Project Thread Supercharged Supra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Bottom line is nothing is available in Australia so it's easier and far cheaper to source from overseas. I like the way you have logically found the best and easiest solution. To get to the solution I would hate to think the hrs of research and buying bits of this and that to see if it works.

Looking forward to seeing this one on the dyno. and of course maybe even one day in a car.

John beautiful build....Of course, how would we expect anything less of you? :D Thanks for sharing on the cam and valve spring details. If I were to decide to make a change in the future and upgrade my cams and springs, I now have a reference to go to. I also see several similarities in our builds....I see you added the later UZ oil squirters and the coated bearings, as well as leaving the valve relief area alone on the Ross pistons. I did these same things in my build.

I am looking forward to seeing this one in your car soon. Perhaps a running car in 2010?

Ryan

I don't know what choices you have there in Oz for Ti SUB retainers - so perhaps you won't even encounter this problem.

The solution is to go with the VVti heads John, then it's all there factory...of course you need the VVti block as well ;) Speaking of which mine has just arrived compete with Argo rods, forged 11.5:1 pistons and all the required ARP gear :D

Yours is looking sweet as. Just ditch the carbie break in mate...i know it seems a sensible and gentle way to break in the engine but more likely a source of problems i reckon. You can load the engine so accurately with the engine dyno that i would have no hesitation in breaking in the SC setup. Load is actually good at break in, as seats everything properly...just variable load and rpm and i'm sure your engine dyno guy has done this a million times.

Truely, don't bother with carbie break in :cool:

It's really cheap insurance Scott; you should consider it. If you'd want to send your cams and sprockets to Dennis, I'm sure he wouldn't pull your teeth out to do it. But you probably have all the tooling to do it yourself, don't you?

Erol suggested this to me after he sheared his, and he wasn't the first. Shearing these drive pins at high RPM with high lift cams would make for a really bad day.

I agree 100%, looks like the cams are coming back out of my engine one last time. I should be able to do it myself but just in cas eI may look Dennis up. Damn this motor has been a do/re-do build, Cams were coming out anyway to check a couple other things. Will it ever end?

Andy, you're right, there was a lot of time spent studying specs and catalogs, but that's part of the fun of it isn't it?

Ryan, thanks for the kind words. I hope this engine is "the one" that will finally go into the car. My private goal has been 200 BHP/l or 600 at the crank, on pump gas. We'll see if this one has got the right stuff.

Justen, I hear you mate, I'd have been into a VVTi motor a long time ago if I'd wanted to do a turbo setup, but for this project, I've been set on staying with the SC. Luckily, this motor has a VVTi block, so down the road, if I get bored with the SC, I can pull these heads off, put a set of VVTi's on, and voila. But no way am I not going to break this puppy in with the carb & EDIS.

We'll still load it hard on the dyno, but there are just too many things that could go wrong with fuel, ignition, EMS, etc. during those first few critical minutes. This motor will have a brand new fuel system with bigger injectors, the new loom (hopefully), and a few other goodies, so I just can't take the chance. The "only" downside in my mind to breaking it in with the carb and EDIS is the cost of the dyno session, and that's just not that big a deal in comparison to the cost of ruining a motor (which I've already had happen on the 2JZ)

Scott, I think that's a really good decision. I'll send you some contact info by email for Dennis, along with what Erol sent me on the pin installation in case you choose to do it yourself. (BTW, these projects have no end - they just run out of money!)

Ben, you're right, and it seems we're all kinda in sync too with our progress, and we all get busy, and/or run out of money about the same time. I remember last spring/summer it was pretty boring around here, but in the fall & winter things started happening again. Thankfully Ryan & a few others had some cool stuff happening with their projects during the slow time. Too the crash of the economy probably had everyone spooked for awhile.

We're finally on the dyno with the #2 motor for its break in. It's naturally aspirated with a 390 CFM Holley and the Ford EDIS8 ignition, and it fired up on the first crank. Woohoo! There's a lot to be said for being able to run a motor with two wires, one of them being ignition power, and the other being the starter.

