What to service on 3UZ before starting swap?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Thomo

Hey Guys,

First time post, long time lurker.

I picked up a 3UZ that I am going to be swapping into a short wheel base 70 Series Landcruiser that I am building up to compete in the Ultra4 Europe series.

So I have the motor on my stand and am ready to start cleaning things up and carrying out a bit of maintenance before I start the swap. I am planning on doing the following:

1. Replace Cam Belt
2. Replace Cam belt idler pulleys and tensioner.
3. Replace Water pump.
4. Replace the Cylinder head cover gaskets
5. Replace spark plug tube gaskets.

Are there any other items that I should be looking at that will be a PITA to service once it's in the truck that I may as well do while it's out?

I also need to remove the AC compressor and Hydraulic Fan pump so any tips on establishing belt length would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Thomo

I always check the starter motor as well. While in there check the VSV for the Variable intake manifold system. I see around 50% of these failing on the motors we are getting. While you have the intake manifold off clean out all the oil that builds up in there. Noting to worry about but common on many of the later toyotas.

I generally replace the front crank seal while doing the cambelt. I only do the camseals if I feel they really need to be done. My supplier has many stories of workshops needing replacement motors after breaking cams from attempting to change cam seals and getting it wrong.

What model of 3UZ did you get to have a hydraulic fan pump? We see JDM LS430 which all have an idler and run electric fans.

To measure your drive belt, sneak into your wife's sewing basket and "borrow" her dressmakers tape measure.

Run it around the pulleys with the tensioner as tight as it will go.

Take the measurement and get the closest belt to that length.

The other way is chop your old belt and use it to run around the pulleys (like the tape measure) and mark it where it overlaps. Measure and order the belt.

Thanks for the response guys. The motor is out of a UK Spec 2002 LS430.

I think I am mistaken about the hydraulic fan pump. Just checked Toyodiy and there are two electric motors shown on the radiator. I have been doing more reading on this motor than Actually looking at it so I'll double check this weekend.

What is the best way to check the starter? Other than turning it over...

Thanks again for the feedback. This is my first motor swap so there will be plenty more questions to follow.

This is a pic of the motor I picked up:
image_zpsn8o2bexq.jpg

image_zpstvip1hbg.jpg

Cheers
Thomo

The hydraulic pump on the front of yours is for the power steering. If you don't want power steering, or are using electric, you can simply remove it. Then you just need a short crankshaft pulley to alternator belt which simplifies things and tidies the motor up somewhat.

+1 to gloverman for checking the VSV for ACIS system
If you will undo the intake it's also worth looking at the ACIS butterflies and their screws in particular. They sometimes undo themselves over time.

Also note that any 3UZ ECU can control the fans steplessly. You only need to source Toyota fan driver (shiny box mounted on radiator).