What could it be??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V8_IS200_marcus

Hi guys, i got me timeing belt all done and all seem ok, well i took the car out lastnight for a run, but the car did not feel right, so i pulled over to take a look, all seemed ok untill i rev it up, the turbo smoke,s when i stop reving the car, i think the return pipe to the sump is backing the oil up some how, and therfore there is too much oil sitting in the turbo, and as the turbo gets very hot and that's why it smokes,

What else could it be if its not that? i dont think the inlet seal has gone on the turbo, as it only smokes under boost, if I take the pipe off just before the engine inlet, so the car runs without the turbo, and I then rev the car all is ok,

Last edited by a moderator:
hey bro, the only way that the turbo can be smoking is if ur seals aregone like u said, or you are pressuring the crankcase while boosting. Dont know if by any chance you did the timing belt you maybe did something else but if you have the hose going in to the throttle body from your valve cover then you must disconnect it and let it vent. this is the valve cover under the throttle body side. hope this works for you.

Check the crankcase ventilation pipes ? One of them must be removed or you'll pressurise the crankcase..
If they are ball bearing turbo's ?? They MAY require a restrictor on the oil feed line..
But first I would make sure the oil return is o/k.. It must be almost straight down to sump for the first 4 - 5 inches then no more angle than 45*..
The size should be around 3/4 inch..
I use stainless steel flex tube, electricians use it in some situations like petrol bowsers etc..
It can be routed close to hot exhaust without any chance of burning through etc..
Using silicon tube to join ..
Check bearing / shaft wear ?? Thrust and side to side..

Check what XR8tt has mentioned. It could be the oil return line. If it's because of the return line, it must be fixed right away or the turbo seals will eventually be gone. They could have been gone bad already, which we hope not. The other alterrnative for the oil return line is the silicone braided line. I'm using it and it's strong with heat resistance and easier to be routed than stainless steel braided line.

hey bro, the only way that the turbo can be smoking is if ur seals aregone like u said, or you are pressuring the crankcase while boosting. Dont know if by any chance you did the timing belt you maybe did something else but if you have the hose going in to the throttle body from your valve cover then you must disconnect it and let it vent. this is the valve cover under the throttle body side. hope this works for you.

HI guys and thanks for your feedback on this,

I still have the valve covers connected ? the EGR side i have going to a catch can then back to side of the inlet, the one under throttle body is still connected as it all ways has been, do i need to disconnect them both?

I also think my oil return need redoing (and put it in a better place) as its not falling right,

yr turbo needs to drain the oil quicker than it can be fed to it

if u have bad drain pipe or kinked or restricted then it will build up and pressuried in the turbo oil section and blow thru the seals

if your drain pipe is going back into the sump
u need to make sure its above the oil level
otherwise the oil level will be above the ol drain outlet and stop oil returning
then you will get oil going thru yr seals

might be time to go back and do some research and reading about how all this works
every week you have a new problem
it hardly sounds it was worth it if you constantly fixing the fkr
hheheheheheehe

HI guys and thanks for your feedback on this,

I still have the valve covers connected ? the EGR side i have going to a catch can then back to side of the inlet, the one under throttle body is still connected as it all ways has been, do i need to disconnect them both?

I also think my oil return need redoing (and put it in a better place) as its not falling right,

U have to disconnect the one going into the throttle body and let it vent out to the atmosphere or put a catch can on it. The othe side where ur egr is, u should have a pcv valve. All u can do with that one is connect it back to the egr as long as ur pcv valve is in good operating condition. I used a 2jz pcv valve.

Try that for now and go take it for a spin and see what it does. then if its still smoking excessively, then u blew ur seals or fix ur drain. but by pressurizing ur crankcase u will not let the oil drain back into the sump.

Let us know what the outcome is and goodluck.

yr turbo needs to drain the oil quicker than it can be fed to it

if u have bad drain pipe or kinked or restricted then it will build up and pressuried in the turbo oil section and blow thru the seals

if your drain pipe is going back into the sump
u need to make sure its above the oil level
otherwise the oil level will be above the ol drain outlet and stop oil returning
then you will get oil going thru yr seals

might be time to go back and do some research and reading about how all this works
every week you have a new problem
it hardly sounds it was worth it if you constantly fixing the fkr
hheheheheheehe

Hi side show, i take my hat of to you mate, you do help!! and good help it is most of the time but could you just give the piss take a rest mate, as i for one can do with out it, now if you want to help me then please do so, :D

Thanks for your help

The seal won't break with too much oil or pressure..
Once issue is fixed they will stop leaking..
If seals are good in the first place...
It can take a while for oil to clear from exhaust.
Giving you heaps anxiety till it clears!!!
As said just pull the throttle body hose and rout it to the air cleaner via catch can if you want ...

U have to disconnect the one going into the throttle body and let it vent out to the atmosphere or put a catch can on it. The othe side where ur egr is, u should have a pcv valve. All u can do with that one is connect it back to the egr as long as ur pcv valve is in good operating condition. I used a 2jz pcv valve.

Try that for now and go take it for a spin and see what it does. then if its still smoking excessively, then u blew ur seals or fix ur drain. but by pressurizing ur crankcase u will not let the oil drain back into the sump.

Let us know what the outcome is and goodluck.

The seal won't break with too much oil or pressure..
Once issue is fixed they will stop leaking..
If seals are good in the first place...
It can take a while for oil to clear from exhaust.
Giving you heaps anxiety till it clears!!!
As said just pull the throttle body hose and rout it to the air cleaner via catch can if you want ...

Thanks guys for your help, i will let you know how i get on..

Also be sure to check the factory specifications for the size of your oil drain line. If it is too small, you will not drain enough oil fast enough.

Ryan

Also be sure to check the factory specifications for the size of your oil drain line. If it is too small, you will not drain enough oil fast enough.

Ryan

Hi mate, i think its 3/4" i used for the oil drain, but the way rooted it, could well be why its not draining fast as there seems to be a bit of flat spot in the line!!

Hi guys, i have pulled the pipe that goe,s to the throttle body, the pipe that goe,s to the EGR is still connected to the catch can, and all seems ok now!

Thanks for all your help guys :)