1 UZ FE into Mercedes 500 SEC W126 (1982)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Merxus

I am converting an 82 Merc sec from the 5 litre Merc v8 to the Lexus 4 litre 1uzfe v8.
Why? I hear everyone ask, well it was getting 15 mpg, the engine was tired and the scrap values have gone up, I saved it from becoming a fridge, this car will live to see another day (if I can get help with the wiring that is)!!

Maybe anyone reading this has considered doing the same swap so maybe this will help and hopefully others will help me.

Okay things to consider:
1. Engine will fit in the engine bay and clear the crossmember (if you have a front sumped engine).
2. chassis rails arent wide enough for exhaust manifolds (Ls400 engine type).
3. Steering box will pretty much take up all of the room for the driverside exhaust manifold downpipe.
4. if using the Lexus gearbox, gear linkage is on the wrong side.

These are my obstacles so far.

I decided to keep the steering box as opposed to getting a rack and pinion due to poor facilities where the car is parked and being worked on.
I mounted the engine quite high and forward, or so I think, its hard to gauge with the car up on axle stands and no rad in it etc. Although the bonnet does close with no problems.
I reworked the driverside exhaust manifold to bring it closer to the engine, it is clear of the steering box but there is no room for a downpipe, therefore I had to construct an "up-pipe", I will bring the pipe up and over the steering box, this is ugly and I am not sure it will work but if it does then I don't mind.
The steering linkage rubs the bottom of the bell housing on full lock to the right but a bit of grinding will sort that out.
I used the lexus rubber gearbox mount cuopled to the Merc metal plate.
I used the Merc rubber engine mounts coupled to the lexus engine brackets by means of 2 bolts welded to a small plate in opposing directions.

The propshaft belongs to the Lexus gearbox, the spline end actually fitted the Merc splines so all I had to do was get in legthened to 29.5 inches, this will be different depending on how far forward or back you sit the engine.

The gear linkage for the Lexus box is on the right hand side, the Merc link is on the left, I have yet to overcome this.

What I havent done yet is the wiring! I plan to use the Lexus LS400 dash cluster in the Merc as I like it.

I removed the entire wiring loom from the Lexus but then when I had it out I started cutting it up trying to figure it out!!

Any help on wiring up the engine and the dash from the Lexus??

I will post pictures on Sat.

Still working on mine (W113), Engine/gearbox/prop shaft in, almost all wiring finished. Starts and drives...had to convert to rack and pinion as no room for the steering box, now have a lot more room and nice light steering.

You can reverse the merc shifter as the pattern is the back to front compared to the lexus, however I used some of the old lexus shifter and fabricated the rest.

I didn't want to alter the dash so used some VDO dials that fitted into the standard holes.

Good luck with the conversion.

Thanks for the reply.
I still have a few issues to overcome like exhaust manifolds and the shifter but my biggest problem that I am tackling is the wiring. I just cant seem to get my head around it. I like doing diesel conversions but this is my first ecu controlled motor.
Did you document your wiring procedure by any chance??? :)

Hi Merxus,

I also have a merc 500 sec with the engine dismantled.

would like to install a lexus engine and gearbox.

would u recommend it after your experience?

thanks
c