1993 LS 400 warm weather starting pro

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

DNTOEARTHMAN

The car has 210K and runs and starts great with one exception. During the initial start up or after it has set a couple of hours and the ambient air temp is above 50-60 deg. The engine will make several ! revolutions before firing up. You can turn it off and it fires right up. When it's cold out there it's never a problem starting.

Could be a starter on it's way out. Do you know the mileage on the starter? If it's the OEM than I would start there. I had a very similar starter issue on my LS at 200k. It's possible that once the starter is heated up it is seeing excessive resistance from poor contacts (due to age) that would be fine when cold.

Just an idea.

I don't know if that's a starter issue that the thread starter is describing. It seems to me that the starter is doing its job just fine by turning the engine over, the issue is the number of turns it takes to start the motor. Perhaps its building fuel pressure too slowly.

Unscrew the fuel cap and try it, you may find the vent inside it is blocked which will then require a replacement

Thanks

Thanks to all, diffintly not the starter, changed it out a will back and turns over just fine even when engine is HOT, I'll try the fuel cap vent, thtas easy enough, I'll also do a fuel pressure check and let you know what's up with it.

Cold Start Injector Problem

I am not sure what signals this additional fuel injector, but I disconnected the vacum source to it and it now starts up instantly in warm/hot weather.

fuel cap

Unscrew the fuel cap and try it, you may find the vent inside it is blocked which will then require a replacement

I have unscrewed the fuel cap after the car had set in the sun most of the day and there was definetly positve pressure in the tank, attemted to start but with the same problem and noticed it was very rich with fuel. The next day I left the cap loose all day and went to start that afternoon and it fired right up. I am wondering if fuel is being forced into the intake because of this presssure, perhaps thru the cold start valve

If the tank is pressurising I would suspect the breather t the tank is blocked.

Not sure of the set up but suspect it goes through the charcoal canister. You could have something simple link a Wasp's nest in the outlet.

I've seen this on a crashed plane where the fuel gauges slowly read higher as the tanks were folding up due to the fuel not being replaced by air. Finally got to the point the pump couldn't work against the vacuum anymore and it crashed landed.