Now we just have to get that Holley leaned out - it's running way too rich, but fortunately we have Dan DaVinci of DaVinci carburetors here to sort that out.

IMG_0804.jpg

The 36-1 trigger wheel necessary to run the EDIS8 ignition

IMG_0807.jpg

Here's my laptop running the MegaJolt Lite Jr software. The MJLJ is a smart ignition controller that varies the timing of the EDIS8.

IMG_0808.jpg

No Rod that's 100 mile an hour tape used by all top race teams to fix anything in less than a minute.

Mr DaVinci is a legend on carbies so you are in good hands there.

I know you have your reasons for running a carb but injection to me seems so much easier with a wide band sensor? Instant feedback and adjustment.

54 pages, this has been quite a journey for you John hope all goes well, good luck and have a super new year.

It's been an eventful two days. Yesterday, as soon as I hooked up the hot battery lead, the starter kicked in. Disconnected the solenoid, and the starter still kicked in! Took the carb & manifold off, disconnected and demounted the starter, rang everything out without finding anything, put it all back together and it worked fine......

Today, although the engine fired right up, my EDIS8 module decided to take a dump as soon as we put load on the motor. Got a new one delivered this afternoon after 5 PM, and that sorted the problem, but then we couldn't get the carb leaned out enough for it to make good power. The poor UZ blubbered through three very rich dyno pulls and our best power was 244 HP. No smoking, so I think we managed to seat the rings OK, despite the richness. (We're running around 0.56-0.58 BSFC, when it should be around 0.45-0.48).

Once Dan gets the jets changed tomorrow, or we get the carb changed to a 600 CFM model, we'll probably pick up another 20 HP easy. This is the 2nd 390 CFM Holley (model 4150) that I've had bad luck with, and although the 600 CFM model 4160 may seem like overkill, they also seem to be more reliable.

Are you going to progress through all the way this time until it is fully tuned with the supercharger on?

I take it this is a low compression engine?

Andy, after this break in run, it'll come off the dyno and Dennis will build a cogged belt drive for the supercharger, similar to what Hypronet did with his setup. And yes, this motor now has 8.9:1 compression with a new set of .080" Cometic head gaskets.

Dan dropped the jets down 5 sizes and we still couldn't get the 390 to run right. This was deja vu all over again as far as I was concerned. So we pulled it off, and put a 650 double pumper on it, and she promptly gained 30 HP. Tweaked the timing up to 28 degrees and it made 275 HP @ 5700 before we ran out of ignition (and I'm still not sure it was ignition).

We had one torque peak of 255 lb-ft at 5000, and another of 255 at 5500, so the cams are working well.

The motor would have done well over 300 HP if we could have gotten it over 5700.

Here's the curves; this is one strong motor. Josh's head porting, the Kelford cams, and the adjustable cam gears are really making it shine. The torque was level from 4100 to 5600 and only dropped off a tad at 5700.

The motor started misfiring at 5700 so we couldn't take it any higher; Dennis felt it was ignition, and he's probably right, but I thought we were still having carburetion problems.

Judging by the condition of the plugs, and the fact that we didn't even break 6000 RPM, I'm guessing the motor had at least another 40-50 HP to give us if we'd been able to sort out the 5700 RPM misfire, and get it leaned out.

At the end of the day 275 BHP @ 5700 wasn't too shabby for a CR of 8.9:1, a carburetor that was rich (0.48-0.55 BSFC's), and a manifold not even designed to run a carburetor.

I'm guessing once we get the blower on, and put some bigger long tube headers on it, we'll be 700 HP or better (before blower loss), and at least 600 HP to the dyno.

Compression was 180 psi on all cylinders after the test, so I'm happy that it's well broken in now. We didn't do a leakdown.

275HPPull.png

Plugs from cylinders 1/3/5/7:

IMG_0819Large.jpg

Cylinders 2/4/6/8:

IMG_0820Large.jpg

The video:

th_MVI_0815.jpg

Last edited: