Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
felt like christmas today, the gearbox has come in and will be ready to put in tomorrow, will be going to the APSA meet at sydney Dragway (WSID) on the 14th May so we will give it a good workout. looks good and should be able to handle all the power we will ever throw at it.

004-24.jpg

thanx mate, yeah we hope the new box can get us into the 8.0-8.1's next meet and in the 7's later this year.

yeah we saw the hilux, great lil combo, looked really nice ;) we haven't engine dynoed ours but we made 800rwhp@26-27psi to run 8.34@164 3060lbs it's showing 1050hp so he should run similar numbers, it's practically the same setup as we had .63 rears etc we are similar weight also. what times and MPH was he running? was he on street tyres or slicks? we take off on about 15psi on a 28x10.5'' which is pretty much the limit, we are on leaf springs. having a 4-link setup he should be able to setup it well. took us a few runs to work out tyre pressures, boost etc. we are starting all over again now with the bigger housing making 910@29-30psi, it picked up everywhere thru the boost range.

the competition is great, more incentive to push harder for both of us :p nah the main thing is making people realise just how good these lil Jap engines can be. same thing i want to do with my modular, people don't realise just how much power can be made by these small cube DOHC V8's.

Can't wait to see that happen. Box definitely looks the part, no doubt filled with some nice goodies too.

Yeh it is a pretty tidy setup all round. He had it out again the other week, managed a 9.12 @ 157mph with some fuel surge issues. That is on street radials too, albeit some generously sized ones. So it is definitely on the right track to get those numbers down to around Joe's league.

Haha, yeh a little friendly competition never hurt anyone. :D That is exactly right. But the people who do not realise that are quickly learning.

Glad to see you guys entered for the shootout this weekend. Fingers crossed for some good results and big numbers all round. Unfortunately won't be heading down for this one having only been down that way a couple weeks ago, which I'm kicking myself about now seeing as it looks to be turning out to be one of their biggest events yet. But a few friends of mine are going down to spectate with camera in hand and have assured me they will be getting some good footage. So can't wait to at least see some more vids of the capri in action. Good luck for the weekend anyways, if nothing else, should be great fun.

Can't wait to see that happen. Box definitely looks the part, no doubt filled with some nice goodies too.

Yeh it is a pretty tidy setup all round. He had it out again the other week, managed a 9.12 @ 157mph with some fuel surge issues. That is on street radials too, albeit some generously sized ones. So it is definitely on the right track to get those numbers down to around Joe's league.

Haha, yeh a little friendly competition never hurt anyone. :D That is exactly right. But the people who do not realise that are quickly learning.

Glad to see you guys entered for the shootout this weekend. Fingers crossed for some good results and big numbers all round. Unfortunately won't be heading down for this one having only been down that way a couple weeks ago, which I'm kicking myself about now seeing as it looks to be turning out to be one of their biggest events yet. But a few friends of mine are going down to spectate with camera in hand and have assured me they will be getting some good footage. So can't wait to at least see some more vids of the capri in action. Good luck for the weekend anyways, if nothing else, should be great fun.

gr8 times, new combo so bit of sorting still in it i would say, by the mile an hour definitely a mid-8 in it. should put Joe on a street radial make it even :p people look at competition the wrong way all the time. i look at it in the way of getting more and more race 1uz's out there, the more people see how good it is the better.

this weekends meet should be good, not sure if this box will have it make more or less power. im swaying to maybe more on the less, being a race box should have more drivetrain loss. if it runs an 8.1 we will be happy. will have the camera in car and out so should get good footage.

no PB's this weekend, but still had a fantastic weekend. by far the best Pro Street event held in Sydney. well done to the APSA, Paul Beck, WSID and everyone involved.

we had a few issues with the plugs on the 1st pass, then it hit boost cut on the second. played around with boost off the lights starting with 16psi was blazing the tyres a couple passes, drop it down to 14psi it took off ok lifted the tyres a little so he backed off it a split second and got back into it. ran 8.53@164 with a low 1.4 60', they say 1/10th in the 60' is usually 2/10th in the deep end had it 60'd it's usual 1.28 and no back off it would have bettered it's PB, even though it was running rich as, AFR's were around 10.9-11.3 going down the track which is fat compared to what it should be running. we were hoping for 6 passes but time got away from us and they could only manage to squeeze out 4 passes for everyone. back out for a Private Test Day mid-June we are hoping to do some numbers then. car was actually a lil heavier also, last couple meets ran without the passenger seat. got down to 3025lbs. it's now back up to 3100lbs, new box is a lil heavier also.

