Twin Turbo 1UZ 1970 Ford Capri street/strip car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm 99% sure that I am going to take the plunge and change over as the benefits just seem too good to pass up, just need to check into a couple more things.

The one main thing that had me concerned was the ethanol content changing in the pump stuff as that is what I'm planning to use, to try and stick with the whole streetcar theory. But spoke to a diff tuner the other day that has had a bit off experience with E85 and said it won't be a problem as long as we stick to the safer side of the tune.

In what way does it become inconsistent in the cooler weather Paulie? Does it effect the e.t's much? As I pretty much only use the Hilux for bracket racing now. That could be a problem if that is the case.

Well, the heat is really on now then, haha. The blue Hilux ran another new pb last night. 8.36 @ 163mph! And still on radials. He has been having issues getting all the power down off the line as you would expect with the radials and has been fiddling with the suspension. Needless to say he seems have it pretty well sorted now. Nah it gets trailered to the track as it has been modified a bit beyond what the local dept of transport up here would appreciate, haha.

Yeh I seen they are doing some track upgrades, that should be good. Capri looks great now with the new bonnet! Much more subtle and cleaner. Can't wait to see the results if all goes to plan for those changes. Is definitely sounding tough in that cool lil video though! Joe certainly has generously sized balls on him to be keeping the boot into that thing being that far out of the groove though, haha.

well done, him n Phil Laird proving to be a very potent combo. we need to step it up now, i messaged Joe the new Hilux times, no reply yet :p he has enough motivation at the moment, wants to beat the 8.06 my brother runs in the 2JZ :p

you guys are lucky so many testing opportunities, hopefully this weekend she performs to potential. we haven't been able to go out for a couple months. couple meets a month now so that is good, but prob be time to pull her down soon and go over it, it's done 50+ passes. couple cylinders are down to 115 rest are up 140

doesn't affect it much people say but has for us, we usually leave the AFR around 11.7 coming off the dyno, so at the track it usually picks up to 12.5, last meet it was rich as 10.4-11.2 which cost us the extra 100rwhp more it seen. was running 164mph when it should have ran 169mph

Last edited:
well done, him n Phil Laird proving to be a very potent combo. we need to step it up now, i messaged Joe the new Hilux times, no reply yet :p he has enough motivation at the moment, wants to beat the 8.06 my brother runs in the 2JZ :p

you guys are lucky so many testing opportunities, hopefully this weekend she performs to potential. we haven't been able to go out for a couple months. couple meets a month now so that is good, but prob be time to pull her down soon and go over it, it's done 50+ passes. couple cylinders are down to 115 rest are up 140

doesn't affect it much people say but has for us, we usually leave the AFR around 11.7 coming off the dyno, so at the track it usually picks up to 12.5, last meet it was rich as 10.4-11.2 which cost us the extra 100rwhp more it seen. was running 164mph when it should have ran 169mph

They do certainly seem to be getting it sorted now. Has come a long way from the mid 11s it was running only last year. And he thinks there is still some more left in it. I noticed he had a 'radial outlaw' sticker across the back window too so may be hinting towards his intentions at some apsa meets. Would be good to see a few small cubers out there showing up those big block girls. Haha.

Yeh, they do seem to look after us well up here when it comes to having some form of meeting on. But with any luck the new management at SD may see the light too and try to put some more events on for you guys.

Haha, sounds like the perfect opportunity for a few more tweaks here and there. The new turbos you posted on the ford forums would def do the trick.

Hmmm well I guess I'm just going to have to take the risk with the possible inconsistencies and see how it goes, have started to order some bits and pieces. What sort of fuel system setup do you guys run in the Capri since changing to E85?

They do certainly seem to be getting it sorted now. Has come a long way from the mid 11s it was running only last year. And he thinks there is still some more left in it. I noticed he had a 'radial outlaw' sticker across the back window too so may be hinting towards his intentions at some apsa meets. Would be good to see a few small cubers out there showing up those big block girls. Haha.

Yeh, they do seem to look after us well up here when it comes to having some form of meeting on. But with any luck the new management at SD may see the light too and try to put some more events on for you guys.

Haha, sounds like the perfect opportunity for a few more tweaks here and there. The new turbos you posted on the ford forums would def do the trick.

