Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Great results considering the circumstances. It is unreal the numbers you guys are getting out of the old girl, especially for such a docile streetcar. That car right there, is the definition of Jekyll & Hyde! Awesome work, let the numbers roll.

Great results considering the circumstances. It is unreal the numbers you guys are getting out of the old girl, especially for such a docile streetcar. That car right there, is the definition of Jekyll & Hyde! Awesome work, let the numbers roll.

everyone there was ecstatic the conditions showed just how tuff it was. had it been a cool fresh nite i was confident we could have seen at least another 30rwhp on the same boost. i was following Joe home from Rigoli's that night and i kept beeping my horn, he kept pulling over to the side thinking something was wrong :p

we are going to put some bigger turbo's on in the future which should see an even better gain in HP.

Yeah it's great watching what you and others are getting out of these engines....makes me feel that i'll never need more than 400rwkw and they can do that standing on their ear :)

By the way Paulie, you mentioned about there not being many videos of 1uz powered vehicles around the net...

I'm not sure how many of you here are familiar with this Hilux but it is a local ute from around here, the owner has his own fabrication business and as far as I am aware has done all the work himself. Beautiful piece of machinery. I briefly spoke to the owner a while back at Willowbank where he was having a couple of teething issues and ended the night by destroying the manual transmission it was running at the time. It has since been converted to an automatic and to my knowledge was making around 350rwhp and running about mid 11s.

I didn't make it out to this event but stumbled across a few vids of it on the dyno and out on the track. Needless to say it, he is also starting to unleash the inner beast of these engines.

Dyno run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdZWnsKrAuk&feature=related

Track time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H32sT13UWrM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mVHwA1VA0w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWykG4x5KCY&feature=related

nice vids Chris, where the hell has that one been hiding :eek: i usually just put 1uz turbo in for a search, never had that one come up :mad:

any more details on it?

Haha, yeh I havnt seen anything around the internet about it apart from those few videos.

Unfortunately I don't have anymore details on it, only had a brief chance to speak to the owner last time and havn't seen him around since. Been hoping to run into him again to find out abit more, especially after seeing how its performing nowadays, but I guess he must keep rather busy with his business.

popped down to Vince's on Friday we put some TurboSmart springs in for more pressure as the Turbonetics wastegate he runs are discontinued, so it was hard to find a spring. ran it up with the boost controller off, made just over 500rwhp@10psi, we were very surprised to see that much. i told him to drive with the e-Boost2 off now that we know exactly how much pressure and power it makes, he didn't listen :p tidied up the tune a little bit and the new springs allowed us couple more psi of boost, made 910rwhp on just over 29psi, going to have some 15-18lb springs made up for it so we can turn up the boost. no pics or video's unfortunately weren't expecting to run it up today. the car sounds alot more crisp.

took the car out on Sunday for the Sydney Jamboree, did a burnout and staged, launched and gearbox went about 40ft into the run :D it wasn't an unexpected thing, we actually were talking about it Friday night :p the box has seen alot of use, at least a couple hundred passes when it was a 302ci Windsor (10.5@127) it was never built to handle the power we are running thru it now, it's just all the standard goodies, maybe good for 800-850hp, not 1000+hp. though did get a good 50+ 1000+hp passes from her, opened the box up Tuesday and as we thought the planetary was gone. this was the first time in 22 years of racing (100's of street meets and ANDRA events) the Capri has never finished an event or couldn't be driven home. that is a pretty damn good record :D the more power u pump in the more drama's u can usually expect to have. new box has been ordered and hopefully will be back out in the next week or 2.

we have ordered a 1500-2000hp Powerglide, we were just waiting for the box to be on it's last legs :eek: Joe was in good spirits just upset he didn't get to do a run, because he said it left like it was on a mission. alot of cars pulled out because of problems, the track was beautifully prepped, alot of cars were PBing.

last launch ever, poor gearbox
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPrasac#p/a/u/1/6xUAdeV8pRw

Ah at least it was for a major reason ...
Yea the trans brake gives them grief and your getting harder and harder "on it" as power increases...

