1uz VVTi on Factory ECU without gearbox

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

TorqueOfTheDevil

Hi All

I am currently considering my options with an engine transplant into my Gen 3 Hilux Surf/4runner 3 litre diesel automatic.

I have aquired a 99 LS400 which has the VVti engine.

I have a few options open to me and I am trying to decide which route to take.

I could use the engine and gearbox off the LS400 on the factory ECU and 'graft the transfer box onto it. This is mechanically tricky as I can't find an off the shelf kit to do this.

I could use the engine with the Hilux A340/F gearbox and transfer box which means messing around with torque converter-flexplate-bell housing.

Big question! will the factory VVTi ecu run this without an autobox connected??? I would look to use a standalone gearbox control ecu.

I could just sell the LS400 and buy an earlier one, bearing in mind they are about 4x the price I paid for the car I have.

Any suggestions/advice much apreciated

Charlie

Thanks Stevieg,

We have just tried an experiment. We disconnected the main autobox multiplug which controls all the solenoids and took the car for a drive. The engine runs fine, we got a gearbox cheack light (flashing ect light) but the car was fine. (We manually shifted the gears using the shifter.)

There was no engine braking, I believe there is a overrun clutch solenoid which we must have disconnected. But that is not of concern.

The cruise control still worked but only if the shifter is in 4 or drive.

We did get up into the red (over 6000 rpm) in first but bottled it before getting to the rev limiter (we were doing over 100mph)

This makes me confident that the engine will run on the factory ecu with a different gearbox without throwing a check engine light (We did about 1 hour of driving in various conditions)

For another check I want to remove/disconnect the two speed sensors (the one by the bellhousing and the one on the tail housing) and repeat the same exercise.

The transfer to 1uz engine and trans is the cheapest and easier option. fitting the transfer to the auto isn't really that hard at all. there are some pretty good write ups on it.

Thanks Quarter.....

If the trans was a A340E from an earlier LS400, yes it would do totally doable with standard parts... but it's from a later VVTi LS400, and has the A650e 5 speed auto.

-I'll need a controler (suprastick)
-1UZ-> A340 Bell housing and probably the front cover that goes with it..
-and if the A650E torque converter is not compatible with the A340 I'll need the right one, and in turn may need to swap the flex plate to suit.

This stuff is all easy to get and fit.

To use the 5 speed I'll need, custom output, transfer to gearbox section, and most probably custom/modified propshafts, transfer shifter, etc.

It'll probably double the cost of this conversion!

Cheers Vince ;)

Good to know about the bits.. I wish I still had a working EPC to compare part numbers...

I was thinking of running with http://www.latentsolutions.com/suprastickuv.html
But the spitronics unit looks good too, (software looks nicer)

I was thinking of using the stock surf A340F, same ratios, bigger oil pan, and I already have it :D

Saying as I'm going to have to go standalone with the management anyway, what would the benefit be for using a Lexus one? (Edit: input shafts... bugger...)

I have heard snippits about people saying they think that the Lexus version has uprated clutch packs etc...

Edit: Who needs an EPC these days? Toyodiy.com is my new friend.

For the record:

P/N: 32000-30350 (Torque converter)
10/1994-07/2000 LEXUS LS400 UCF20 35-02: TORQUE CONVERTER, FRONT OIL PUMP & CHAIN (ATM)

P/N: 35111-50010 (Bellhousing)
Date range Model Frames/Options Found in diagram
05/2001-06/2010 LEXUS SC430 UZZ40 35-03: TRANSMISSION CASE & OIL PAN (ATM)
08/1997-12/2004 LEXUS GS300/430 JZS160,UZS161 35-03: TRANSMISSION CASE & OIL PAN (ATM)
12/1989-09/1994 LEXUS LS400 UCF10 35-03: TRANSMISSION CASE & OIL PAN (ATM)
10/1994-07/2000 LEXUS LS400 UCF20 35-03: TRANSMISSION CASE & OIL PAN (ATM)

08/2000-07/2006 LEXUS LS430 UCF30 35-03: TRANSMISSION CASE & OIL PAN (ATM)

So torque converter and bellhousing apear to have the same part number... WIN! - I can't find the access panel at the bottom.. its not (obviously) listed with the other bits, but I assume it matches the bellhousing, and is therefore the same.

Last edited:
The VVti do run fine on the stock ECU without the auto box. There are a couple of behind the scenes bits and pieces I want to tidy up but I have them running fine without any check lights. Done around 20 VVti conversions now. Most are manual but a few are using the auto. We have used both a Surf 4x4 transfer case (search Vcross for photos) and a prado offset output transfer. The VVti with the 5 speed ratios work awesome in offroad applications with the low first gear. Im presently working on a manual VVti setup which I can interchange the stock ECU and an Aftermarket ECU so I can run them back to back on the dyno to compare results.