Hmmm well I guess I'm just going to have to take the risk with the possible inconsistencies and see how it goes, have started to order some bits and pieces. What sort of fuel system setup do you guys run in the Capri since changing to E85?

be great to see it racing in APSA, get him to send his slips in it would be in the Top 10.

the small cube thing is what we are trying to do, show people that you don't need big cubes to run good numbers, rubs more salt into the wounds when you drive the car out there and it's 100% legally registered ;) you see the likes of Johnny Habib etc just shake their heads and smile. next year the quest for Australia's fastest 'legally registered' street car begins. Hazey's 632ci NOS Torana ran a 7.8 something so hopefully we can do similar.

we are hoping for 1500hp out of the new engine and still maintain it's streetability, if we can get the weight down to about 2950lbs which should be achieveable a mid 7 pass is capable. how good would it look with a Lexus 1UZ running mid 7's on leaf springs, factory rebuilt Capri front shocks? (no 90/10's or 80/20's :p) he wants to put wheelie bars on but im trying to talk him out of it as it ruins the street cred.

the fuel setup in the Capri is very basic we have a BG220HR feeding a 5-6l surge tank with 3 Bosch 044's, should be good for 1300-1400hp. we ran 2 Bosch 044's in the JZ, that was making around 820rwhp (Powerglide) before it ran out of juice.

I'm a bit suss on nitrous being on a street legal car? same with slicks, dropped exhaust etc actually. Should have to be on radials and run as you would have to to pass a pit inspection? level playing field for all then?

or i guess you could set rules for limited changes once at the track? but thin edge of the wedge and where do you stop?

BTW i have no issue with nitrous and not one that classes it as 'cheating', but it is completely illegal for street so if your car needs it to race then it's not a street legal car?

I'm a bit suss on nitrous being on a street legal car? same with slicks, dropped exhaust etc actually. Should have to be on radials and run as you would have to to pass a pit inspection? level playing field for all then?

or i guess you could set rules for limited changes once at the track? but thin edge of the wedge and where do you stop?

BTW i have no issue with nitrous and not one that classes it as 'cheating', but it is completely illegal for street so if your car needs it to race then it's not a street legal car?

i know what your saying but disconnected the gas boys can have a bottle in the car, all they need to do is connect it when at the track.

the only reason Joe won't use a radial for street and track is it wears out too quick. $280 per side every couple thousand k's can add up. he has had the Toyo's on the back now for ages. he wants to run a radial on race days, but change it at home instead of at the track. so he only has to drive 50km's max there and back. tyre will last longer then. on a radial it should run a similar number maybe a tenth or 2 slower, best the car has 60'd on a slick is 1.289 the Radial guys are 60'n similar numbers. the Capri needs to get out of the hole quick, it just doesn't have the HP. we 60'd 1.39 on the 8.53@164 pass at APSA Shootout, there was a slight backoff also.

car has run a 8.40 with the exhaust on and 8.34 with it off so exhaust doesn't make too much difference with the Capri.

will be tuning her tonight, trying to talk Joe into throwing in a couple more PSI lol.

Last edited:
Driving there on your daily tyres and switching to street legal radials would be OK i reckon...as you say, they aren't cheap and why wear them out on the street :)

Nitrous is questionably legal currently and definitely won't be under the new NCOS

good luck tonight, pb would be awesome :)

Driving there on your daily tyres and switching to street legal radials would be OK i reckon...as you say, they aren't cheap and why wear them out on the street :)

Nitrous is questionably legal currently and definitely won't be under the new NCOS

good luck tonight, pb would be awesome :)

thanx mate.

pretty much just got back from the dyno. good news and bad news. bad news first, may need some new valve springs, sounds like a bit of valve bounce going on with 30psi in there, 29psi it's fine, 30psi rev to 7500rpm revs drop down to 7200rpm never can get a clean break :p

good news apart from above car performed like a champion. timing had to be taken out, apparently with this new batch of fuel she didn't like timing pulled out a few degrees and she picked up, also didn't like it to lean. over 12:1 wasn't making power. she spun up 880rwhp@30psi, that's a true 880rwhp no correction factor. last time she made 910rwhp but that was corrected, this time probably looking at the same.

