Where are all the V160s??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

T_Terror

So im looking at manual options for a 1UZ.

Checked out a few Tremec options.

But cant find ANY twinturbo 6speed boxes off supras!

Spoke to Toyota just for fun about ordering one in.

THey want $12500 including GST.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought my whole Supra for less!!!

Even ebay US has nothing.

Anyone have any pointers for places i might find one.

There's always several for sale on www.supraforums.com. They come & go fairly regularly.

Here's the MKIV Parts for Sale classifieds: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8

Here are some ads from just the first page of classifieds, I'm sure there are more:

Colorado, comes with clutch, flywheel, etc. $5000: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341848

Chicago, $1500: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341828

New Jersey, low mileage $2500:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339058

Don't be put off by one which is high mileage or with minor damage. There are several guys who rebuild them for the Supra community with very good results.

John

Yea i tried supraforums.com but it denies access and says you need to be registered to view the forums.

It also says registration is restricted.

vBulletin Message
Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

Thanks for the help, i thought the US forums would have most of the stuff but im not sure what the problem is

Inside the Getrag organisation, the Supra V160 is known as the 233. The same tranny is also in the Skyline GTR. I wasn't aware the BMW 850ci used this tranny; I thought it would've been the Getrag 226 which is a 500Nm 6spd that the big 5 series, M5, and Alpina used.

Interestingly, Getrag's website no longer shows the 233, but skips from the 226 to the 238.

I would be VERY interested in seeing some photos of this BMW version V160 when you get them

John

The supraforums.com website has been locked due to security probs, the owner told me it hsould be up and running again soon.

Thanks to cribbj for your help.

Well, here's what we can do. I and a few others here are Supraforums veterans. Whoever is really serious about getting a V160, please respond. We can e-mail the V160 owner in SF, and give him your information and you his information. But again , please realize that V160's usuall run 2500usd used, and when they are for sale, they sell fast. I guess what I am saying is to have money in hand ready to move on it.

Thanks guys,

Eric

Benn said:
i got a getrag 6speed V160 (40k miles!!!) from the BMW 850Ci for 1150$. i need the matching bellhousing but over all it´s cheaper than buying a used Supra tranny.
Benn, do you have any more info on this 850Ci Getrag? I'm corresponding with a shop who recently completed the "only" E38 750il 6spd conversion in the US, using a 6spd Getrag from an 850Ci. I sent him photo's of the Supra Getrag and he claims it looks similar, but is definitely not the same box as the one he swapped into the 750il. Obviously the bell housings are entirely different, but he said the rest of the tranny is different as well. I'd be very interested in seeing pics of your tranny.

John

If i have a choice and good after support on misc drivetrain parts. I would like to lean toward the T56. There are few cars in US use them. For example:

* Covette
* Camero
* Trans Am
* Mustang Cobra
* Viper
* And few others.

I am sure its easier to use V160 then T56 because Toyota parts and things will fit better and more support (bellhousing, shafts and so on)

Plus the shifter hole on the V160 lines up with the stock shifter hole.

Eric

Eric, do you know anything about this BMW 850Ci tranny being the same as the Supra V160?

I'm told the BMW model is a 560Nm Getrag, while I know that our Supra 6spd is a 490 to 500Nm model, depending on whose specs you read.

Can you PM me and put me in touch with this Andy fellow?

Thx,

John

Getrag 6 speed information

Here's some data I've found regarding the Getrag trannies:

The Getrag 6spd from the BMW 850 series car is known as the S6S-560G (BMW designation), and within Getrag it is called the type 286/6. It's a 560Nm tranny and its bellhousing is integral to the box.

Ratios for the 286/6 box are:
1st.....4.254
2nd....2.534
3rd.....1.682
4th.....1.235
5th.....1.000
6th.....0.831
Differential: 2.93

The Getrag 6spd from the Toyota Supra is known as the V160 (Toyota designation) or the V161 (same basic box, slightly different ratios), and within Getrag it is called the type 233. It's a 490Nm tranny, and its bellhousing is integral to the gearbox.

Ratios for the V160 are:
1st.....3.827
2nd....2.360
3rd.....1.685
4th.....1.312
5th.....1.000
6th.....0.793
Differential: 3.133

And for the V161:
1st.....3.724
2nd....2.246
3rd.....1.541
4th.....1.205
5th.....1.000
6th.....0.818
Differential: 3.133

And a reply that I just received from Getrag themselves:

Dear Mr. Cribb,
thank you for your e-mail below and your interest in GETRAG products.
Please be informed that ...
GETRAG has produced in the past the (GETRAG internally called) type 286 transmission for use in the BMW 850i/CSi, as well as the (GETRAG internally called) type 233 transmission for use in the Toyota Supra Turbo and Non-Turbo variants (V160).
Despite the fact that both transmissions have been 6-speed - so-called Inline transmissions for rear wheel driven vehicles - : As you could figure out by our internal numbering system the numbers are not the same, thus the transmissions which we have used for this BMW applications and these Toyota vehicles were quite different.
Both transmissions were tailormade for our respective customer, the OEM (different center distances, different housings, different centres of gravity, different ratios, different weights, different fixation points in the frame of the vehicle, different ..., etc. p.p.). => These 2 transmission types are not interchangeable, i.e. it is not possible to exchange simply the bellhousings and then use the transmission for another purpose.
No matter what other retailers, tuners and/or any other "crack" may do (or be capable of), we have to inform you that ...
- the 286 was designed, developped, successfully tested and approved for use in the standard "850" SOLELY in accordance with our customers (here BMW) requirements
- the 233 was designed, developped, successfully tested and approved for use in the standard "Supra" SOLELY in accordance with our customers (here Toyota) requirements
- thus any other usage of either one of these transmissions will automatically result in a non-acceptance of GETRAG for any potential claim and/or misfunction of the transmission and therefor GETRAG will not bear any responsibility for such "abuse" or its outcome/results

True; but they're the OEM, so what else would we expect? :veryhappy

Anybody who has detailed pics or dimensions of the 850's Getrag, please email them to me? I'll return the favor with pics of the Supra Getrag.

John