Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Ryan,

I still like your previous rotor. It looks colorful in rust...LOL. But I like your new brake system better. It'll definitely give you a good bite against 800 ft/lbs of torques. Let's say 10 seconds for 1/4 mile against 10 seconds for stopping.

Here are a few pics from the Long block build and blueprinting I was doing the other night:

Laying out the new internals...
Long_Block_build_2.jpg

Pre-assembly and measurement of main caps...
Long_Block_BP_1.jpg

Much more to come...

Ryan biggrin.gif

My Relentless Pursuit of Perfection...

Gang, I am happy to state that I have made great progress over this July 4th Holiday. I got together with Jeff, the owner of CW Pence, the machine shop that machined my motor. We continued the build, and have about an hour left to complete the Long Block. woohoo.gifwoot.gifbiggrin.gif Here are a few pics for you to view:

Pauter Forged Rods and Ross Forged Pistons connected:
EB_1.jpg

Graphite Bearing:
EB_2_Graphite_Bearing.jpg

Crank Installed:
EB_3_Crank_Installed.jpg

Oil Injector clears rod and piston:
EB_4_Oil_Inj_fit_piston.jpg

Piston Installed:
EB_5_Piston_installed.jpg

More coming...

Attachments

• woohoo.gif
    woohoo.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
  • woot.gif
    woot.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
Here are some more:

Forged internals Installed:
EB_6_Internals_installed.jpg

What a beautiful site:
EB_6_Internals_installed.jpg

Close up of Rods:
EB_8_Close_up_rods_installed.jpg

Pistons 1,3,5,7:
EB_9_Pistons_1-3-5-7_installed.jpg

Pistons 2,4,6,8:
EB_10_Pistons_2-4-6-8_installed.jpg

More coming...

Here are some more:

Built 1UZFE Baby...thumbsup.gifsmile.gif
EB_11_1UZFE.jpg

ARP Head Studs installed, courtesy of Lextreme:
EB_12_ARP_Head_studs_installed.jpg

Passenger Side Head installed:
EB_13_Passenger_Head_installed.jpg

Cams installed:
EB_14_Cams_installed.jpg

Another Cam Pic:
EB_15_Cams_installed.jpg

More to come soon....smile.gif

Ryan

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    1 KB · Views: 0
Ryan, looking good!

How did you mount your oil squirters? Did you weld any mounting pads to the block or was the aluminum thick enough in that area that you drilled & tapped it directly? About how deep did you D&T?

Thanks,

John

Ryan, looking good!

How did you mount your oil squirters? Did you weld any mounting pads to the block or was the aluminum thick enough in that area that you drilled & tapped it directly? About how deep did you D&T?

Thanks,

John

Thanks John...Yes, we used a mounting pad/spacer under each injector to stabilize it. But, we also milled a small amount of surface off each location point to flatten out the metal there. We tapped directly into the galley for the oil feed, but drilled the mounting holes and threaded them off center. I had the machine shop do that part, I will ask him the measurements and post it up. I can tell you this, they are very stable and attached very strongly...The tubes are made of steel, and when adjusting each one after installing the rods and pistons, it takes some care and force to bend them for clearance. It was not exactly easy to bend them, and they did not move from their mounting positions at all...BTW, if anybody wants to know, the oil galley is a continuous path from one end to the other, so no issues there...

Ryan

I think the oil injectors best fit with an aluminum plate and weld on the block (plate weld onto the block) and screw the injector to the aluminum plate.

I think the oil injectors best fit with an aluminum plate and weld on the block (plate weld onto the block) and screw the injector to the aluminum plate.

Funny you say that. He welded the spacers to the block.

Ryan

Attachments

• 1uzm48drg1.jpg
    1uzm48drg1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1uzm48drg2.JPG
    1uzm48drg2.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1uzm48drg3.JPG
    1uzm48drg3.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 9
I look forward to driving this car again, and breaking in the engine...

Ryan

Attachments

• flanges1.JPG
    flanges1.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 7
  • flanges2.JPG
    flanges2.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 7
SC400TT,
Beautiful work. The addition of the oil jets looks very nice. I am going to do the same with my 1UZ block shortly (if and when I find the oil jets). Any more hints as to how you secured them? I have the options of welding, machining or a combination of both like you seem to have done. Nice to see such a nice job.

Gang, I got the stock engine (the one I removed from my stock car), dismantled completely down to the short block last night. I was curious as to what was causing the oil pressure loss I was registering when I took the car off the road a few months ago. Here is what we found, the stock organic headgasket could not handle on the drivers side, and we lifted the head and blew the headgasket. There was oil all over the gasket, when we got the head off, while the other side was totally clean. Also, the head on the drivers side had signs of heating up due to the color on the inside of the head, while the head on the passenger side looked almost brand new. The pistons looked fine and the ring lands were worn, but the condition of the block was in pretty good condition, especially considering that the engine had 120 k miles on it. Nothing a little machining would not totally repair.

I am still curious if the oil pump went bad, as we did not look at it, and when I took the car off the road, the Autometer oil pressure gauge I added showed normal oil pressure when the car was cold. After approximately 15 minutes or so of idle, the oil pressure started to drop, according to the gauge, and showed zero oil pressure. I obviously refused to drive it at that point. I cannot see that the blown headgasket was causing this level of oil pressure drop, but maybe. I am more suspicious of the oil pump or the gauge itself.

What are your thoughts, gentlemen?

Thanks,

Ryan