Interested in seeing pics if you have them! Thx for taking the time to keep us posted.Lots has been happening since the last update.
More to come...
- Tailshaft has been built
- A340 auto now works with the factory BMW shifter
- Manifolds have been constructed
- Turbocharger has been purchased (GT3582R)
Hi, Thankyou for your post, it is by far the most informative I’ve found. I’m doing the same build with rear sump soarer 1UZ. I’m going to do the sump adapter plate myself. Do you know anyone that has the custom headers?Having never removed an engine from a BMW before, you can imagine my delight when I found the entire front end can be easily removed and it has made this job so much easier! With the 1UZ and auto trans sitting in place on some little blocks of wood, I can begin measuring up the engine mounts, sump, tailshaft and gearbox crossmember.
View attachment 14007
View attachment 14008
View attachment 14009
View attachment 14010
View attachment 14011
After a day of fettling I have come to many conclusions:
- The original (rear) sump can be used with an adapter plate
- The original E36 engine mounts will be retained
- The original Soarer trans mount will be retained
- The E36 tailshaft can be cut and shut with Soarer flange
- Neither the Soarer or LS400 exhaust manifolds will fit unless they are butchered - so manifolds will need to be made
- Wiring is going to be the easiest part of the conversion. BMWs are great in this respect
- Fuel lines are on the correct side of the motor and should adapt easily
- Power steering hoses will only require 2 short lines to be custom made by a hose specialist
- Coolant hoses TBA
- Vacuum hoses TBA
- Aircon will not be retained and I need to leave the area free just in case forced induction happens