1UZ into E36 3 series

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZE36

Hi all. I know this has been done many, many times before, but I can't seem to find a definitive list, or thread, listing all the requirements and sources. I have a '95 rear sump 1UZ, mated to a R150 box, and a '99 318i sedan. So, where do I go from here . . . . . . ?
Cheers

You won't find a definitive list because this engine swap is not a recipe. It will vary depending on gearbox, induction type, and your ability to fabricate parts or pay someone to fabricate them for you.

For example, Cybul make off-the-shelf mounts BMW E36 1UZ-FE engine mounts - CYBUL but these are only suitable with their sump. Those two alone will set you back $1500 USD. Where this kit places your gearbox, who knows? Then, you need to modify headers to make them fit or custom make your own.

Having lived and breathed this conversion for over a year now, I know exactly what you're in for.

So far, the problems I've solved are:
  • Build engine & transmission mounts
  • Modify sump & oil pickup
  • Modify shifter linkages (auto)
  • Build headers and mount turbo
  • Wiring engine management & adapt Toyota to BMW
  • Throttle cable
  • Brake upgrade (E46 330i front & rear)
  • Tailshaft made to suit
  • Steering linkage
The problems I've yet to solve are:
  • Turbo oil, coolant, intake & exhaust
  • Install electric PS pump & lines (lines only without the turbo)
  • Radiator & cooling system mods
  • Heater lines (this looks like a nightmare)
  • Fuel pump, filter & line upgrades
  • Evap cannister
This by no means is then end of it though...

Thanks for the response Patrick. Ive read your thread with great interest, and sent you a message. I'm staying with NA, and fabrication is no problem, it's my trade (Even headers, I've made several sets, and modified aftermarket over a number of engine conversions, even including 2 stroke expansion chambers). What I find daunting is the electronic integration. Cooling and power steering have never been a hugely difficult component of conversions in the past, as they're primarily achieved with flexible pipes . . . I was interested in your sump mod, as in the past I have generally reengineered the crossmembers to accommodate the sump (except the 265 Hemi into the Nissan 280, I made a custom sump and pickup for that one). Engine and trans mounts are normally the simplest part of any conversion. Throttle cable and hydraulics aren't usually a problem either, with a little forethought. The fuel pump I was thinking of using the M3 unit, as it physically fits the same poly tank, and would save me messing with the level sender, and the bizarre siphon and balance system for the pannier style twin tanks. Flow rate of about 220lpm seems about right for a stock series1 1UZ ? Anyway, I guess I'll just launch in as I usually do, and cross each bridge as I get to it. Thanks again mate.

The electronics were relatively easy, just time consuming. The X20 plug has almost everything you'll need to interface with the 1UZ to the E36 - Ignition on, starter, tach, oil pressure, coolant temp, alternator charge, MIL, fuel pump etc. Just find the correct wiring diagram for your engine and your car then start mapping it out.

Last edited: