What fuel pump

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mat Grant

Hi,

Sorry another question - I need to source a fuel pump, running stock ECU, stock manifolds. Can anyone recommend a make and model of aftermarket fuel pump I can use with the 1UZFE engine?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers, Mat.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the info - the place I'm getting the fuel hose sells the Bosch 044 so will get one of those.

Thanks, Mat

PS would this pump be adequate if I did some tuning / forced induction in the future? (just out of interest)

More than adequate... fuel pumps shouldn't technically be measured by HP but people quote it as being good for 600-800HP and its one of the better pumps around, if you wanna go 1000HP or bigger you can run two of the 044s. So yeah do it once do it right.

Hi,

Presumably if the pump is putting out more flow and pressure than the engine needs the regulator will allow the fuel back down the return pipe, so a higher spec pump will just mean a larger proportion of the time the regulator will be flowing fuel back. Is this correct? Is it ok to run like this in the long term?

Cheers, Mat.

With two pumps you'll require a bigger fuel reg and return line or you'll over heat the fuel...
Another cheaper alternative is the Walbro 255 intank pump..
around $100 U.S... Capable of atleast 450 rwhp..
Pump information, voltage at 13.2v
GSS-341 and GSS-342
PSI......GPH.......LPH.......AMPS

Thanks for the info, I should have pointed out that I'm looking to use the pump in a single pump application - the tank at present has no pump built in - so unless I need one, i'm not planning on fitting one.

I've seen walbro pumps - is there a suitable external one available?

Cheers, Mat.

Mate are you talking about overheating fuel if running two pumps in parallel or series?

Also, running into a swirl pot (surge tank first) should give the fuel time to cool right?

Mat,

As a founder member of the "Bosch burnt out fuel pump club", I killed two, I came to the conclusion that modern FI pumps arent made for sucking but they are excellent at pushing.

Hence I now fit a swirl pot into the fuel tank with the return line feeding right into it, stick a standard lexus ls 400 in tank fuel pump set at a permanent 12 volts into the swirl pot and it all works really well.

No fuel starvation when giving the car the beans or when cornering aggressively and fuel pumps last forever. Plus its really quiet in operation.

Cheers,

Tony

Mate are you talking about overheating fuel if running two pumps in parallel or series?

Also, running into a swirl pot (surge tank first) should give the fuel time to cool right?
Parallel Your after flow...Adding another inline doesn't double its output..
As said above.. It keeps fuel up to the pumps.. Much like a dry sump on an engine..
These are VERY popular in U.S...

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/

Interesting day yesterday,

I have an 044 pump fed from a swirl pot that is fed from a carter lift pump. This has worked very well with some very spirited driving until yesterday.

The weather was a touch warm at 37c in Perth Yesterday and after around 45 minutes driving the fuel was boiling as it was going into the 044 causing it to make horrid noises and get hotter.

Under boost the noise went away which had me puzzled for a while until I realised that the higher fuel pressure was lifting the fuel boiling point.
I pulled the vacuum line off the reg and the noise went away at Idle.

My theory is that the 044 was pumping too much fuel over the reg and generating too much heat along with the heat soak from the engine through the fuel rails.

It was a bloody hot day yesterday and I was giving car a bit of curry at the time testing launch control and traction control.

I'm investigating going to an in tank pump in a swirl pot built inside the fuel tank fed from another in tank pump.

Basically 2 x walbro 225's.

Cobber...
What size are your lines and fuel reg ?? I had to upgrade my fuel reg to -8 return..
With Magnafuel reg..Steel / alloy pipes help cooling over braided lines ..
I also run a T where my return fuel is split between surge tank and fuel tank..
Check how well insulated the hot parts are to fuel lines..
Another option is fitting a boosta pump system where you control voltage to pumps at low boost..http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/boostapump.html

All lines are 3/8 steel and run away from hot parts along with short -6 braided lines elsewhere. Std reg & fuel rails. I have a spare pwm output on the ecu so I could try that to adjust pump speed and also run the return fuel from the reg directly back to the main tank.

Never had any problems on cooler days.

I think the std fuel reg is not flowing quick enough ??
Make sure fuel filter before pump is 100 micron or it will over heat..
Then a 40 micron after fuel pump...

100 micron pre carter lift pump and 10 micron post 044.

I changed the 10 micron filter element yesterday (I could blow through the old one easily) and it worked fine but the day was nowhere near as hot.

The system has worked great till now but I have not driven it on a hot day before.

I have run this same set up in 2 other off road buggies and never had any problems hence why I use the same on this project.

I will get a 40 micron element and try that.

I don't think I will take up petrol sniffing.

Check the wiring / voltage to pump ?? If voltage is too low with voltage drop due to incorrect wire size.. The motor in pump has a hard time and heats up..
I used a relay feed of the std pump circuit 4mm [sq] wire to battery..

I changed the reg last night for one from a 7Mgte (looks the same so I presume it is) and the pump sounds a lot happier and quieter than it has ever been.

wiring is through a relay and good size wire as I'm running two pumps.

I'm over petrol sniffing now.

Sorry for the thread hijack and thanks for your help.