1uz underpowered in 4 Runner

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mico

Hi all,
I have just finished putting a V8 in my 4Runner and finally took it for a drive, the engine doesn't seem to pull like it should (a mate has a soarer and it doesn't pull anything like it) feels very sluggish, doesn't miss or backfire. I am running standard Crown ecu seems slow revving in neutral as well. Anybody got any thoughts about what might cause this???

cheers
Mico

It sounds like it's in "limp" mode.

You can try the longer drive and see if it improves. If not start looking for a sensor that is disconnected.

Try downloading the codes to see if this will give you a lead.

Did the 1UZ run OK before the conversion?

Most of us can tell you but do a search. You'll learn a lot more that way.

I don't think you will have a faulty sensor/sender rather a simple wiring error.

mico said:
Hi all,
I have just finished putting a V8 in my 4Runner and finally took it for a drive, the engine doesn't seem to pull like it should (a mate has a soarer and it doesn't pull anything like it) feels very sluggish, doesn't miss or backfire. I am running standard Crown ecu seems slow revving in neutral as well. Anybody got any thoughts about what might cause this???

cheers
Mico
Which model crown? Mine is a UZS141 and also not running as well as the soarer and celsior I have here, and I'm going to fully rewire it this weekend.

does it feel like a std v8 commodore

its probably normal mine goes ok but doesnt get me excited anymore heheh

when in neutral put a timing light on it and rev it up hi the timing marks should move up to around 30 degrees advance over 4000 rpm

if the timing is stayin at fixed spot when u rev it then its wired up wrong or a prob with sensor

or have u done the timing belt maybe its a tooth out somewhere making it retarded
this would make the exhaust get red hot too when driving

the ecu does not learn much after driving it or reseting it

just mainly very slight mixture adjustments and the base and cold idle

i reset mine once a week sometimes and still goes just as good

the crowns have about 10 kws less than the soarers i think

is the car auto or manual

autos feel sluggish unless u shift them manually

if its auto it might be in wrong gear aswell depending if u got speed signals hooked up correct

Mines the opposite, at first I was sceptical. My only other V8 was my '01 XR8 Ute, so I was comparing to that. Then I remembered it's 2 tonne and 33" tyres.

Anyways, I soon noticed it getting better. I'm happy with it now, I know I can't race fast cars, but it still fly's for a 4WD.

Oh, and remember that the power is up high mate, don't expect anything under 3k to be exciting.

And.... We'll defintaley hook up for a drive soon ;)