but, the even better news, was we let the car sit around for 30 minutes and cool down. we installed a sensor to read AFR's. we did a part run just to calibrate the sensor with the dyno and our own wideband make sure it all read good and the line was alot straighter than the rest of the runs, probably would have shot up into the 900's but we won't ever know, well maybe till tomorrow. that power is with full exhaust, including 2 cats :p

no excuses tomorrow, AFR's are perfect, i can log so i can adjust the tune for the car if needed. Joe is getting an early night so he is nice n sharp for racing. im not having more than 2 6-packs of JD n Cola cans so im fresh for tomorrow also ;) hopefully this time tomorrow have some good news to report :D

was a nice smooth morning we got out there early, changed the plugs, tyres and put on the chute, had a good chat with some fella's and checked out some sexxxy cars was all good, so i thought would have a good day :p

1st pass we set the eBoost2 to leave the line at about 18psi, we thought a bigger tyre, it might grab better and launch nice n hard, we were right it just launched too hard and wasn't coming down, Joe says he doesn't like wheelstands but he just keeps doing them :lol was coughing and spluttering all the way down the track, but still managed to run a [email protected] which was a PB for MPH, Joe actually thought it was a slow pass so he didn't hit the chute, then he realised it wasn't going to stop so hit the chute quick smart :eek: get back to the pits, i pull the datalogger to check the AFR's, i get the dreaded ''NO LOGGER'' come up on the computer, i think because of Windows 7 it has compatibility issue, so i can't read it :eek: shot down to Vince's so we can read the logger and the run was fat as 11.1 all the way thru. came back to the track they were in the staging lanes already for the 2nd run. i was just going to take 8% out on the top end, but didn't have time so i just took 8% from the whole tune.

2nd pass we dropped the boost down to 14.5psi on the launch. having just done a quick tune change in the staging lanes, hit the track, sounded fine during the burnout. staged and took off, thank God this time she took off nice but it looked slow. what looked slow was actually a 60' PB :eek: a 1.285. no popping at all cruised thru the traps at [email protected] (134mph mid track) bit down on the top end but it was a new PB so we were happy. one of the chute strings broke and it didn't deploy properly but managed to pull it up. i shot home and grabbed one of my chutes to put on. Elliot (pit crew) had to go soccer, we didn't realise how messy the strings were till i pulled it out. what a bloody mess took us about 15mins to get it sorted, was hard with 2 people, luckily 2rismo (Adrian Hodgson editor Zoom and Extreme magazines) was floating around doing interviews, he came over for a chat and ended up staying to help us get the chute sorted, there was alot of kid's around so he saved alot of virgin ears hearing the F and C words :p

3rd pass decided to leave the tune as it was. put in a touch more boost for the take-off about 16psi. left the line nicely but spun the tyres a bit, 1.31 60' ended up running an 8.27@165 but once again it was coughing and spluttering. not sure what's happening, one pass ok, one pass not. don't think it's anything serious, got 2 more passes tomorrow to work it out. will put a couple of vids up tomorrow. misplaced the lil in-car camera only have in-car of the first wheelstand pass :D

I must agree, beautiful pic and beautiful job and the car as well, hope to see you guys hit the 7's real soon, keep up the great work!

thanks, definitely working on 7's. hoping for sooner rather than later.

there has been alot of talk about the car on and off the track. alot of people freaking out when they see the car running a low 8 and then being driven home. hopefully, we will see an influx of Lexus 1UZ powered cars. there has been a couple guys contact us talking about doing similar setups ;)

we are honoured and happy to be back in the APSA Top 10 Modified Street Blown cars in the country, sitting at number 9. the 240ci sits up there proudly with all the big cube turbo and NOS cars.

MSB.jpg

A good turbo combo ..

No ultra compression ..
No big overlap cams..
No short gears..
Plus a Capri makes a nice car...
Hard to believe these where designed in the latter 60's...

the old Capri's are standing up to the test of time. Stu Henry is doing well mid 7's and should only get better. factory leaf spring setup.

found an issue on the RPM logs last night. car is not revving right, its plateauing about 7500rpm, then dropping then picking back up again. we think its either the gearbox or converter. nothing else has changed apart from that. new box and we had the converter serviced after we lost the old box.

here's a pic, first dot is on the 2-step. 1st log 8.20 pass, 2nd log is the 8.27 pass it gets bad there because of all the popping.

IMG_3892-Copy.jpg

You're running more boost with new tune ??
I would suspect valve springs boost holding
valves open...
Are the buckets still shim over ??
I don't really want to go that fast just consistent !!
Mind you a few years you guys possibly thought the same??
Big potential for our project then .. Ha ??