Which aftermarket coils / ign to get ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

3barboost

Hi

I am removing the stock twin dissy setup as I need to buy one coil and two rotors / caps and all leads - my feeling is why not upgrade it will probably be cheaper and have more power potential !

my ecu can handle 4 coils - so wasted spark it is for me
what coils can I / should I get ?

I am running a auto rotor supercharger on a richwood manifold targetting between 10 and 14 psi of boost

All help appreciated

cheers

I should mention what the ecu will support

up to 4 spark outputs; use with factory coils, distributors, or wasted spark coilpacks; 0 volt points OR 5 volt TTL triggering

requires external ignition modules, or coils with built in ignitors

does this mean I could run 8 coil on plugs and wire them up in pairs and trigger them from one of the channels ?

my ecu can handle 4 coils - so wasted spark it is for me what coils can I / should I get ?

Honda S2000 / Accord coils are a good length and will bolt right in. They also have integral ignitors. I haven't run a motor on these as yet, however.

Tundra / Landcruiser coils will work also, but the valve covers have to be modified (relieved/ground down) for them to sit down lower. I've run a 1UZ on these coils up to 15-16 psi of boost with no problems. These coils also have integral ignitors.

Camry coils should also work, but they require an external ignitor.

requires external ignition modules, or coils with built in ignitors

does this mean I could run 8 coil on plugs and wire them up in pairs and trigger them from one of the channels ?

If the coils have integral ignitors, then you can wire two of them in parallel and trigger them from a single ECU channel for your waste spark setup.

If you go with coils that require external ignitors, you should have an ignitor for each coil, then wire the input side (ECU side) of the ignitors in parallel. Do not connect the outputs of the ignitors in parallel, and do not try to run two coils from a single ignitor.

John (cribbj) has put it very well, one thing to add is that you can use most CDI boxes as ignitors as well.

Im in the same boat as you with my EMS and only capabile of 4 ign. outs and requiering the use of external ignitors. Although many people dont like MSD, I have use many of thier products over the years with no issues at all and will be using a MSD DIS4 box and pairing coils. I've done this befor with great success. I am working on a cam triggered diverter that will alternate the 4 ign output to the 8 coils using either 2 DIS4 boxes of some other sort of ignitors thus allowing sequential spark insted of wasted spark.

Hi thanks for the replies

Anyone used "DSM" coils ? apparently they good for up 20-25psi boost with no issues - and msd apparently make an upgrade on them as well.

apparently they are paired - ie two coils for 4 cylinders - a quick ebay search found a few for under 30 USD
so getting two of these wont break the bank and then its down to wiring and placement - which shouldnt be too hard - cop I think are neat and do able but I cant machine to make them fit

Hi thanks for the replies

Anyone used "DSM" coils ? apparently they good for up 20-25psi boost with no issues - and msd apparently make an upgrade on them as well.

If you're speaking about the Chrysler 300 COP "upgrades" that are all over eBay for the DSM cars, I have several of these Chrysler coils here, and they "should" work OK in the 1UZ, but they definitely don't have the quality look & feel of the Denso coils. They also require an external ignitor.

apparently they are paired - ie two coils for 4 cylinders - a quick ebay search found a few for under 30 USD
so getting two of these wont break the bank and then its down to wiring and placement - which shouldnt be too hard - cop I think are neat and do able but I cant machine to make them fit

If these coils are paired, ie two coils for four cylinders, then they're no longer true COP's. Are they the style where one part of the coil fits down over the plug (COP style), then there's a connector on top to feed a normal HT lead to a 2nd plug? Toyota have these also for their V6 motors.

To me, this is a half COP, half CNP (Coil Near Plug) setup.

How about these? LS7 coils....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Honda S2000 / Accord coils are a good length and will bolt right in. They also have integral ignitors. I haven't run a motor on these as yet, however.