See what you get for using that nasty GM stuff!!! :p Certainly left pretty damn hard though. Can't wait to see the full quarter results if it keeps that attitude up. Are you guys planning to run at the Nitro Champs?

On a side note, I finally got my 11 second pass out of the Hilux! Was only just, 11.96 @ 113, but still has those important doubles ones at the front, haha, and is a sign of things to come with some better weather and maybe a couple tweeks :D

See what you get for using that nasty GM stuff!!! :p Certainly left pretty damn hard though. Can't wait to see the full quarter results if it keeps that attitude up. Are you guys planning to run at the Nitro Champs?

On a side note, I finally got my 11 second pass out of the Hilux! Was only just, 11.96 @ 113, but still has those important doubles ones at the front, haha, and is a sign of things to come with some better weather and maybe a couple tweeks :D

congrats mate, that is great to hear. yeah doesn't matter if it's 11.999 its still an 11 ;)

if we get the car sorted, new box in time we will probably take it out. Joe seems to think it left hard that launch, can't wait to see what it does with the new box in. we are hoping 8.1's :D

congrats mate, that is great to hear. yeah doesn't matter if it's 11.999 its still an 11 ;)

if we get the car sorted, new box in time we will probably take it out. Joe seems to think it left hard that launch, can't wait to see what it does with the new box in. we are hoping 8.1's :D

Thanks Paulie. Haha, yeh that is the way I am looking at it. That was in full street trim too, so a little bit more time to be found there yet hopefully.

We are bringing our Capri down to race at that meet along with a few other local racers, so it would definitely be awesome to see the Lexus powered rocket strutting its stuff in person. Those numbers can't be too far away now, you's are certainly headed in the right direction. :)

Thanks Paulie. Haha, yeh that is the way I am looking at it. That was in full street trim too, so a little bit more time to be found there yet hopefully.

We are bringing our Capri down to race at that meet along with a few other local racers, so it would definitely be awesome to see the Lexus powered rocket strutting its stuff in person. Those numbers can't be too far away now, you's are certainly headed in the right direction. :)

box should be here at the end of next week. he hasn't mentioned anything about the Nitro Champs not sure if because he doesn't want to race then or he may not even know it's on, but i will see if i can twist his arm and get him to race then :p

box should be here at the end of next week. he hasn't mentioned anything about the Nitro Champs not sure if because he doesn't want to race then or he may not even know it's on, but i will see if i can twist his arm and get him to race then :p

I see you couldn't twist his arm far enough hey? Oh well, I will have to wait til you guys come up this way now, haha. Looks like it is shaping up to be a good meeting though, pretty descent entry list for all categories.

So who is building the box for you guys anyways?

I see you couldn't twist his arm far enough hey? Oh well, I will have to wait til you guys come up this way now, haha. Looks like it is shaping up to be a good meeting though, pretty descent entry list for all categories.

So who is building the box for you guys anyways?

nah, they wanted nearly $900 to enter it wasn't worth it. cheap entries closed a week or so ago.

box is being built by Keith Neal in the US www.nealtrans.com we were going to have Norm build one but even he said give Campo a call. i ordered the bits that go in the Pro Series box for mine, good for 2700hp. hopefully gets here this week and Norm can get cracking first thing next week.

nice lil feature on the car in this month's Street Machine (May 2011), Simon (editor) was very happy with the pics he sent me a couple after the photographer finished, unfortunately, i saved them in my inbox and they disappeared after 45 days (DAMN TPG!! :doh ) we were always a little worried about going quad cam, let alone a Toyota/Lexus engine, but we have received a good reception from everyone so far.

