world is crap if the tuner puts a crap tune in it

My vote is some fuel related issue be it tune or failing pump. Whatever it is (and a zillion options as already stated) any decent tuner should be able to find the issue on a dyno in no time.

Sorry to hear ya having troubles. Seemed to be good at springnats!!! Im with sideshow, check your fuel pressure and work from there....... Does it stumble after half throttle or cut out... cheers kris

can you breakdown your fuel system size/specs from tank to injectors? Possible fuel pressure issue? Since your hitting full boost down low, your fuel should be strained down there too, so I suppose you could rule out the mechanical side of the fuel system. Maybe your TPS is out of range? And on that issue, if your running Adaptive mode I would think the ECU could pull everything to compensate? Cobber should be able to help you out but we need details.

Firstly Thanks for all of your input.

I think I stumbled upon the issue last night, I had the car idling at night and as everything was much quieter at home than when it was at the track, I could hear a rattling in the back.

My fuel pump was making a noise similar to that of a blender full of gravel. It ran rough for a bit then was fine, gave it a tap and it starts running rough again, as it got warmer the noise began to worsen. (NEW Bosch Motorsport 044 with less than 4 hours use)

I am hoping that this is all that it was. I have grabbed one off my mate and will take it for a run and give it a test, fingers crossed…

Never the less.
I have a Jazz 40L fuel cell, ¾” supply to the Bosch 044, ½” pressure line with an in-line high flow filter. Fuel rails are stock with stock fuel regs running 4ag-ze injectors. (360cc I think).

I spoke to Neil from Rush Imports last nights and we went through the ECU set up and tweaked a few things, but all in all everything was ok with the ECU side of things.

I have acquired an Innovative wide band O2 sensor, so I will install that and retune using the new “VE” mode on the 2.0 firmware update.

My Tuner
I use Shane from Whorouly Motors & Alpine Performance Centre. He is also an Adaptronic dealer and uses a Dyno Dynamics, Dyno.

I will keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks

Ahh Justen, finger on the pulse as always.

I recently had problems with my 044 as well (3,000km old) so I changed out to an in tank walbro HP 255 lt unit.

The 044 made the same coffee grinder sound you describe above, more so when it got hot or on a hot day. I changed out my fuel reg which I thought fixed the problem but it came back again when the pump warmed up.

I was running 100 micron pre strainer and 10 micron pressure filter both were clean.

Check your filters.

The Walbro is just about silent in comparison.

Let us know how you go.

044s are noisy buggers,, i should know i have x2 whirring away in the back ;) It's the large dia and rollers that make them noisy and they do make more noise when hot. They sound disturbingly 'rattly' but that's OK. If they sound like grinding then you probably do have an issue