who has played with cams???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

olskool

Hey guys

I am in the planning stage of building a NA motor for my project. What i am looking for is people that have done cam changes, and if so what were there results. The basis of the motor will be a standard bottom end, standard heads, big exhaust, itb's and and autronic computer. At this stage the vehicle is about 1250kg manual and 3.08 final drive. I am most lively to use kelford cams and springs, but am wheying up what profile can durartion.

Cheers

Check out Kelford's Website it has quite a bit of information on sizing and what they sell.

You can contact them for advice as well.

thanks Zuffen, I have already been to their page a few times, but i more looking for ppl that have actually installed them so i can get an unbiased train of thought.

Attachments

• capt_fec23e618a0b4c59bc238f01cf40adcc_beijing_olympics_athletics_mens_100m_olyat350.jpg
    capt_fec23e618a0b4c59bc238f01cf40adcc_beijing_olympics_athletics_mens_100m_olyat350.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 81
also would like to know the results cam's have made and with what supporting mods - seems to be hardly info on the net about them, and the info about how much they have added hasnt been too convincing.

I too am looking into kelford cams and would like to know what to expect/get an idea.

what actual results have people seen?

only being standard bottom end and heads, i think rev limit would be a conservative 6500-7000 rpm. This is meant to be a streeable motor, horsepowerwise somewhere around 350 na hp at flywheel. My main quandry is that i don't want anything too agressive but at the same time it's a lot of money so I might aswell make as much bang for buck.

I have a set of Kelfords in my supercharged engine.

The cams look well made and certainly work well. Plenty of low down grunt.

One problem we had was the springs they supplied to go with the cam became coil bound before full lift.

We ended up using XR6 Falcon springs.

It's a good time to buy them as the NZ Dolar is around 1.26 to the Aussie Dollar right now.

I have a set of Kelfords in my supercharged engine.

The cams look well made and certainly work well. Plenty of low down grunt.

One problem we had was the springs they supplied to go with the cam became coil bound before full lift.

We ended up using XR6 Falcon springs.

It's a good time to buy them as the NZ Dolar is around 1.26 to the Aussie Dollar right now.

exactly why im looking into buying them but not planning to fit till after i get my car engineered.

would this http://www.camshaftshop.co.nz/index.php/1UZ-FE/207-D-Camshaft/camshaftshop_view.tpl.html be a simple and classed as an easy drop in?

i have the throttle bodies,ecu,zuast, 5 speed to make it all work.

I was looking into the whole (big cams/rods/shim under bucket conversion)

but for now i want something simple with decent results...then if ever get bored pull them out and start again

so what do you guys think of the cam above? can be used retaining stock everything else?

yeh, i rang them today, - these cams look to be on the limit before shim under is needed.

he said they peak around 7k rpm and will need the springs.

what do people think about the max rev limit on standard internal's but still being relatively safe?

7rpm, 7.5rpm?

DenZel.... ask yourself when are you going to 7000-7500 rpm on the the street? I use to have a torana, with a massively worked 5lt, toploader manual and ford rear end running 3 to 1 diff ratio, and in first gear at 6200rpm you were hittign 100 kph and the thing was built to go to 8000rpm. With shorter diff gears wheel spin was uncontrolable. My point is it's great fun to have nasty NA motors but they can be hard to live with and not practical on the street. Big revs will equal a narrower power band and a car that might not be that happy at 5pm on a friday night in peak hour traffic. It's something to think about

car wont be a daily. and im not at looking at "massively worked" 1uzfe - otherwise i would be going a different cam, just giving it a bit more go as the standard cams are very restrictive.

and a 1uzfe 5 speed is a little different to a 5l 308. So cant really see much relevance.

DenZel.... ask yourself when are you going to 7000-7500 rpm on the the street? I use to have a torana, with a massively worked 5lt, toploader manual and ford rear end running 3 to 1 diff ratio, and in first gear at 6200rpm you were hitting 100 kph and the thing was built to go to 8000rpm. With shorter diff gears wheel spin was uncontrollable. My point is it's great fun to have nasty NA motors but they can be hard to live with and not practical on the street. Big revs will equal a narrower power band and a car that might not be that happy at 5pm on a friday night in peak hour traffic. It's something to think about
The twin cam engine is a little different though.. The 1UZ has longer stroke than a 308 but can still rev 7 / 7500 very easy with its well counterweighted crank... The std valve springs for example are very soft when compared to pushrod engines..
Fitting some valve springs which are 30% stronger will get you there..
The valve gear in a pushrod is so much heaver..
The 1uz has much much more left in it performance wise its not funny..
Also being four valve head .. You don't loose too much velocity when porting / CNC them ..Unless you go silly, like any engine..

The point I was making with the torana was, in the wet it was nearly undrivable, it was unreliable and you could never use all the power it made. The car would have been faster without as much power and probably more fun to drive. Just something to think about.

The point I was making with the torana was, in the wet it was nearly undrivable, it was unreliable and you could never use all the power it made. The car would have been faster without as much power and probably more fun to drive. Just something to think about.
Yes it nice to have power like that !! In the wet you wouldn't boot most 1/2 decent std cars anyway.. Yes Holdens are like that !! Lol...

Hey,

Kind of new to mods on a 1UZ but I am also looking at cams from that NZ site and the valve springs, trying to get an idea off my mechanic for cost of installation. He's more or less said, it depends what kind of lifters the engine has, hydraulic or other. Hydraulic means it won't cost me much, other means it will. Any information would be appreciated. I know this info is probably in the forum somewhere else, I don't mean to be a lazy prick, it just pans out like that sometimes.

If you guys could help me out, it'd be much appreciated!

Welcome to forums..
The 1UZ has solid lifters [in push-rod speak] The 1uz has shim over bucket..
The Kelford cams are billet so the base circle is the same as std..
Like all valve assemblies they need to be assembled with CORRECT clearance...
The shim at the top of bucket is removable and come in different thickness to attain correct valve lash...
A small difference in cam spec,valve springs and changes [porting] to lower manifold make a big difference over all ...

And shims are around $12.00 each from Toyota.

If your mechanic is smart he'll minimize the number of shims that need replacing by swapping shims and buckets around but it will be labour intensive.