this is the issue, on sale 19th April
6a00d834540dd169e2014e87e67b2a970d-pi.jpg

6a00d834540dd169e2014e61074254970c-pi.jpg

nah, they wanted nearly $900 to enter it wasn't worth it. cheap entries closed a week or so ago.

box is being built by Keith Neal in the US www.nealtrans.com we were going to have Norm build one but even he said give Campo a call. i ordered the bits that go in the Pro Series box for mine, good for 2700hp. hopefully gets here this week and Norm can get cracking first thing next week.

nice lil feature on the car in this month's Street Machine (May 2011), Simon (editor) was very happy with the pics he sent me a couple after the photographer finished, unfortunately, i saved them in my inbox and they disappeared after 45 days (DAMN TPG!! :doh ) we were always a little worried about going quad cam, let alone a Toyota/Lexus engine, but we have received a good reception from everyone so far.

Yes, a nice little quick money making scheme for SD there isn't it...

Well it will be good to see the outcome with the new box, it should definitely be up to the task if recommended by Campo.

Just finished reading through the latest Street Machine. I have to say, what a great feature, amazing shots (even if he didn't clean all the rubber off the trans cooler, haha) with a good read to accompany. Very well deserved pat on the back for everyone envolved.

No doubt if you have seen your brother's feature in the mag, you have also seen the small feature in the back of the Hilux that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I must say, once he gets that all sorted out and tamed down a bit, it should definitely run some big numbers as mentioned in the article. Especially after seeing it out testing at the T'n'T last night. Was a sight to see and hear, near idling off the line then just screaming into life, turbos spooling up and just blowing the tyres off everytime, picking the wheels up on a cpl stabs off the throttle til he made the safe choice and putted down the track. Might turn out to be a bit of healthy competition for your brother, minus the street credibility of course.

It is great to see these little motors starting to really get out there and as you mentioned being rather well received too. Definitely keeping me well motivated to get out there and enjoy my toy and push it just that bit further :D

Yes, a nice little quick money making scheme for SD there isn't it...

Well it will be good to see the outcome with the new box, it should definitely be up to the task if recommended by Campo.

Just finished reading through the latest Street Machine. I have to say, what a great feature, amazing shots (even if he didn't clean all the rubber off the trans cooler, haha) with a good read to accompany. Very well deserved pat on the back for everyone envolved.

No doubt if you have seen your brother's feature in the mag, you have also seen the small feature in the back of the Hilux that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I must say, once he gets that all sorted out and tamed down a bit, it should definitely run some big numbers as mentioned in the article. Especially after seeing it out testing at the T'n'T last night. Was a sight to see and hear, near idling off the line then just screaming into life, turbos spooling up and just blowing the tyres off everytime, picking the wheels up on a cpl stabs off the throttle til he made the safe choice and putted down the track. Might turn out to be a bit of healthy competition for your brother, minus the street credibility of course.

It is great to see these little motors starting to really get out there and as you mentioned being rather well received too. Definitely keeping me well motivated to get out there and enjoy my toy and push it just that bit further :D

thanx mate, yeah we hope the new box can get us into the 8.0-8.1's next meet and in the 7's later this year.

yeah we saw the hilux, great lil combo, looked really nice ;) we haven't engine dynoed ours but we made 800rwhp@26-27psi to run 8.34@164 3060lbs it's showing 1050hp so he should run similar numbers, it's practically the same setup as we had .63 rears etc we are similar weight also. what times and MPH was he running? was he on street tyres or slicks? we take off on about 15psi on a 28x10.5'' which is pretty much the limit, we are on leaf springs. having a 4-link setup he should be able to setup it well. took us a few runs to work out tyre pressures, boost etc. we are starting all over again now with the bigger housing making 910@29-30psi, it picked up everywhere thru the boost range.

the competition is great, more incentive to push harder for both of us :p nah the main thing is making people realise just how good these lil Jap engines can be. same thing i want to do with my modular, people don't realise just how much power can be made by these small cube DOHC V8's.