1UZ swap into Series 2 RX7

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi all,
No welding mate, not on brake mounts.

Need to remachine. Bugger all weight difference if you use steel but even a 1 or 2mm thicker alloy plate as a solid plate would be plenty strong enough.
Cheers Justen, that was the conclusion that we'd come to. I'm going to see a local machine shop this morning as the guy that originally made them has moved to Oz..

I never welded Aluminum dont know heat bends it the same as steel, but wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to re-make outta 6mm chromemoly ?, ooo, what about taking that to machine shop that can make extras and selling off a few to the open trademe market, add in enough to get them for free.

Ali TIG would probably minimise the warpage, but with brakes I'm thinking it's just not worth the risk. The ali we used was 13mm thick and the machined surfaces where the callipers sit is 10mm, so will likely make it out of 10mm steel, with more meat around the important parts.

Cheers again for the advice.

I just got back from the machine shop. The new ones are getting made out of T6 grade ali and will have the important bits bridged in (see pic). With a bit of luck they'll be back on Thursday, and hopefully back on the car for Friday (after showing the certifier).

Cheers Justen.
the machine shop are nearly done, so the mounts should be ready by lunch today. Then we'll take a quick trip down to the certifier so that he can sight them, and he'll send away the certification papers.... brilliant. The certifier has already done the warrant checks, so as soon as the plate turns up (middle of next week) he'll rivet it to the RX7 firewall, slap a warrant on it and we're all go.

Then I guess we'll find some windy roads and give it heaps; oh and I'll take the vid cam with me so team Lextreme can see how she runs.

Here's a pic of the new mounts, with the old ones there for comparison. Much beefier indeed.

The guy in the machine shop was great to deal with, and the price was pretty decent too.

They'll be on the car this evening.

Cheers Andrew.
We're still waiting to get the cert plate fitted which is a pain in the a$#e, the certifier has been ill and only got the cert papers sent away today. I'm guessing that it will be mid to late next week before the plate arrives...

1UZRX7 Stage 1 finished

Hi all.

here are a few snaps of the finished car. The paint and panel work will get done at a later date, and we're still tossing up whether the money would be better spent on a decent FI setup.

Actually, I'll start a poll and see what others reckon...

Cheers,

NickM

Awesome mate...

PS if you are just after a "race" paint job, a mate can do them from time to time...

Also, you thought about cutting out the spare tyre well? Bit of weight savings etc there.

Cheers lads.
Justen - I agree, a 10m paint job will be fine initially, leaving more money to be spent on go fast parts.
Andrew - we were originally going to mount the surge tank and filter in there but decided not to, and I think Chris is pretty keen on keeping the body work hacking to a minimium.

Cheers to Zuffen too for seeing that we hadn't threaded the rear mount points onto the cage properly, it was the first time we'd actually installed new harnesses. For those of you that don't know what I mean, if you check out 'looking in boot.jpg' in my post above you'll see that the rear harness straps need to be threaded back on themselves again so that the free strap passes once more through the rear of the steel buckle.

Just went for a trip to the certifier to get the plate attached and the warrant/rego so it is all now officially legal. We took it for a short burst down the motorway and while there's plenty of power there (and instant too), some FI wouldn't go to waste. Gear ratios aren't too bad, it's at about 2,900rpm @ 100km/hr.

Nick

Cheers spf.
Just weighed the car, it's 1115kg with a 3/4 full tank of gas. Haven't got the individual weights of all 4 corners, but will do that at some stage. It matches almost exactly with an original series 2 RX7 that came out of the factory at 1100kg without fuel.

Hi all.
We took the 1UZRX7 to the track for the first time last Friday, to iron out any bugs and get the car set up properly. The car went well and felt pretty good. There's an interesting vibration coming from the rear once the car reaches about 110Mph, the source of which we need to identify before the next track day (first thought is driveshaft, but that has been balanced...)

The in-car footage looks painfully slow and you'll hear a few scraping noises in the vid (the race tires are slightly wider than the road ones and rub on the guards slightly)

Anyway, here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1fuv86bwg

It could still be the shaft Muzza...balancing is only as good as the balancer. It's worth getting checked as throwing tailshaft can be about the scariest ride you can have.

Could also be a slightly worn CV hitting right harmonic? or you threw a wheel balance weight?

Good point Justen, we'll look at rebalancing the shaft if nothing obvious presents itself. It's quite possible that one of the wheel weights has gone MIA, I suppose the one of the drive shaft universals could be worn too. Will check it out.