1UZ to Mercedes 280E w114(/8) 1974. Its posible ???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

THE DIESEL

Hello-my name is Jury, I from Ukraine, have bought a Mercedes w114 (/8 1974, very much I wish to put 1UZFE, prompt-with what difficulties to me it is necessary to work?

Jury,

Firstly welcome.

I don't think this has been done before so I'd start with a tape measure and see if you can fit the engine in the bay.

Engine is 700mm high, 700mm wide at the heads & 700mm long.

The heads being so big causes the exhaust manifolds to be quite wide.

The next thing I would look at is sump position.

There are three sump variations. Front, mid and rear.

Last concern would be to see if there was enough room in the transmission tunnel for the gearbox.

Lastly can the W114 differential take the torque?

Thank you for sizes. Tell who knows LT-1 vs 1UZ - what of them will put easier?

Torque its no problem,body I will strengthen

excuse for my english-i use translator...

I never new Mercedes used a rack.

I thought they were all worm & nut (or simillar) until quite recently.

An LS1 will fit much easier than a 1UZ as it is much smaller.

ive wired up an ls1 into a 94 merc
and a 1jz into an earlier merc and also a 2j into 93 merc

the ls1 into the 94 merc was major job with fabricating
everything underneath was tight and like others said u ned to mod steering somehow
think this one had section cut out of crossmember or chassis and something moved
and it was auto so had auto tranny hoses and power steering hoses etc etc underneath
so not much room for exhaust
cant remember as it was awhile ago

apart form that its usual fabrication stuff
and u shold be able to get most of the merc dash to work
i actually wired up the 2jz dash into the last merc i did which had a 2jzgte motor in it

The steering rack is usually right in the way of the exhaust but also can foul on the side of the engine. Mercedes when doing v8 versions of their own cars push the engine further forward with a longer driveshaft. With the amount of engineering to get the suspension balanced right its easier to just replace the steering rack. Easier again to use the toyota turbo sixes. See if you can dummy fit an engine to see the actual clearances.

The steering rack is usually right in the way of the exhaust but also can foul on the side of the engine. Mercedes when doing v8 versions of their own cars push the engine further forward with a longer driveshaft. With the amount of engineering to get the suspension balanced right its easier to just replace the steering rack. Easier again to use the toyota turbo sixes. See if you can dummy fit an engine to see the actual clearances.

Thanks for the advice. The dimmy fit of the engine isn't actually an option as I need to buy the engine to dummy fit it, so kind of a catch 22 situation. I'm in South Africa and the imported engines are quite expensive here (R8000 including the gearbox), so I will have to measure till I'm blue in the face.

When the steering racks are swapped out on the W115, do you know what steering rack is used in its place or can you maybe move the standard steering rack?

Thanks for being so helpful so far.