Head gasket re-use

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

qukae

Hello! As i know, 1uz vvti has metal head gasket, dose anyone use it 2-3 times? I am asking this because here in russia set of 1uz gaskets now cost about half price of a motor and cause i have experience of using multiple times metal head gasket on some other cars. So the question is will it be ok for uz?

And one more question. VVTI and non-VVTI head gasket interchangeable? They look very similar, there is only few water passage lack in non-vvti gasket.

Last edited:
I can't answer the question on inter-changabilty of the VVT-i gasket and the non-VVT-i gasket but if the existing head gasket has been used in the engine (that is the engine has run for more than a few minutes) I wouldn't consider re-using it.

In fact I wouldn't re-use it even if the head had been torqued down and had to come off again fro some reason before running the engine, but I understand your desire to try.

The worst that can happen is to blow a head gasket and waste some of you time, assuming you do it yourself.

The gaskets are not interchangeable as the non VVTi one is missing one of the oil feeds to the front of the VVTi head.

As for reusability, yes. But, i would then use a good quality gasket sealant such as hylomar and i would be very very wary of reusing the stock head bolts as they are 'torque to yield'.

US Ebay should find you a HG set for decent $?

Ref
re-use head gasket as for the sealer we always used wellseal
and apply to both surfaces let it go tacky.
and then place together

this stuff would stop a rover from leaking oil
and maybe an old british bike,. lol

ebay link

The gaskets are not interchangeable as the non VVTi one is missing one of the oil feeds to the front of the VVTi head.

The non VVT 1UZ, or the early 1UZ uses a composite headgasket.
It is not a MLS Metal gasket.
You can use the later MLS, 98 and later gaskets on the early non VVT motors.

I don't know why you would want to use the early composite HG on a later motors, but Justen is correct, and they would block the VVT oil passage.