what ECU to run with supercharger & std auto

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sav

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance. I searched all other topics for answers but I thought i'd ask you experts some questions!! I need to know what ECU to run or the best way to go about my problem I have.

I have a 1uz motor with standard auto behind it from a Lexus with the single ECU for both auto and engine in my Toyota hilux, now I am putting a supercharger on this motor but dont want to put the std ECU as have heard of restrictions for boost. I have been told that if I run a stand alone ECU, haltech microtech etc I will have problems with the auto not changing gears. Now I would like to keep this auto as the hilux I have has been set up for this gearbox, all mounts done etc and dont really want to have to change it!!

what do you guys recommend, have looked at the piggy back option unichip etc, will this be a good solution, will I get good power from a unihip with no major dramas,

Any help you could give me would be fantastic,

Cheers.

Daniel.

Sav,

Welcome to the forum. Its all depend on how much boost you will be running. ECU will be different from 8 psi to 16 psi and beyond 16 psi you will need a different ecu. If low enough boost (< 7 psi), you might not need an ECU all all.....

Thanks Lextreme.

I was thinking of along the lines of 8-16 psi, do you have any recommendations for that?

Sav,

The concensus seems to be run Autronic but then you have Trans problems.

Have you looked at running a "manual" auto.

Do a search under "tiptronic" and you will find this has been a long term problem and a few people have opted to select the autos gears manually via an electronic controller.

One of our Moderators KDog used to build a controller but he's now unable to build them due to time constraints.

I think there are a few others working on the system and no doubt a solution is available. Look hard and you may find the answers.

8-16psi is a lot of boost. Are you planning turbo or supercharging? At 16lb you'll need either good intercooling and/or decompress the engine.

Ok cool thanks for this guys, I'm planning on supercharging with an intercooler, around the 10-12psi mark.That was the plan but I will think about std ECU with 7 PSI but the quesion is will I be happy with that??!!??

SAV the auto issue need not be an issue. MV does sell a magic box
I run two flip switches conected to solenoid 1 and 2 total cost of $5 you have to get use to the combination but it is my daily driver and i have had no problems with it at all.
if you want to make it more user frendley and have a gear stick still (mine would not fit) then make up a very simple circuit so that the power from the inhibitor switch: when 1st(L) is selected powers solenoid 1
2nd is selected powers 1 &2 solenoid
D is selected powers solenoid 2
For forth gear have a flip switch cutting power to solenoid 2
and have the over drive button connected to the torque converter lock up solenoid

OK some one can't drive it without 2 minuites instruction but this is you SC hilux you don't want just any idiot driving it. you will get a slightly stiffer shift as the pressure control solenoid is not powered it applies full pressure.
if you want to know any more i am happy to answere any questions.

here abouts are you in Austraia?

I spoke with MV Automatics today to find out about their controler.

Price $199.00. Cheap!

How does it work? You use the standard shifter to row it thru the gears like a sequential shift tiptronic. 1, 2 & 3 are selected with the lever and 4th comes form the o/d switch. Sounds simple enough for me.

I'll probably send them my entire trans for some toughening up as I expect mine to handle a fair bit of grunt plus I need to mod the output shaft.

They seem a nice bunch to talk to.

Thats awesome thanks guys, I'm in Sydney. whereabouts is MV Automatics or can you give me there number please I will give them a call, I too need to get my box tuffened up plan on putting some power through it!!

Next step is to get a computer and get everything sorted out for when my supercharger arrives from the states!!

Cheers Daniel.

Contact Michael Vidau at MV Automatics: 1 Stirling Rd, Blackwood.SA. 5051 Phone: 08 8370 0430 Fax: 08 8370 0431
I had Michael service my Lexus gearbox earlier this year,replacing seals and fitting a mild shift kit.

Quadcam I'm using the Eaton M90 supercharger.

Thanks for the details Duece I will give him a ring this week.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Sav,

I've recently heard arumour KDog may go back into production of his tiptronic controller early next year.

The difference between the KDog and MV Autos unit is KDogs is true push button to chage gears and with MV you use the shift leaver to select 1,2 & 3 and the overdrive button for 4th.

MV Autos sell their's for $199.00 and last post of KDogs unit I saw was around $300.00. Personally I favour KDogs unit.

Zuffen,

Thanks for that, I like the sound of the push button over selecting with shifter. I am in no hurry so I can wait till early next year. Still waiting for the supercharger to arrive from the states then will have to do some mods to fit it then get it wired up!!

I will get in contact with kdogs.

I have been thinking about KDog's Unit... Too bad i dont have an aftermarket ecu to control it..

Its good news that KDog is making it again. He told that he was very busy at his work and unable to make any for a while now.

David,

It's a rumour.

If Russell does go back into making them he'll let us all know.

At least he knows there's a bunch of orders waitning to be placed.

anyone tried to fit a GM ecu or even tranny on this engine?
If you have a CKP signal you could install an LS1 pcm which is fully editable... still have all necessary things for check engine and diagnostics and such and you "could" make the stock tranny work if it has the same way of activating the solenoids....

Talked to the Haltech guys at the summernats, they have a piggyback ecu (called an Interceptor) for $1100 that they assure me works with the Lexus v8 and auto, and takes about 40mins to wire up. Worth a try as well.

hi, check out Greddy E-manage www.trust-power.com/e-manI use it with my CR-V turbo set up and it work well.....with 0.7bar of boost and controll 2 additional injector. I didn't see that it have harness for 1uz-fe but somehow it have harness for VH45 (a nissan V8) so I think that it should work with 1uz as well. The unit is very affordable and come with english version software as well....

I think that Apex power FC and HKS F-con are programable ECU that come with software that in Japanese language only.