Under bonnet air temps

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I would rather having my being "sucked" down to road rather then being lifted, if you have a look at Japanese track cars thier cooling ducts run through the intercooler and radiotor and is then channeled thru the boonet, thus creating downforce. I'm thinking about using that idea do run cool air over my turbo and vent thru the bonnet.

i think i need a gap like that zuffen

even with new radiator its still overheatin
it boiled abit today

i got new air vents to be fitted this weekend near front of bonnet
similar to an evo 1 2 or 3

i had thermos runnin and the only place air can get out is just below radiator between it and the engine
and thats not helping

this overheatin is pissin me off

the engine has pinged its head off and still goin strong hehe

For the Australian's here if you look at the first HSV car the Group A SS Walkinshaw it had a vent in the top of the bonnet right behind the radiator and in front of it's rear facing scoop.

The theory was they could use the scoop to vent the radiator air when racing. It was a cheat to beat the homologation rules. Didn't help the street car it was still a dog!

sideshow said:
even with new radiator its still overheatin
it boiled abit today

i got new air vents to be fitted this weekend near front of bonnet
similar to an evo 1 2 or 3

i had thermos runnin and the only place air can get out is just below radiator between it and the engine
and thats not helping

this overheatin is pissin me off

the engine has pinged its head off and still goin strong hehe
Sideshow, maybe your water pump has had it, the suction hose to the pump has collapsed, or the motor's cooling passages need a good flush.

Also, many of the symptoms you describe used to be early warning signs of a BHG for the MKIII Supra motor. The confirmation of the BHG was steam/water blowing out the coolant reservoir and/or a milkshake in the oil pan. One would think that the shorter, and later design 1UZ motor wouldn't suffer any of the head gasket design problems that plagued the early MKIII Supra's, but after owning two MKIII's that had the problem, it does sound similar, especially if other owners around you aren't having any of these problems.....

How's your compression & leakdown?

John

the motor ran perfect untill summer time

on the highway temps are ok once i get air flow thru radiator they drop instantly

just stopped at lights and when its a very hot day

a friend has same prob in his hilux with a 1gg

if u look at the engine bay theres not much room for air to get out

thats another prob

i have an a/c condenser

an 8 inch fan for the condenser

and i just fitted an average size tranny oil cooler

this weekend im goin to relocate tranny cooler under the drivers gaurd up the front

and ill fit some bonnet vents

its annoying cause i am to busy and dont get much time to fix my own car
and i need it for work too hehe

anyway ill get there one day

if it still plays up after this weekend ill try a better thermo fan settup

Try moving the condensor to the back aswell so that there is NOTHING else in front of the radiator. I think 2 10inch fans will cover a bigger area and move more air then 1 16 will.

ive just been to davies crag webiste

a 16 in fan fill flow bout twice as much as a 14

and easily twice as much as 2 ten inch fans
but with 2 fans u can spread the two fans over the whole radiator

a friend has a 16 in davies craig so i might try borrow it on weekend

Also if you get a fan with skewd blades it will move alot more air then a fan of the same size with straight blades. It will also have a lower wattage motor and pull less amps. DC fans are so out of touch now its not funny.

There are alot of other brands of fans on the market that move more air then the same sized dc fan. Ice is one that comes to mind, Autobarn sellem I think.

I haven`t got my lux going yet so can`t say how well it will work but I have 2 10 inch fans on the front of radiator and they cover about 98% of the radiator area behind the grill I`ll post pics as soon as I put the radiator back in this weekend.

Cooling

Hey Sideshow, are the fans infront or behind the radiator, i have read the fans will cool better if behind, if in front they have to push air through a hot core, this is not as efficent as pulling it through.
hope this helps
Lambo

yer theyre behind but i think theres just too much work for the fans

this sunday i finally get time to fix my car i hope

i wired up a very nice mustang and have to finish it tomorrow for a car show on sunday so thats most important for now

so after car show ill try fix my car

ill move my 14in fan across and fit an 8in fan which i have next to it

i have raised the back of my bonnetabit more and it has made some difference

what i did today is close bonnet fully and idle engfine for 10 mins in hot area

then iopen bonnet and recheck temp
the temp gauge on the dash dropped

so with the bonnet open the under bonnet temps are lower

i didnt have my scanner with me its to expensive to carry all the time

but ill do same test with it plugged in and see if the temps change

but at moment i think its not good air flow

so im goin to clean my a/c condesor and try get good air flow to radiator

the big tranny cooler doesnt help to especially when tranny oil gets hotter than engine water

i will relocate that to under the guard

bit i tell you now know why i quit being a mechanic after 10 years and started learning electrical hehe

My opinion is that they will only work better pulling the air threw if they are spaced off the radiator and running a cowling, if they are bolted straight to the radiator even in a pulling postion they they are ONLY going to pull air threw the radiator part which the fan covers. In a hilux you don`t have room to run a cowling with the fans spaced off the radiator so I don`t think in a hilux it is going to make any differance if they are pulling or pushing.

If you have room in front to have a cowling and have the fan/s spaced off then they will work the same as cowl and spaced in a pulling postion.

The reason that people think they don`t work as good in a pushing setup is becasue the fans are bolted straight to the rad every time, I have NEVER seen a pushing fan spaced off a radiator and with a cowl between the 2.

Basicly you need to try and make the area that the fan pushes or pulls threw bigger then just the diameter of the fan, this is done by spacing the fan/s away from the radiator and then running a cowling. If the fan is say 100mm away from the radiator (pushing or pulling) and the cowling seals around the outer edge of the fan and runs on an angle out to the outer edge of the radiator and seals around it the air comes threw the fan via a diamiter of say 10inches (250mm) it then is able to spread out while between the fan and rad to an area of say 100 inches (2500mm). Does the same if pulling it just gets to pull from the 100 inches and exit via the 10 inches.

If you look at new cars with elec fans the fans are NEVER bolted straight to the radiator, they are always spaced off it by at least 30 to 40mm and have a cowling.

Hope all this makes sense.

Doesn`t matter if the fan is pushing or pulling it is still moving cold air from the front threw the radiator to the engine bay, the only differance is if pushing the fan blades have cold air on them and when pulling the fan blades have hot air on them and the temp of the fan blades an`t going to do **** with the enginee/water temp.

i have no room infront so thats no option

and limited room behind so instead of one fan i will try 2 fans so i get more air flow over the whole area

Sideshow, I was spoking in general not at you.

But if ya move the cooler and the condensor you`ll have some room.

Went to pick up my radiator today, the guy has had it since the start of November but still hasnt done it. Will be ready monday, then I`ll post some pics of the fans showing how much they cover.

Jim,

Just how much room do you have behind the radiator?

I think you need to find the slimmest set of fans you can and give them a go.

i just finished fitting one 14in fan and an 8in fan behind radiator

not much room for much more

i prob have 60 or 70 mm room

anyway ill see how it goes tomorrow

You need about 110mm to run the Ford item.

have you thought about the hydraulic fan from an SC400?

I have one available on exchange for a viscous set-up.