they had a dyno at the event so we thought why not run it up, was free and all :lol warmer day so would be fatter again made 800rwhp with 10.6 AFR :lol funnily enough it was the 2nd highest of the day, so won a trophy for that and also came second in the Top BodyWork category, was a little bonus for not PB'ing

004-25.jpg

8.5 pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAMEd2AXdbU

some in-car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mp433TOz5k

8.5 in-car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv89N4OlS98

apparently u can't run factory shocks like we do on the car and run 8's. u need to run 90/10's and u can't drive a car on the street with 90/10's or it will flip, amazing how we didn't know this. so, here we are having a little joke about it. there is some swearing, so cover your ears
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsM-3dEJqhk

also saw Phil Laird at the track he came over for a chat, i asked him about the Hilux he said they are slowly creeping up on it for the times. can't wait to see till they get it on song. Australia has like 6 of the quickest 1UZ's in the world. can't wait till Ash Hamblin gets his TT setup going in the altered.

Well there may have been no pb's produced but at least the ol girl is back on track, going strong and showing potential once again. Definitely would have been a nice added bonus to bring home a couple of unexpected trophies.

Looks like it was another great weekend, apart from all the bitching afterwards, talk about some sore losers hey? But good to see it was another successful APSA meet. Can't wait for the september shootout up here now!

Glad to see Joe managed to get the Capri home in one piece after that death defying act too! Bahahahaha! Sounds like you guys have yourselves some know-it-alls down that way to deal with too :p

Yeh it seems that Hilux definitely has some potential there. It was out at Powercruise Powerplay weekend just gone showing a few cars how its done and having a great time. There are a few short videos posted on the following youtube channel of it out on track http://www.youtube.com/user/Northside4x4#p/u

Can't wait for the day my Hilux gets some throttle response like this! :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QqP_FEkQOA

Well there may have been no pb's produced but at least the ol girl is back on track, going strong and showing potential once again. Definitely would have been a nice added bonus to bring home a couple of unexpected trophies.

Looks like it was another great weekend, apart from all the bitching afterwards, talk about some sore losers hey? But good to see it was another successful APSA meet. Can't wait for the september shootout up here now!

Glad to see Joe managed to get the Capri home in one piece after that death defying act too! Bahahahaha! Sounds like you guys have yourselves some know-it-alls down that way to deal with too :p

Yeh it seems that Hilux definitely has some potential there. It was out at Powercruise Powerplay weekend just gone showing a few cars how its done and having a great time. There are a few short videos posted on the following youtube channel of it out on track http://www.youtube.com/user/Northside4x4#p/u

Can't wait for the day my Hilux gets some throttle response like this! :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QqP_FEkQOA

:p yeah she got home safely, just :rolleyes: people always have something to say, that is the way the world works. the best part is when they are wrong, sucks if they are proven right. we had alot of people tell us the lower manifolds don't work. 910rwhp@29psi (roughly 1150-1200hp @ engine) i dunno about them but that sounds like it works alright. if a custom lower manifold picks up more, then that's an even better bonus.

the APSA meet on the weekend is great. the car ran so fat as u could see on the video, my laptop wasn't reading the data logger. had we been exactly sure of the AFR going down the track i coulda threw in some more fuel and hopefully coulda seen an improvement.

we are going to a private test day on June 15th. hopefully it will all be setup good.

be good to get up to QLD get a few 1UZ's together and have some fun.

YEA BUT I assume the lower is ported somewhat ???
Sounds like it's about right size / velocity wise to your power levels??
Would be interesting to fit a "so called" better inlet ??
I guess better power at lower boost levels ???
This is NOT a criticism. Just what I assume...

Another similar to the Cobra engine ??

YEA BUT I assume the lower is ported somewhat ???
Sounds like it's about right size / velocity wise to your power levels??
Would be interesting to fit a "so called" better inlet ??
I guess better power at lower boost levels ???
This is NOT a criticism. Just what I assume...

Another similar to the Cobra engine ??

the lower has just been port matched to the head. we have a few ideas for a better intake manifold which hopefully will see more power @ lower boost. no need to stress the engine if don't need to. i don't know about a design like mine. would look good, might work ok, seems to with the modulars. i know Hogan's makes a 1UZ manifold so might get them or Jake to make another one for us.

Yes I think the power level is about as far as you'd want to go ..
To keep any durability...
Yes there are many 1uz's out there with mods...
Still with std ports etc...

Seems "alittle" attention here goes "along" way...

Quite typical of a four valve engine...
Compared to 2 valve pushrods...

Yes I think the power level is about as far as you'd want to go ..
To keep any durability...
Yes there are many 1uz's out there with mods...
Still with std ports etc...

Seems "alittle" attention here goes "along" way...

Quite typical of a four valve engine...
Compared to 2 valve pushrods...

they seem to be quite a durable engine. the yanks reckon they get 250 passes out of a 1500hp modular before it needs new rods, pistons etc etc. we will pull it down at the end of every season (70-100 passes) and go over it with a fine tooth comb and replace what needs to be done. it only gets driven on the street when going to the track and on weekends, it wouldn't see more than 5000-7000km a year.

I wander if they [U.S guys] use alloy rods ??
Which require replacing much more often...

in the modular world, i know Bridge Racing use alloy rods. i was also going to fit an alloy rod, but i wanted overkill on my modular, i wanted them to be good for 2000hp for sure but because of the small bore size 3.55'' it wouldn't have fitted in. Bridge Racing make a 1500hp ally rod, which has been good for 1500-1700hp what they use. they would need to be replaced every 50 or so passes.

Accufab uses billet steel 2500+hp and replace every 70-100 passes.

Just thought i'd let you know that blue hilux run a pb on the weekend. 8.64 @ 153mph. Still on radials too! The thing is just an animal to watch and hear.

I have even got a new pb out of my luxy now too, ended up running an 11.64 @ 116mph. It has just been loving this cool winter weather.

How has the Capri been going anyways? Good to see Fopar is edging closer to completion too.

By the way, E85 that the Capri is running on now. Is that your straight from the pump variety or is that the drummed race version? I keep reading up on the stuff and am getting very tempted to convert over :p

have been for a little while now...a quick tune to suit now i'm back with TT and as expected made more power on less boost and just feels stronger and crisper everywhere. Engine runs cooler too, so no downside i can see yet?

have been for a little while now...a quick tune to suit now i'm back with TT and as expected made more power on less boost and just feels stronger and crisper everywhere. Engine runs cooler too, so no downside i can see yet?

Do you mean you made more power on less boost changing to E85 or more power than the supercharged setup?

Is that just straight from the pump variety fuel too?

I have not really found any downsides yet either, I just want to do my research and be 100% sure before making the change.

Just from the change to E85...back to back dynos on a stock engine combo (TT setup obviously).

I have used the pump stuff and the stuff from the drum....not much power difference. There's a winter blend with less ethanol at the pump but i haven't run this.

No one i am aware of has done independent tests at various ethanol % but from all the runs i have seen at different levels it doesn't seem to make much difference in power once you are over E75. How it effects detonation resistance would be different though, but also different between engines. A lot testing could be done but the simple answer is even the lower % stuff performs better than 98.

The only issue is supplying at least 30% more fuel...
We have found engine runs much cooler ..
Quicker even though we are limited to 85Lb injectors and down 50 rwkw
But faster on the 1/4.. On a 4.0 Ford SOHC running high 10's on grenade std assembly.. The Lexus would be much the same except 2 more injectors..
Changing out to forged assembly and 160Lb injectors..
Tuned by Adam at JEM, 8860 ECU..
The engine DOES sound much crisper...
I would say 10 to 1 comp could easy be run at 22Lb boost with E85..
The advantage of drum fuel is you know what it is!!!

Just thought i'd let you know that blue hilux run a pb on the weekend. 8.64 @ 153mph. Still on radials too! The thing is just an animal to watch and hear.

I have even got a new pb out of my luxy now too, ended up running an 11.64 @ 116mph. It has just been loving this cool winter weather.

How has the Capri been going anyways? Good to see Fopar is edging closer to completion too.

By the way, E85 that the Capri is running on now. Is that your straight from the pump variety or is that the drummed race version? I keep reading up on the stuff and am getting very tempted to convert over :p

well done on the PB. she is hammering now. E85 is great as has been said. we use Joe's stuff out of the drum and the 2JZ we just run from the bowser. both cars picked up 50rwhp at the same boost. be careful with the bowser stuff, try not to tune the car right on the edge.

that Hilux is catching, gonna have to step it up ;) 3/10ths and 11mph. must have had a back off or something to run that mph, probably would have ran a 8.4 on slicks. does he drive it to the track? should tell him bring a set of slicks with him next time.

Joe is actually thinking of going a radial also saves changing tyres when he drives to the track. been a 2 month break between racing here too cold and they have been working on the track. we are going out on next Saturday to race. we are installing a lambda sensor for logging at the track. the E85 is not very consistent during cold weather. this way we can fine tune it at the track. if all goes to plan and she puts the 910rwhp down hopefully see a flat8 at close to 170mph. he put a fiberglass bonnet 15kg lighter n boot 6kg lighter.

video from the APSA meet someone else took, sounds mean here :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umK7mKH7agQ

pics of how it looks now

005-28.jpg

006-20.jpg

007-23.jpg

009-18.jpg

Last edited: