Electronic-Assist turbocharging

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Not a bad idea, but I see a few problems that were not mentioned besides the extemely hign amperage draw.

1st off, they are talking about cooling it with air from the compressor, well depending on the boost level, that is pretty damn hot air. i.e., not going to cool it to well....

2nd problem, they talk about it being usefull in that the electric part could be used to control boost level thus eliminating the need of a wastegate set up... Well I would be hating to be playing around one day and have the electronics go out thus allowing an over boost situation and risking blowing an engine.

Even with those two issue, still seems to be a half way decent idea and with more engineering, could be a real good break-through in turbo technology.

Large industrial engines like the Sulzers and Wartzilas often use compressed air to prespool their turbo's in order to "anticipate" a step load. This helps the response of the engine, and also avoids shaft damage to the big turbo's.

No reason why a shot of compressed air couldn't work on our smaller turbo's, too. It would be simpler than this system, and it could be added onto existing turbo's, with the only downside being that the air bottle would have to be refilled periodically.

Probably wouldn't be practical for a street machine which is in & out of boost all the time, but it could probably help prespool an insanely sized turbocharger on a drag car, if the car didn't already have some sort of prespooling assistance.

Chris as I recall, it was on the compressor side. I just looked around on the 'net for some references about this system, but couldn't find any. It used to be on the very large ABB turbochargers.

Use a decent size air tank or two that is used for airbags, 2 big compressors, vacuum activated pressure switch, 555 timer, very small irrigation spray nozzle etc could work.

Who needs NOS when drag racing

Never heard of the air assist, I think thats far more reliable is everything was Mil spec. I would be interested in the electric technology if they could lower the amps required, maybe 50 amp drain? I would suppose someone attempting it would need a reworked alternator and a second battery at the minimum... then the weight of an extra battery will offset it's benefits. Carbon air tanks would almost eliminate the weight problem.

Use a decent size air tank or two that is used for airbags, 2 big compressors, vacuum activated pressure switch, 555 timer, very small irrigation spray nozzle etc could work.

Who needs NOS when drag racing

was just going to say you could use this instead of a small shot of N2O on the line - where class rules don't allow N2O.

Chris as I recall, it was on the compressor side. I just looked around on the 'net for some references about this system, but couldn't find any. It used to be on the very large ABB turbochargers.

the big power generators uses air pressure (~ 350 PSI) as starter also !!