1986 toyota pickup... my 3rd 1UZ swap project.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jake Breyck

well folks i need another daily driver after i sold my s13 to pay for finishing my supra ive been useing the supra to get around, but the supra was never ment to be a daily driver, so earlyer this week i picked up a 1986 toyota pickup in fairly good shape for $400 Score!!!

The motor was bad in it, and the guy i got it from had it all apart in an attempt to fix it. the bed has some rust and the tailgate just needs replaced but aside from two small spots the cab is super clean..

So my plan for the truck is to put a 1uz into it but keep it all stock looking stock air box, all the engine covers in place. cruse, ac, ps, heat, hydo fan(if it fits) exterior will look basicly how it looks now, stock, exhaust will be quiet.

So im looking for a small bit of input tho...

Should i use a 1UZ 2UZ or 2UR?
Should i just use the W55 or get a W58 for it for the better gearing?
Any of you 1uz truck swap guys have any input please feel free.

Also thanks to matt for the pics and help!!!

Now for the pics...

IMG_5875-900.JPG

Heres the reason the tailgate needs to be replaced..
IMG_5879-900.JPG

engine bay as i receved it.
IMG_5880-900.JPG

blown 22R being relieved of duty. also knotice my corolla still being neglected. poor poor corolla.

IMG_5896-900.JPG

Engine bay more cleaned out.
IMG_5902-900.JPG

You already heard it from me.... 1uz... 2uz would be awesome... but too expensive for this project I think. If DD is in mind... gas mileage is less. W58 would be nice for longer gearing.

Oh yeah...... Glad I got to help ripping this thing apart!

Little update, worked on motor mounts with chris's (cjsupra90) help, they are still far from done but heres a few teaser pics of the 1uz block in the engine bay
Image012.jpg
Image013.jpg
Image014.jpg

Wow, jeeze you can get it low in a 2WD! I can barely shut my bonnet and the motor is only an inch off the steering.

Gearbox's I can't comment on in regards to the W series, never touched them. My first thought would have been R154 Supra.

great work. im planning on doing a 1uz with w58 swap into my 91 2wd truck this summer. i currently have a 7mge with the w55 in it.
any lessons you learn in the process (mounts, wiring etc) will be appreciated.

I'm doing an 86 too. Mine started as a diesil though and auto. Currently has a GM 308 in it with TH400. I'm ditching the pushrod gas guzzler but might keep the TH400 and buy an adaptor for the UZ?early UZ all the way though....how easy a single T will fit in there :)

great work. im planning on doing a 1uz with w58 swap into my 91 2wd truck this summer. i currently have a 7mge with the w55 in it.
any lessons you learn in the process (mounts, wiring etc) will be appreciated.

im almost done with the mounts, but im desing them in a way that i can reproduce them and sell them as kits, although some welding would be required

justin - I might get bored with the all stock look after a wile and slap a turbo on it later on. who knows, im open to that or open to selling it after ive had my fun becouse i really want a lx450(landcruser prado) and put a massive turbo on the massive Inline6

1000th post.

Look to the Arabs for inspiration :) crazy buggers have some totally mad turbo 4WD sixes...both Toyo and Nissan.

There's one in an MS-75 Crwon over here that was pulling 10's and god knows what it'll do once it's back on the road with the new big dollar custom setup

Ive seen the arabs, but i was thinking huge turbo at 5ish psi all stock motor, make it look all clean for the wow factor more then anything else.