What does the 1UZ block look like without the water pump

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Nath

Hi Everyone,
I'm new so hello,

Just purchased a 1UZ-FE engine to strip down and build a magnesium roots blown and mechanically fuel injected drag race only engine to power my newly imported Reliant kitten fiberglass bodied, space frame drag car. (Yes it will be totally crazy) See build up pics here: http://nullobjective.idx.com.au

My first thought's were to get rid of the original water pump and run an engine plate flush across the front of the block, pluming the water chamber with a hose to an external electrical water pump. I'd like to know the flow of the water in the engine so I don't starve any chambers.

I'd like to run an engine plate on the front and back of the block as this will mount directly to the chassis increasing strength and distributing load.

As the engine is a full race engine there is little requirement for having a stable water system as the water system will just allow the engine to come up to temprature without worrying too much if it gets too hot.

Make sense?

Well I have yet to take off the water pump and was wondering if anyone has a photo of the block without the water pump? I'd like to see if my idea will work before I pull out the original pump as the engine is not totally stripped yet.

I have noticed from pics on this site that there are different styles of water pumps of different blocks.

It seems that my water pump mounts directly to the front of the block but in the picture at the link below it seems, on this engine, the water pump mounts over the top of the block as well as the front. It seems that if you were to remove this pump than the front brace(?) would be incomplete as it is formed by the block and the pump together. Am I right?
http://www.lextreme.com/csasp%20215.jpg

My other idea is to run a aftermarket distributer off the cam in the original distributer mounting bracket. I am not sure what distrubuter yet but I am guessing any type could be modified to fit. In searching the net I found a dizzy here: http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=MAL-3772101 which mounts to the crank of a Ford Flathead engine. Surly this could be modified to sit in an adapted lexus dizzy bracket? It actually looks pretty easy.

Any thoughts of the above will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Nath
Sydney Australia

The water pump acts as an idler for the cam belt. Far easier to leave it there and let it do it's (double) duty.

Assuming you supercharge the engine you would be using aftermarket management so ignition depends on what you use.

1,000hp is readilly available without going to things like mechanical injection.

I don't think anyone has built a mechanical injection petrol engine for road or circuit racing use use since the early 70's and then it would have been either Porsche or Mercedes.

Yanks use mechanical injection on Fuel cars because of the amount of fuel the use. I don't think you need to go that far and you will get more from a well setup EFI system than the dinasour systems used in big time drag racing.

You need to retain to water pump as an idoler for the cam timing belt. If you want to save power rob from the water pump, just remove the impellor off the shaft (press it off if possible or remove it with an angle grinder) and leave the shaft and idoler in place. I have heard of someone putting a 2nd pulley on one of the cam pulleys and running a 2nd cog belt down to a belt driven distributer. You could also try that if you need to use a distributer.

looks like a RWD mazda 323! man a blown 1UZ in one of them would be MAD with wheelstands galore...

congrats on building something original - and thanks for having a look around before you decided to ask questions. big brownie points for you.

will you be running with mech inj or using a c-c-c-carby...?

Hi,
The reason I am looking a mechanical injection is because it is a tried and true method of fuel delivery and sits well with a Roots type blower. The systems are quite simple any easy and work well. There is a reason why almost all Aussie racers in supercharged outlaw calss run them.

I am traveling a different road with the 1UZ-FE, hoping to unlock it's rev potential. I want to set it up in an older style and look, hence a Roots Blower. The blower will pump 20psi so it's not going to be sluggish.

I have a completly stripped of electronics 1UZ-FE so there is no going back to that plastic pile. I am considering EFI from a brand called BDS and a couple of others.

The ignition system most likley will be a Mallory digital.

I know a lot of you use your engines as street prepped but I am not interested in doing this with mine. It will be all out race ready.

Here is a boat with a different design again. This will be close to what I am looking at.
http://www.forcedairtech.com.au/jet_boat.htm

Here is a picture of a 1999 LS400 vvti 1UZFE... looks identical to the above picture. Looks like Toyota got the block right from the start.

Thanks for the pics, they are a great help. Apon looking at other post on the water pump it maybe better to leave it alone for now.

