1UZ into falcon? has BEEN DONE all updates here

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

deankdx

you'll still have to check out my other threads to know the when where and why, but i'm starting this thread fresh mainly for the sorting of problems and mods to this set up.
today i fitted and LSD 3.45 as the 2.92(which was good enough BLEW UP, 1UZ has same torque as falcon 6 down low) BUT what a difference 3.45 made, car has worn out rear shocks(ideal for drag strip)(actually most suspensionm parts need replacing)and almost launches front up now,
my sppedo is out almost double due to ford having 7 pulses per rev(i think)and toyota putting out around 20?(not 100%sure on this either)(ratio corrector box can fix this)
anyway you can still get 80kmh from first 140 in second not sure how fast it goes in third but seems fast. anyway i think 3.5 ish is a good tall ish diff ratio for this motor.
does not break traction on take off, maybe a squeek if stalled up a bit. i reckon it will walk all over a V6 commdore

power steering leak SORTED

well after buying the car and knowing it had a leak that the owner told me was the high pressure line i thought i should do something about it Soon.
the next day after getting it home i had a custom hose made as the toyota one was too close to the shocjer towers anyway. fitted it up -- still leaks, change low pressure hose was also too close to shocker tower, still leaks Doh!
anyway after washing motor again starting i up revealed a definate wet patch under the steering box(typical falcon) oh well rip the one out of my spare car 1/2 hour later ready to take the one in the Beast. 3 hours later box finally removed! why so long? the steering column needed to be removed and the motor needed the engine mounting plates undone and jackk up one side of motor. the bolts were very awkward to get at also due to the size of the motor.
another couple of hours and SWEET no more leaks.

anyway the process fixed three things an engineer will be happy with other than leaks, pitman arm joint Was sloppy and both hoses were too close to the body

small update so far.rear uni joint has died, i can kill anything, also found that removing the gas mixer which has a 40mm internal diameter(restriction) made no noticable difference, speedo now reads more accurate due to a 10 pulse transducer but only goes to 80km/h(still unfinished anyway and not properly calibrated) tacho now calibrated and works ok to 6000rpm, temp guage has been over corrected so i need to remove a resistor. need to do basic roadworthy items(shocks ball joints etc) next and fit a resonator as the engineer did not like the crackle on decelleration from the exhaust, should be close to finished in about a month?

lexus Falcon is DEAD!!!

G'day, intersting happenings lately.
upon driving to my mates place 50km away, i was cruising along at around 100kmh when a sudden Vibration almost instantly turned into a terrible floor mangling broken tailshaft and locking up the diff causing one wheel to skid till i gained control and stopped on the side of the road. after having the car towed to my mates place(was much closer than back home) we jacked the car up and sussed a few things out. realising it would be impossible to get it into the garage with a seized wheel we investigated this issue first. removing wheel which had blown out due to such a long skid, deciding to remove the brake caliper to pull an axel out and suddenly the axel was free to turn. the handbrake lever was jammed on(fairly common on early ford disc brakes) did this cause this chain of events??NO...

what caused this car destroying disaster? i can only guess at this stage, i had a rear uni fail(didn't let go )a few months back which made some bad vibrations, this was replaced and tailshaft was rebalanced. did hidden internal damage occur in this instance?
the diff was rebuilt with a ratio change did something in here lock up causing the tailshaft to strain?
did the car god not like the idea of a ford and toyota mix?

the damage (that i can see so far) the front half of the tailshaft(one piece) is still in the AUTO(crown type) about a foot(30cm) long. around this area the underside of the car took a severe beating. about 6inches inwards in an arc which has buckled the floor in the tunnel and other points (probably could be cut and shut with cost) the gas(LPgas) line has been pulled from its brackets(did not suffer a leak supprisingly) and the 2.5" exhaust is squashed flat in this section.

PICS coming soon, going there again tommorrow with camera.

whats next?? well i had thought of giving up the whole idea and selling it all off, for $3500 as a falcon lexus half cut.
but i doubt anyone would be interested? so i have decided that if i can find a Good XE falcon sedan(XE has more rust problems than XF) XE has provision for mounting a hydraulic clutch in a simple bolt in matter(XF is a pain as has bigger diameter booster and cable only clutch arrangement)
i always prefered the XE(barring rust) as they gave a far better instument layout with round analog guages, the under floor is identical between XF/XE so all will bolt straight in but i'll need to modify the air con again(ford like chaning stuff all the time)
this time i'm going manual W58 probably or maybe mid 90s ford T5 box(easy speedo setup and gearbox mounting) and may find that factory tailshaft fits as bolt in.(considerable saving)
i will then put a new exhaust in from factory Y pipe in a 2.5" system with a high flow cat.
i expect using the existing broken falcon i will need another 8 grand to complete the deal including engineers certificate,gas research, diff upgrade etc.

why am i not too concerned about this current car? it was not my original idea exactly, as i wanted a sedan(this is an auto ute) manual. current exhaust is a price compromise,
i luckily hadn't completed the engineers proccess($1000), got the car roadworthy($500min) and rego is due in a week or so($500) and the body had some rust which i was not overly concearned with but would have to adress sooner or later.

the plan is to find a good sedan XE in ether S pack(white only, i had one once i miss it alot but rust was bad) the other option would be an Fairmont Ghia ESP(i have owned 2 of these which i ran into the ground over afew years each, i like to drive my cars and do aprrox 600km per week)
see how things pan out from here......
bye for now Dean

Dean, Sorry to hear the bad news. Just when things started to come together for you, somthing like this happens.
Seems strange that only one wheel locked up when the tail shaft was not moving, or was it still thumping arround untill you came to a stop. I would have thought the problem started with the tail shaft.???

krayn said:
Dean, Sorry to hear the bad news. Just when things started to come together for you, somthing like this happens.
Seems strange that only one wheel locked up when the tail shaft was not moving, or was it still thumping arround untill you came to a stop. I would have thought the problem started with the tail shaft.???
could of been worse i guess, i was seriously considering going to CALDER street drags next week so lucky i guess. the tail shaft broke in half the front was still thumping around due to engine still running and in drive. tha back half was torn off as the uni and the uni is still fitted in the diff yoke. buggered if i know what caused it as yet. will investigate though, as tail shaft repair bloke or diff bloke may be accountable(not that they are likely to own up if it is determined to be their fault anyway). not overly fussed really because i had not invested the further $2000 for on road legal costs at this stage.
i should have photos of damage up late monday night if interested
thanks Kris

gee that looks pritty nasty that exhuast has really coped a flogging it is squshed good
my mate did the same thing in his hz prem and the back of the car lifted of the ground at around 80kmh very scarey stuff indeed

gee that looks pritty nasty that exhuast has really coped a flogging it is squshed good
my mate did the same thing in his hz prem and the back of the car lifted of the ground at around 80kmh very scarey stuff indeed

HAVEN'T GIVEN UP YET

getting my ute back today, been thinking a fair bit about it. i think the wheel locked up because the tailshaft hit the hand brake cable, i think for some reason the tailshaft went first, maybe due to being a mile long in the ute and it could have sustained some internal damage??? when i drove it home with the rear uni joint damaged, even though the tailshaft was balanced agian and the guy was impressed by its quality,
i was thinking carefully about what happened first and i do think the tailshaft went first(a tailshaft loop will be fitted to the next rocket)

anyway as i have mentioned before, this car was a compromise in many ways and was not how i was going to build it initially anyway.

SO..... i want a sedan, manual, and a car pre ADR37 (cant remember exactly why but engineer was rapt when i said next one is to be an 1983 XE ford)

so here is the new plan.
XE falcon because it has provisions for a hydraulic clutch (XE was optional with V8, XF only had 6 cyl and cable clutch ) and they also can fit the EFI XF fuel tank as a bolt in(hopefully the sender resister is similar)
i also like the XE ghia Dash(six round guages) and the ghia has 4 wheel discs and Lsd STD(50/50 chance it will be the 2.92 diff that can have gears of3.45 etc fitted to its carrier)
the question still is whether to get a T5 or W58 there are a few pros and cons either way.
T5 : will have speedo reading correctly within minues potentially saving a few hundred dollars, the gearbox mount may be in the correct spot allowing a std falcon tailshaft to be used further several hundred dollars saved, the cons are Falcon T5 gearboxes are not overly strong and are fairly dificult to find in good second hand condition(usually sinchro on second is BAD) they also have a 0.7 5th gear which is fairly tall for the 3.45 diff planned and the 1UZ although similar to the current auto would be revving around 2000rpm at 100kmh

