What can be deleted off the motor without causing ill effects?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That appears to be enough grab with your setup....I have seen less grab on some 1uz's belt setups with no problems reported, strange.....You can reduce the size of that very large upper left idler...A change to a very small idler in it's place will create just a little more belt grab in regards to your alternator slippage..

Ooopppps, my bad....

Simple - Replace your top center idler with a much smaller one...That should do the trick and give you more belt grab onto the alternator...Maybe a 2 1/2" inch universal free spinning idler will work like the one I am using but smaller...Here are some pics......

Universal idler - $20 at most any autoparts store...

Simple - Replace your top center idler with a much smaller one...

I removed it to do exactly what you suggested but found nothing smaller will fit on mine (will take a pic).

I also removed the whole tensioner mount to see if I could maybe tighted up the spring or see if there was anything wrong with mine but found no solution

Was thinking maybe I could replace the alternator pully with a bigger one, that would work to stop the slipping,
But it would also make the alternator spin slower which would affect charging

Im suprised no one else has tryed to do what im doing and had no problems.

As soon as you delete the Power steering there is no way to run the belt the right way around the Alternator

Unless you run the wrong way round the tensioner OR do what im doing
(If you do run the wrong way aroung the tensioner it wont work. Obvisley)

I have an idear to try and get some more tension on the alternator, so i'll give that a go.

Here is the pic that explains the problem with the tensioner and why you can't put on a smaller pully
tenserniorfit.jpg

This is a pic of the belt no, just a thought but maybe I have the wrong belt.
I noticed it doesn't fit into the groves very well

DSCN0809.jpg

As you can see the light in this one

beltfit.jpg

V8Datto:

If you only need the alternator why do you bother with the original tensioner ?

Retain the upper mount for the alternator and make the lower one adjustable, this way
the fanbelt only runs between the crank pulley and the alternator and the alternator is
used to adjust the tension. If you look at the last post from 340i on this page you will
see what I mean.

Yeah you can just bypass the idler altogether and run a very short belt directly from your alternator to the crank.... I wouldn't try putting a larger pulley onto the alternator because it probably will not spin the alternator fast enough at idle to operate the car normally...

I would say delete the idler altogether...

2496621_17_full.jpg

Ok so I know those two... what are the names of the others?

Attachments

• 06_22_06_1224.jpg
    06_22_06_1224.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 06_22_06_1225.jpg
    06_22_06_1225.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 06_22_06_1226.jpg
    06_22_06_1226.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 06_22_06_1227.jpg
    06_22_06_1227.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 33
V8Datto:

If you only need the alternator why do you bother with the original tensioner ?
Retain the upper mount for the alternator and make the lower one adjustable, this way the fanbelt only runs between the crank pulley and the alternator and the alternator is used to adjust the tension. If you look at the last post from 340i on this page you will
see what I mean.

Yes you are correct, this what I have done and now there is no slippage

I made the top Alternator mount adjustable.

Bit of a shame tho the original bet tensioner makes it so quick and easy to change or remove the belt but it works and that's the main thing

Here is a pic of somthing I wipped up, now I know it works I'll make a proper one
DSCN0806.jpg

2496621_17_full.jpg

Ok so I know those two... what are the names of the others?

ok--------

Very top little pulley - belt tensioner pulley.

Next to PS is an - idler pulley..

Bellow the PS is the - alternator pulley.

Below the belt tensioner pulley is the - hydro-pump pulley

Lastly at the very bottom is the - Crank pulley which powers everything....

That's everything..

I was wondering by deleting the idler pulleys how much HP gains will you recover from the crank.....I know with the A/C on you lose approximately 7whp at higher rpms... I know smaller pulleys and light weight pulleys make for better horsepower on all motors.....

Any guesses?????????????????

Well the whole point to me posting here was because I removed one pully (top small one) and the Power steering pump.

Driving the car around last night it's seems the same as before, so there can't be much difference in HP,
(My Power Steering pump was just recirculating so I could use that old belt setup)

Not only did I gain some minimal HP I also removed 5-6kg in unused weight

Water pump is driven off the timing belt, (hidden under all the covers on the front of the motor)
So the belt would only need to run Alt Crank AC and the tnnsioner

The only way I can see this working is if you move the ALT up to the PS original possition maybe?
Like Cobber has done "above"

wow this thread is still going strong! sorta lol... I am going to put an underdrive pulley on the 1uz and mount the alternator back in the stock location.only running one pulley. I'll post pics as I'm beginning to tinker with my motor again.