One reason for getting rid of it is that you then have a frat surface across the block to mount an engine plate. I was thinking then off the plate that you could attach a new belt tensioner and ildler wheel and it could also double as a mount for fuel pump, ignition boxes etc.

All big thought in my haed at the moment. I am still to build my chassis! You must take all this into consideration beforhand or you can get yourself in a big mess if you don't plan.

Thanks for the help.
Nath

Nath,

Drop along to Panania East Hills RSL on Sunday from 11.00 and see what has been done to street cars.

Hope to see you there.

You are a crazy mofo. I see you've been inspired by the Beardmore Kitten. I like it ;)

I had the pleasure of seeing the Beardmore brothers race the Kitten a few times when it was running a stock 150hp Rover V8 and it was quick then (12's, I think).

Mazda 323? Christ, these things are more Austin Mini sized!

Sounds like one hell of a ride! short wheelbase and lots of power,all over the track!
When i first got my 1UZFE a few years ago i mucked around and fitted a pair of 350 holley carbys and a V8 Chrysler electronic dizzy.
Nath,Thought you might be interested in how i fitted the dizzy.
I machined an adaptor up out aluminium that bolted in place of the original left hand dizzy cap,it had hole in the center that lined up with the 17mm bolt that holds the timing pulley onto the camshaft.
This bolt is what i used to drive the modified dizzy using a (Don't laugh) 17mm socket,
yes a bit dodgy,but it worked.
I will try and get some photos if you are interested.

Cool I was thinking along these lines but milling up an adapter that located between the cam's pully slots.

Yeah the car should be crazy. I can't wait!

Only problem is that I shipped the body out and it was severly damaged on the way. So I must fix this up first.

N

Nath said:
Hi Nath,

I read your above article about the V8 boat and I think you may be able to help some of us.

You've obviously put some effort in to your engine with head work in porting and polishing, plus big cams but with no overlap which are ideal for FI and Kawasaki valve springs. Also I note the lower compression pistons.

As many on here are stuggling to find after market parts such as cams plus (like me) check out availability before deciding firmly on the path of a project, you could be of great help.

Could you post more details about these changes, and would you be prepared to make available these parts and knowledge?

I'm very impresses with this site as it runs totally on goodwill and is not for profit, I'm sure anyone interested would be prepared to pay towards your R&D efforts though obviously as long as it's reasonable and in the spirit of the site.

Anyone any other comments?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Skid,
There has been a mis understanding. The boat engine is not mine but was built by Danny Williams who is the propitior of this site. http://www.forcedairtech.com.au

Danny was super helpful in my inquiry and sent me some serious HP design theories he is working on. I dare not add them here without his permission but will alert him to the forum and perhaps Lextreme could personally invite him (Or another administrater)
to join the forum.

Danny is helping me design a mechanical Roots type 6/71 supercharged 1UZ.

He knows **** LOADS!!!

I don't know him enough to ask too much of him at the moment, He is In Melbourne Australia but travels to Sydney a fair bit.

I think this site is great also and hope to share everything about my engine's design.

I guess putting this engine in a drag car is breaking new ground. I'm lucky people in Sydney and OZ are already doing it! Make the learning curve mush mellower.
Nath

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

How dare I attribute someones elses engineering capabiliteis to you!!! ;)

Please tell him about the site your self. If you jot a note to Lextreme I'm sure he'd inform you of the correct route should some one be offering parts for sale.

Maybe he could offer up some cam kits for FI and NA plus other goodies as a direct or exchange service. If he offered relatively cost effective (cheap) prices to site members he could at least earn a few bucks for his time spent already on the engine.

It all helps spread the word on this wonderful engine and could give him a bigger market place for future work.

Cheers M

Hey Nath,

Instead of running a Dizzy have you thought about running one of these?
http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/xdi.html

I am running one of these HPX coil systems in my stockcar and it is brilliant.
3 wires, heaps of control over the timing curve and they come with plently of accessories. I threw all of the std electronics off my engine and this has simplified things so much.
All we did was remove the original crank angle sensor, made an adapter bush and mounted the HPX crank sensor in the same spot as the orginal. Cut a Key way in the trigger wheel and bolted the front pulley back on. Just so simple!

I run a Holley carb, so I had no use for the EFI either.