W58: will have to have custom tailshaft and speedo set up but will be available everywhere when i break one, also 2400 revs would be better i think to be sitting on at 100km/h and a few first gear ratios are available(i'd be going for the lowest possible)

i have just paid a deposit on an XE fairmont Ghia sedan, which has far less rust then my ute(only has a bit in left rear qtr and boot lid) at $300 with wheels i could sell for $100 its a bargian. although i might do a swap with the whole running gear and be still able to sell the ute as a padock bomb?
highly tempted to register this car first then stick the V8 in but common sense is overpowering so i will do it properly and save nearly a years rego that would be wasted sitting in the yard without running gear fitted.
since winter is nearing i doubt much progress will happen before October as i have No garage(the choice between a 10 grand garage or 10 grand car was easy..)

thats all for now thanks Dean

Hi Dean, Now you're thinking. I can guess how you felt after the disaster and wanting to give up. After coming that far, it would be hard to turn your back and walk away. Things are sounding good. Soldier on! Regards, Kevin

Lextreme said:
Hello Dean,

Thanks for the updates and progress. Looks like a massive swap job... please continue to update us with your hard work.
if only my boss could see that comment "hard work" and "Dean" just dont make sense!
i try very hard to work smarter not harder, works most of the time anyway.....
here's a couple of pics of the "RED ROCKET" (not to be confused wth the one the southpark series mentioned once, dont ask!)
i doubt the U.S has any of these but i'd like to know if so.

Two words "TAILSHAFT LOOP" I learned that when I had a v8 xd, them borgwarner diffs have a crap yoke with two lame pressed steel tabs to hold in the uni, they were forever coming loose, cant wait to see it finished, wont be as tail light as the ute though

hi-lex said:
Two words "TAILSHAFT LOOP" I learned that when I had a v8 xd, them borgwarner diffs have a crap yoke with two lame pressed steel tabs to hold in the uni, they were forever coming loose, cant wait to see it finished, wont be as tail light as the ute though
i had the yoke converted to XY type with U bolt the uni is still in the diff!!!
the utes in my opinion stick better around corners then the sedan, most people were commenting like put some sand bags in the back etc but it supprised me that the rear is difficult to break traction even in corners, the sedan will drft better with a manual box almost certail to be a W58 toyota 5 speed. will post a pic of uni and tail shaft soon
thanks Dean

because i'm considering a link to this thread from the fordforums.com.au , i thought i might give a bit more detail from the begining.

i bought the XF ute already converted which uses a (celsior?)front sump fitted to a crown motor and trans, using custom hoses to mate toyota air and steer to falcon steering box and air con stuff, and using crown std headers and y pipe and even crown radiator, although i may consider using an XG falcon radiator i the next incarnation as the hoses come out in the same place as toyota and the top mounts look like a bolt in job(lower mounts couldn't bee too hard) also replacement should be easier to locate than a crown radiator.
the trans was a pain as the sender unit for the trans ECU(theres one for engine and one for trans) has its signal go to speedo first then modified and then to ECU, the speedo transducer has 20 pulse per rev and the ECU is looking for 4, i belive the guy who built this thing has wired it incorrectly as i ended up getting it working using a 10 pulse and the input was in the ABS input from memory. also fluking the speedo to read almost dead accurate. this trans problem was originally causing the auto to go straight into overdrive, and the previous owner was driving it manually with the shifter and a solenoid switched to get third gear(engineer would not have passed the car this way)
after work done by the local speedo repairer and a halfcut importer the trans was working almost perfect(in power mode it hit the rev limiter under kickdown, in economy it shifted at 6000rpm under full throttle)
which with 3.45 diff gears equalled 80kmh first, 140 second blow the tailshaft at any speed faster (read earlier posts).

thats about all for now, its BEER O'CLOCK

hi just thought i'd post a pic of the pinion angle due to axel tubes being damaged and you can see the uni is still fitted to the yoke,
i've got lots of projects so you wont see much progress for a while