I have run into a problem, I don't have enogh space for the driver
side turbo. The picture shows where the steering shaft from the
bulkhead to the steering rack is located. This combined with the 4x4
crossmember means that there is not enough space to fit a turbo there
as well as a decent exhaust manifold. I can always do a log manifold
but i'd rather not do that as they su*k.
this has to be the biggest engineering feat i've seen since Rad Hadfields 55 chev with a merlin 27 litre V12 supercharged engine intalled.
i can't wait till you finish it. should be well worth all the work.
congratulations on you're effeort and ability so far.
dean, ps i'm considering a simple(by comparasin) ford XF falcon conversion
It's still in the workshop, I have not done much to it since February as I have been busy with work and other projects. I hope to get cracking on it in a month or so when the last remaining project is done.
And here i was thinking aa Aussie falcon with a 1UZ would be original, there is some seriously talented people on here.
i personally would not even have thought this would be possible hence would not even have dreamed about doing a conversion such as this.
i can not congratulate people enough for their talent in overcoming the engineering feats such as these.
cant wait till they are used for the purpose in which they were designed.
thanks heaps Dean
Honestly, I don't know. The bodyshell and the suspention I have been working on and off on for 4 years and lets not
talk about the engines...
When I started the project the plan was to turbocharge a V6 2.9l Ford Scorpio 24v engine but when I began
collecting information I soon found out it was an engine not suited for what I planned to do, so I had to change the
plan. Then I was back to a 2.0 Cosworth 16v turbo engine, but to get reliable serious power from those it would
cost an arm and a leg as good parts for those is getting scarce.
Then I started digging for alternatives, and the 1UZFE I had a look at 5 or 6 years ago but I did not have a car
suitable to fit one then. I knew it would be difficult, but I figured I'd give it a go and ordered an engine from Adelaide
J*p Dismantlers. When I ordered the engine I did not know if I would be able to use the 4x4 system, I did not know if
the block skirt would be to deep and I would not be able to fit the sump with the front diff to it. As it is it is marginal,
with the Gp. N front diff I have I have to grind a fair bit of the sump flange on the engine to get it to fit.
I do have some concerns about the sump, I think it will be strong enough to hold the diff in place, the lack of aluminium
above the diff might be a problem but it remains to be seen.
Yes I had it shipped because it's impossible to find something like that in Norway, and Australia was the cheapest
place to get an engine. Me and a friend have 2 engines on the way, I'm getting another 1UZFE and he is getting
a 1JZGTE to his Volvo 960. They should be here in a week or so.
There is support braces on the Cosworth 4x4 diff, one from the engine mount and one from the gearbox flange.
The plan is to make new ones to suit the 1UZFE/4x4 combo but the sump must be finished first, and at the moment
I'm trying to strenghten the mounts for the front diff.