1UZ differences LS400 vs GS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GSMnow

I am still in the research phase of my swap, and I understand the LS400 has a front sump oil pan which should fit into my 83 RA65 Celica. But I have not been able to locate an early (89 - 94) LS400 donor car yet. But my friend has found a (he thinks 94) GS400 that was rear ended. I can get the whole car for about $2200 USD but I think it is mid or rear sump. Does anyone know for sure? Also is a 94 GS going to have an OBD I or OBD II ECU? Is it still 2 distributors or did it go to coil packs in 94?? He is still looking for an LS400 for me, but still has not come accross one in my price range.

I do want the whole car since I must do a complete transfer of all engine systems to make the drive train completely emissions corect for California. If I go with an OBD II it must report everything correct at the data link. This would even include the emissions canister and fuel tank leak checking.

Thanks for any info

Gary Meissner
[email protected]

Thanks.

He must have the wrong year. I thought the GS400 was more recent that 94 also.

I don't think I want to tackle an OBD II swap from 2500 miles away. I will tell him to keep looking for an 89 - 94 LS-400. This is certainly a more powerful engine, but it is also double the wiring to make it all work.

Gary M.

I think I am going to look for a whold car a bit longer. I need alot of parts out of the car and want to make sure it all runs before I start the conversion. Since I am going to be using the auto trans as well, I will also shag the shifter out of the console.

I am budjeting this project at about $4000 USD to buy the car and get a few parts made and hopefully cover some of the labor I will have to have someone else due before I fly back to finish it up. My friend back in Chicago has done quite a few odd ball engine swaps and can probably make it all run by himself, but that means I will be paying him for all the labor. He will also be storing the cars for me, the donor LS400 and my Celica.

Now I will probably end up with a Federal non CA engine in Chicago. But I don't think this will be an issue since the car will come to California already converted. So once again I will have to make a call to a CARB Referee center. I am going to pass it off as being done a few years ago. I have owned the car in Chicago since 1991 and I did run it turboed since 93. I will just say I was not able to ghet the car transported since I moved here, and that will be the truth.

Gary M.