Another 1UZ into Toyota pickup(hilux) thread...

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hafftrak

I have a '91 Toyota 4x4 pickup(North America), with an A340H auto and a dead 3VZE. I have been debating wether to swap a 1UZFE or a 7MGTE into it. I know the Supra auto ECU can control my auto trans, can the LS400 or SC400 ECU control it? I have read what I can find on the hilux swaps, but no one seems to address the electronically controlled transmission compatibility.

Dean

Dean,
The SC400 can control it but from memory the sensors in the rear of the box send the wrong signal to the ECU.

Sideshow (Jim) has done quite a bit of work on this.

Search his threads or posts and you should find the answers.

I run 1uzfe with a341e fitted to a340h transfer with a340h valve body and solenoids with a few simple modifications to the circuit.I have the low range set up to change only when in neutral. The speed sensors on the a341e are necessary to run computer. I feel a better setup would be a341e fitted to a340f transfer then you would be able to retain a341e valve body.The rear speed sensor would have to be fitted also.
]

Transfer case in picture

Madmont, I have a Audi Quattro 4wd box attached to a mid engine mounted 1uz, in your above picture is the method of transfer of drive to the front axel chain or gear drivin is it 1 to 1 do you know of any links where i might find some info, on the transfer case etc
Best Regards
Lambo

throttel body possition?

hi guys iam puting 1 of my 1uz's in2 my jet boat and with the "high rise" exhust system that iam using, iam unable to keep the T/B in it's current location(across rocker cover). iam going to be using a slightly larger T/B off a 350 chev which is a whole lot less unclutted and modifing the intake. am i going to loose performance or upset the running by mounting T/B at front of intake??? or would i be beter off putting it in the centre on top???

Toymaster,

2UZ will be physically the same fit as the 1UZ.

Bluespoon,

I wouldn't guarantee the 350 t/b will talk to the Toyota ECU but blocking off the original t/b flange and putting the t/b on the front of the plenum has been done before and from all reports didn't upset the engine. On a boat you could look at twin t/b's but you would need an aftermarket ECU to get it to run.

hafftrak said:
Hey thanks for the replies guys, some great info here. Another advantage with the a340f t-case is you can run a low-range gearset.

Will the newer a340f tranny itself bolt up/work with the 1UZ and 1UZ ECU?

There were various versions of this transmission in the US. Most lately, it backs the 5VZE, but a version of it also appeared in the 93-95 3.0 T100. The 5VZE version requires some work with the speed sensor and has different valving inside than the older versions, while the T100 3.0 would bolt in place of the a340h in the 90-95 3.0V6 Autos.

The attraction of the a340f is the removable t-case allowing use of the old gear drive cases and doublers.

My 3VZE isn't dead yet, but I want to have everytthing ready to go. I'm looking at the 1UZ or a Toy/Hino diesel. I'm leaning toward the 1UZ though:)

madmont said:
The a34of will bolt to the 1uz all you need is the bellhousing off the 1uz auto

Thanks!!

Do I need the old or new version of the a340f. Have the a340's in the LS400's had a design change like Toyota did when the 5VZE was introduced?

The a340f behind the 3VZE in the T100 is different enough from the a340f behind the 5VZE in the Taco/4Runner that the ECU's won't run them interchangably (is that a word? :) )

I'm wondering which version the 1UZ ECU will run. I think the new version of the a340f behind the 5VZE came out in the US in mid 95. (95.5 Tacoma/96 4Runner)

You dont hava a choice which a340f box you use . The early one has the front drive on the right side and the later one has the drive on the left side.
The a340 is controlled by 3 solenoids the a341 is controlled by 4 solenoids
Check your EPC
The ls400 and sc400 motors have different sumps as well
pics of valve bodies and of transmissions a340h on right a340f on left

madmont said:
You dont hava a choice which a340f box you use . The early one has the front drive on the right side and the later one has the drive on the left side.
The a340 is controlled by 3 solenoids the a341 is controlled by 4 solenoids
Check your EPC
The ls400 and sc400 motors have different sumps as well
pics of valve bodies and of transmissions a340h on right a340f on left

Thanks for the info! As far as not having a choice on which a340f, this isn't entirely true. I'm not reusing the originally supplied transfercase that is attached to the a340f transmission. I will be using (2) gear driven transfer cases outiftted with Marlin crawler gears and coupled together. To make this work, there is a adapter to attach the first reduction box to the transmission, then another adapter to attach the second reduction box/transfer case to the first box. These geared units are right side drop (which is what I have now)

I need to do some searching on the various sump/oilpan shapes to see which will work with my IFS front suspension. I know that when swapping a 5VZ into this vehicle, a T100 oilpan must be used and the oil pickup reworked. I will eventually swap to a solid front axle, which will free up some room, but I haven't determined which one I want to do first. If I can't make the 1UZ fit with the IFS, then that will help set the schedule for me.

My front sump 1UZ cleared the front Toyota IFS (Diff & Steering) with no mods. The oil filter was fine too.

The 2" bodylift helped, but you might get away without a bodylift. Webbie (see 1UZ into Surf Thread) will be trying a front sump with no bodylift on his this IFS Toy in the next couple of weeks.

I don't think a mid sump would work without mods, but a rear sump looks like it might fit. But I have lowered my diff by 30mm to reduce CV Angles.