Another Hilux - Built for Scott

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gloverman

Hello. Late last year I got a phone call from a young guy wanting a 1UZ put into a Hilux double cab. He came over to my shop and we had a chat. He booked it in for early this year and soon after paid his deposit.
Now thats all ordinary you may say but this guy is in a wheel chair. He had a wake boarding accident and presently can't use his legs.

The story so far.

I got a Soarer rear sump engine with ECU and loom (non traction control model) To get what I wanted paid a little extra but brought things back into line as it came with front cross member and managed to sell that.

The ute arrived several week ago and and I worked on a saturday to remove the 2.4 @2L diesel which had been turbo charged and intercooled. The following week the engine bay was stripped and the ute taken to the painters. The front 265 tyres were scraping so hard it had burnt the paint on the inner guards so this was panelbeaten and the engine bay painted. Two week s later it was pushed back into our shop.

In my shop we are often very busy - I now have a guy(Rob) who mainly does performance and conversion work, Another good friend Phil(LOWBOY) often helps out. Well Phil come over that weekend and started preparing the motor for fitting. Cambelt, waterpump, seals, bearings and tensioner were done. He popped the manifold off and fitted a serviced starter - I already had one ready along with a serviced alternator, powersteer pump and injectors. The motor was cleaned and rear sump swapped to a front sump. Soaer headers fit well so they stayed on but had their flanges cut off. Hydralic fan pump was stripped as we don't need that and no A/c on this ute. We also fitted the spare block I have on some prefabricated mounts and it looked good.
LOwboy returned this weekend just been and He and Rob spent the whole weekend on the ute. The lower sump pan had a notch at the rear to clear the drag link. ( the steering box was spaced out by 5mm the weekend before to give extra clearance). I recently got a plasma cutter so cutting the sump was alot easier. The motor was then bolted in and the auto gearbox fitted behind. The gearbox mount was made, looks really good too, like factory. The loom runs through the factory hole and I will wire that soon.
The ute swapped to Robs hoist and he spent the whole day on it today. The fans were mounted to the radiator before it went to be rebuilt, bottom rad hose was measured to fit. Driveshaft measured - the shop which does my driveshafts is moving so will be at least a week. Trans lines fitted so a oil cooler can be mounted. We started looking for a auto shifter so when Rob dropped off the driveshaft he searched a couple of wreakers for a shifter and consule - we want something nice.
Lots more to do but starting to move along fast now. Here are the first of the photos. Will take more tomorrow as the camera was full and needs clearing.

Phil(lowboy) may also put input onto this thread and I trust Scott(the owner may jump in to)
Thanks to Lextreme I have a useful way of showing our progress.

Another day done

Well Rob hammered this job today. Powersteer lines are done. Fuel pump with prefilter fitted. Radiator has fan brackets and is at the shop to be rebuilt. Auto trans cooler found but waiting for rad to come back before fitting. Couple of blanking plates made - one for hydralic fan pump and one for clutch master cylinder hole. Working on heater hoses and hoping to get exhaust done tomorrow. Here are some better photos
#1 general motor shot
#2 & #3 battery swapped form right to left
#4 gearbox mount
#5underbody shot
#6 Notch in rear of the lower pan

Cheers

Awesome job guys. I hate to hear stories of young guys getting hurt bad doing fun things like boarding, I wish Scott to stay positive and good luck with his rehab work. One of my best friends was paralyzed recently due to a dirtbike accident, absolutely horrible. This new ride should perk the owner up. It looks very nice and that little engine needed to be replaced for sure.

Congrats on the plasma cutter, they are a HUGE time saver, much safer than physical cutting and worth every penny. We look forward to seeing the finished project in your next update on this ride. Now get back to work. :biggrin:

Scotty's lux

Here are some more Pics,

Engine in and sitting sweet, bit of wiring to do this weekend i think....

I think the owner will be pleasantly surprised if my own V8 hilux is anything to go by.

Philip

Well a bit more done today. Main thing was the exhaust - twin system with 2 1/4 primaries and 2 1/2 out the back with small balance pipe. I think it might make some noise up in the revs. Radiator came back but we are still to fit the fan sender unit to the top tank.
Cheers

I stripped the engine right down to do the cam belt, waterpump and starter. While i had the wiring loom off and all the other crap i blocked up all the inlett/PCV holes and just attacked it first with the degreaser then the an acid based ali cleaner(ali10??). Then once i dried it off with the air gun i clear coated over it. I cleaned all the parts as i put them back on first in the kero wash bay then silocined them. Took a bit of time but i think its worth it if you want it to look decent.

