Which Coils to Use

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Alan Whitaker

Hi All.
Started to wire the engine today, I went with the Spitronic ECU and TCU, I was thinking of loosing the std Ignition and using the LS coils or pencil coils with igniters.
Questions
Which are the best cops to use or are the LS 1 coils better.
I have 6 ignition drivers so can either cop's and LS 1 coils be run as pairs.
I have a 36-1 trigger wheel for the crank sensor and the cam shaft sensors still on the engine, do I need anything el's to make it work.
If I go with cop's which ones are people running, should say it's a none VVTI engine, 1UZ-FE

Alan

The Denso pencil coils for bikes will fit under the stock plastic covers for the cam covers and give you a "clean" look. These do not have onboard ignitors, so you'll need to pick up a couple of 4 channel Bosch ignitors and wire their inputs in parallel, then wire the outputs of the paralleled ignitor channels to the complementary coils for waste spark.

LS coils will have a stronger spark, but they're big & ugly (IMO) and you'll need to fabricate some short secondary leads. They already have onboard ignitors, so you can wire the complementary inputs in parallel and you're done.

Some of the other "smart" Toyota COP's, like the Tundra coils will fit in the plug wells, but you'll need a custom cover (such as those that Sudsy sells) to go over them.

2uz coils will fit under stock covers if you cut off the mounting ear, remove the rubber grommet, sand down the little locating nub under where the rubber grommet sits. Then grind down the reinforcing ribs on the underside of the stock plug wire covers

Hi All

Looks secondary at the moment, just want to get a good spark. I should have said I have 2 turbo's running 22 psi so was looking for the best spark at 22 psi either pencil cops or LS 1 coils,
Had a look on ebay last night re the Corolla cop's but I may just have to buy one to see if they fit.

This is what the manual says

4.11.2 Composite Coil
These hard resin coils consist of single, wasted spark combination or multi coils in a single
housing, and some have built in driver electronics. If it has no driver there is usually a common pin
and one pin for each coil. To measure this coil put the meter on Ohms and measure all the points.
You should get a 0. 8Ohm reading for each coil. If you measure over the two coils it should read
1.6 Ohm. For all of the above coils the ECU Trigger Level Output must be set to ECU Driver so
that the ECU charge the coil with a negative pulse and fire it with a positive going pulse.
From

4.11.3 Electronic Coils
If you measure high resistances or open circuit, then the coils has an internal driver. These coils
normally have a positive, ground and trigger input for each coil. These coils are normally charged
with a positive pulse and fired with a negative going pulse. Using these coils with the ECU requires
an external resistor between the trigger and positive of the coil. The reason is that the ECU only
gives a ground signal for normal coils. For all these coils the ECU Trigger Level Output must be
set to External Driver so that the ECU charge the coil with a positive pulse and fire it with a
negative going pulse. These Coils with internal drivers can be connected two coils per output. You
must add a pull-up resistor per driver and make sure on the firing order that these coils move up
en down simultaneously.

4.11.4 Driver Selection
The Venus ECU can use any number of drivers in combination for coils and injectors. There are
six high current drivers and two low current GP Output drivers. On some firmware may use the GP
Outputs for injector drivers. This is popular for Rotary and V8 engines. The chart below indicates
the most popular combinations. See your specific drawing for the right combination.

Alan