Tundra / Landcruiser coils will work also, but the valve covers have to be modified (relieved/ground down) for them to sit down lower. I've run a 1UZ on these coils up to 15-16 psi of boost with no problems. These coils also have integral ignitors.

Camry coils should also work, but they require an external ignitor.

Cribbj, cjsupra90,

What year and/or engine should I look for? I want to use them on a 1UZ-FE.
There are proboarly a lot of different engines used in the Accord. S2000 only used the F22 engine? On ebay they sell them by different years so not one coil fits all ie. 2000,01,02,03 then 2004,05 and 06 an there are different part numbers on them on the S2000(haven't looked at the Accord types yet).

Has anyone used the S2000/Accord succesfully?

By Tundra/Landcruiser coils you mean the 2UZ-FE or the 5VZ-FE coils? Or others?

Bram

hi bram

I am using the 1mz cops on my 1uz while running 15psi boost and do plan to run upto 30psi with this setup.
The only thing is, that you will need to rewire the engine to suit the ingniters to your ecu.

The only special thing that i have done, is index the plugs so the gap is pointing towards the exhurst side so intake does not blow spark out?

the 1mz cops bolt straight up (no grinding etc off top cover required)
here is a link to my post regarding the cops on my thread with the cops installed in engine, and testing spark distance of plugs.
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=106911&postcount=110

hope this helps you out
kevin
Torsen Lsd, Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Thanks Kevin,
Aren't they the same as the 2UZ ones?
They don't have internal igniters do they? I want internal.
Ebay is full of these COP's, allthough different part numbers as in your topic, but still from a 1MV-FE, cars like Lexus ES300 and Toyota Camry, but at least 5 different part numbers on ebay, all denso though.

Anyone know's of a bolt-on(no grinding on the valve covers) with internal igniters COP? I'll proboarly be using a Omex 710 ECU.

Bram

Bram, the S2000 coils looked ideal after inspection, however the problems began when I tried to buy connectors for them. I assumed that Honda had the same great parts system that Toyota does - but not so at all. Long story short, the only way you'll get connectors for these coils is from a junkyard, or by combing through the Sumitomo connector catalog, and maybe getting lucky.

The Tundra/Landcruiser coils I referred to were for the UZ motor. I believe the V6 motors use a double ended coil, which didn't suit me.

Porsche Turbo Cayenne coils also look very promising, and I have a set that I want to try on my motor, but just haven't gotten around to it. Their connectors are readily available from a number of sources and the coils themselves are much cheaper than the Toyota coils. Imagine that!

hi bram

yes they do have internal ingniters, not sure if they are the same but they are out off a import 97camry.
i do have picture post up on my thread that does have the part numbers on them?

what i have noticed, there is a couple of different wiring setups for them, depending on which 1's you get
Torsen Lsd, Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Landcruiser or Camry(1MZ)?
The Camry/ES300 look like external ignitors on pictures on ebay, they are 2 wire but he didn't know if they needed external ignitors.
The ones on ebay are P/N: 90919-02211 unlike hypronet P/N: 90915-02244.
There is one offer on ebay ending in 5 hours, but I want to make shure these are internal, Cribbj stated in post #3 camry ones need external ignitors.

I'll be using an Omex 710 ECU (90% shure), http://www.omextechnology.co.uk/Ecus/710/omem710.htm, wich has 6 ign outputs, but I don't want to run wasted spark. Any solution's to that?
I was thinking of using CBR 600 COP's but then I need a CDI more expensive as the ECU.

Bram

Found out myself, they defeneditly need external ignitors.

Omex offer DIS coil packs for 4 and 6 cyl. engines. Can such coil packs be used with CBR600 COP's or other COP without internal ignitors, or are such coil pack's to be used with a plug and pluglead form the coil pack?

hi bram,

i made a typo in my last post?

the cops im using is controlled by my ecu, so i dont need ignitors for it.
the EMS8860 ecu has 4, 6, or 8 Sequential Ignition outputs (Coil-on-Plug)