Philip

I stripped the engine right down to do the cam belt, waterpump and starter. While i had the wiring loom off and all the other crap i blocked up all the inlett/PCV holes and just attacked it first with the degreaser then the an acid based ali cleaner(ali10??). Then once i dried it off with the air gun i clear coated over it. I cleaned all the parts as i put them back on first in the kero wash bay then silocined them. Took a bit of time but i think its worth it if you want it to look decent.

Philip

Right thats what im doing, looks like new. It really is worth the extra effort

im doing a 1uz into a 93 4wd doublecab at the mo and am tryin to sort out radiator was just wondering what radiator u are using i have ordered an ally one pretty much the same as the standard deisel one but with a thermo in between engine and radiator with increased capacity header tanks another question is how close to the firewall do u mount the motor cause i got about 25mm gap and ill be scratchin to get the radiator in without it fowling im guessing that the double cab 2wd drive in this thread would have the same engine bay dimensions as mine so is it poss if u pm me a measurement of the gap u got left in between radiator support panel and one of the pulleys on engine so then i can determine what i need to do oh and did u guys panel beat firewall at all cause i havent
cheers

Radiator we use is a recored diesel radiator (LN85). In my own ute i have used a 4 core centre out of a landcruiser with the standard LN85 top and bottom tanks. We have about 20mm till the left hand cam hits the firewall that gives us around 45-50mm between pullys and radiator face. I could push the engine back but it then makes it harder to remove the gearbox.

cheers,
Philip

cheers mate i think ill still use ally radiator seen as i paid 1100 bucks for it but i will move engine back as well cause being a 4wd it flexes heaps with the articulation its got 12 inches all up lol the body twists to much to let it radiator and destroy it lol cheers again for info

you paid $1100AUD for a ali radiator!!! yikes....i think you can get a ali cross flow radiator here that does the job for about $750NZD....Im just a cheap ass and got mine built for $350NZD haha But yeah if your in the mud and stuff i wouldnt cheap out on cooling.

got the radiator in after a couple more mods from a local guy who builds them (wish i had of known of him earlier he does an awesome job) moved them engine back until it is bout 3 or 4mm of firewall and now radiator has bout 15mm clearance to engine(i recessed radiator into support panel as well, cut the engine mounts carefully of chassis and rewelded them in line with the 1uz block holes and made 2 new mounts squeezed the r150 box into the transmission tunnel i did a 2'' body lift for this to get it so it didnt hangdown below chassis rails(could be desasterous if it got caught on a rock) made a gearbox crossmember outa 12mm plate had it bent to suit and holes stamped out balanced and fitted driveshafts moved battery to passenger side to allow for new airbox location fitted all my wank factor bits like polished rocker covers, 6 x spotlights, big stereo, uhf, all i gotta do is get my mate to wire and dyno it then after its ova the pits fit the big lift kit she be fully fleghed monster lux then with enough power to burn these pushrod v8 idiots away lol

Scott collected his ride

The day has come - the ute is all done and Scott came over to get the ute. It is all legal with the cert plate attached and a new Warrent of fitness. I did the pre delivery test drive and it drove awesome. A brief overveiw

Lexus with standard box and management (soarer non traction control)
Twin exhaust
Rebuild rad, PS, Alternator and starter
Full cambelt/waterpump job
drop spindels
fourpot brakes in the front
rebuilt rear brakes
Sorted from the front bumper to the towbar

Hand controler fitted (done by another local shop)

Everything worked like it should and the motor looked factory

Here are some photos

We are bloody proud and it all worked out better than expected.

Thanks to everyone involved - Rob, Jason, Frans , Jas Brown , Phil , Johney 5 and anyone else i've forgotten

Scott I hope you enjoy driving it as much as we enjoyed building it

Regards Kelvin and the team
The Cartune Company (2003) Ltd
Hamilton , New Zealand

The Fourpot brakes are a kit we make ourselves. Have done many sets for customers and have some more to make at the moment. We do them for hiace and hilux. Also have a rear disc set up in developement. They are heaps better than standard and can still run the standard master cylinder. Cheers