What are you up to?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is an opportunity to post some details on what car, boat or bike/trike for some crazy people, you are dropping your engine into.

A progress report plus some information on trans being used, problems encountered and an idea on completion date. You could also tell how long you have been doing the swap and maybe an idea of costs to date and projected total cost.

This would be handy for those thinking of a swap as it will give them some idea of the problems/joys, trials and tribulations of swapping engines.

datsun 260Z running a 1uz with wolf full extractors and 3" syestem, cold air intake and stock trans with a custum controling setup. 3.7 diff gears open wheeler.
22 months and around 14 grand later with no body work. and this week it went for its first real drive. it was held up by a tail shaft letting goon the dyno.
last dynoed at 170hp but only at 5000rpm.
got some one else to mount the engine and trans and did the rest under my house with a angle grinder a hack saw and a drill. if you have ever seen a poor workshop i had it.
brake upgrade was alos done now i have a pretty quick well behaved car that atracts cops like a fat kid on a choclate cake.

i'm also fitting a 1UZFE in place of an L24 six, but mine's in my 240C limo.

so far i've had to cut and section the crossmember, reinforce it, modify the pressed sump (i copped a centre mount - none of that would have been required is i had managed to get a rear mount), new engine mounts (they were a pain in the ARSE), new gearbox mount (easy as the A series auto tranny lined up with the old 4spd mount, just had to space the xmember down 20mm), custom headers (not a lot of room in there now) and now my current headache - the rack and pinion conversion. not only do i have to make a new xmember to mount the rack and pinion, but now i have to shorten the arms by about 40mm each.

oh, and now my current sump dramas as my dad warped the sump with his "i hate stitch welding" technique, so now i have to do that all over again.

this car is proving to be a big time sapper for what a 1JZGTE would have fixed with engine mounts and gearbox mounts alone. but i'm this far in now, so there's no backing out.

tailshaft splines are the same, so i can keep my 2 piece but with a 70mm extended front half shaft, and the speedo cables are the same too.

no brake upgrade required either. but i will do one.

1UZ into MX73 Cressida

Using 'factory' W57 and CRS Bellhousing, 8kg flywheel and 1800 (or 2100?) lb clutch.
Stock driveline but will upgrade diff to Torsen LSD (sitting on the shelf)
Motor is untouched bar wiring change to suit Delco ECU
Conversion took about 4 weeks in total, including custom mounts.
All work besides exhaust done in garage by me.

Last 4 months have been held up with computer and tuning.
Hopefully we'll sort it out one day.

I have a 95% completed swap into a Range Rover.

I used a Crown (for the separate ECU/ECT and adapted it to my Range Rover 5 speed manual.

The engine is fitted with headers only at this stage. Once registered it will be supercharged using an MP112 Eaton (off a Ford Lightening) and one of Jordy's manifolds.

The only work I farmed out was machining the flywheel and the exhaust. I did the rest in my garage by myself. Single handed engine swaps are fun.

I have driven the car but need to pull the motor for a clutch problem. The first time I drove it the clutch would not fully disengage now I can't get the clutch to engage at all. I will pull the motor and correct the problem. I see the problem as being the adaptor plate may need to be a bit thicker so I will do some measuring and if necessary make another.

Whilst it is out I may swap the motor for a Soarer motor I have with very few miles on it.

The wiring caused me most worry but with a few people passing on helpful information all went well.

Would I do it again? Of course it has been a lot of fun.

Torsen LSD (sitting on the shelf)

dam that is what i am missing you know quality.

my zed is registered 6months runs out tomorrow but has only been on the road for around ten days total and only in the last three weeks. and the tail shaft comes out tonight to get re balanced and a new uni. finished is not a word that can be used with conversions.
would i do it again yes but i would prepare for it differently and not let any one touch it other than a few selected people. can't trust any one but you self. other peoples work has extended my conversion by as much as 8 months fixing stuff ups.

my conversion would have been finished about 6 months ago had i not had to wait for people to come to the show.

i have another sh1tbox to get around in, in the meantime, however it's starting to get real tired and the wife hates it.

I am dropping my Crown 1UZFE into another much older Crown.

It is a 1966 Toyota Crown station wagon. It's turning out to be quite a job. The mounts are pretty straight forward but unfortunately I have had to do a rack and pinion conversion to make the thing turn - the steering box wanted to be in the same place as a bank of cylinders. I also did a disc brake conversion (both fronts and rears), added a brake booster and made it a split system. In order to cope with a tripling of power I have also fitted a larger diff out of a Hilux ute. However I plan on keeping the car completely stock looking from the exterior, right down to original badging, hubcaps and metal sunvisor. I am also keeping the gear shift mechanism on the column. In fact, that was the hardest bit of the conversion - finding an auto column for a 40 year old car - it took me over a year.

MS46%20front%20side.jpg

4CrownV8.jpg

1UZ into 1977 320 BMW coupe (E21)
I used a 130 series crown front cut
CRS bellhousing and kit, supra 5 speed W?,
Running crown ECU, K&N pod filter, Stainless ceramic coated extractors, full stainless exhaust no cats straight through res and magnaflow muffler, sound is awsome.
Running A/C, powersteer with cooler, and engine oil cooler.
BMW 323i disks all round, fabricated reverse facing underdash master/booster, 323i suspension, 5 series BMW 3.15 open diff.
Weighs 1300 Kg, not dynoed yet, best time 13.9@100 mph
I built it with a mate it took two and a half years and I spent $20 000 Au.
I nearly torched it many times, but I love it now, It is beautiful to drive.
I will be posting a link to pictures and vids very soon.
Regards
Matt.

I'm up to the stage of choosing my project car!!

Holden VK Calais, currently running a 308 V8 with auto slushbox. Will soon be transplanted with probably a Crown 1UZ-FE (what else?) and 4spd auto. Bigger rims and lowered suspesion is also on the cards. Possible use includes drifting! (we'll see!) ;-)

Hey there,

Have just purchased myself a very clean, low k's Crown 1UZFE.
The engine was imported in 96 by some guy in Melbourne and hasnt been installed or run since......
It comes with the trans and numerous other pieces (not a half cut) which i plan on selling soon.

I will be sliding the engine into mu 1979 VW Baywindow Kombi Transporter.
I plan on contacting a guy in QLD who has done this same conversion into a Baywindow Utility(Twincab ute) he did all the fabrication himself.

Transport SA has said the conversion is OK. So all i need is the engineers report and notification.

The engine will be hanging off a standard VW 091 4 spd trans. I will have to modify the ratios and have the box rebuilt. This will happen at a later stage when i have a little cash. The box rebuild is expected to be around $5000.

Will be running a MicroTech or Haltech. The harness will be completely cut down to the bare minimum. Will not be using PS, Aircon or the starter motor.

The exhaust will be custom fabricated by either Kens Exhausts, Berri, or by CAPA.

Radiator will be mounted underneath between the chassis rails as far forward as i can get it.

I plan on taking the wiring into my own hands.

So wish me luck gents as i plan on having it running by the end of the year.

Fozee,

There's athread on here about VW & Porsche adaptors.

Check it and have a chat to the guys.

I spoke to them last week but the brains wasn't there (sick daughter in Hospital) but he will be back on deck this week.

My 1983 RA65 Celica GT-S is getting a 1993 LS-400 1UZ complete with auto trans and all the wiring, ECU, and emissions controls to hopefully make it fully legal here in California. The project is under way with the engine physically under the hood. Mounts are a bit temp right now as the position is not finallized. Due to job relocation a pair of my good friends back in Chicago are doing most of the work for me while I am here in CA. They are sending me some pics and I have been talking with them on the phone alot. They have a serious problem with the left side exhaust manifold and the steering shaft. I posted this on my Progress thread. I hope someone has some ideas about a different manifold that might clear.

On another note, I have the complete 93 service manuals. All three huge books with every detail about the 93 LS400. I am reading through what the ECU needs to think the auto trans is working right. I will run it for now, But I would love my W58 5 speed back later.

Gary M.

Hey Zuffen,

Yeah i have everything sorted, just questions with regaurds to the cooling system and ive decided on the MicroTech ECU. The LTX-8s sound like all i need.

I thtink i may have posted in the thread about the Porcshe/VW adaptors. There is a guy named 'John Sherman' of Volks Conversions in QLD that has my adaptor kit for $760, brake upgrade kit for $750 and a 1600 pound heavy duty clutch kit for $450. All straight bolt-ons accepted by the RTA. Too easy

Ryan

1600 pound might be stretching it.

I'd be looking at at least 2000lbs, if not more, especially if the car weighs over 1000kg.

My 2200lb clutch is full face organic and was $495

Attachments

• IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 105
Really!!
I think ill look around for prices on other kits.

I though that 1600 may be a little light, i dont think the stock bus clutch is far off 1200

My box wouldnt be designed to handle anymore that 100HP so i really need a good HD clutch to protect it.

Well I've had all the gear ready to go for a while now, but once I get all the parts to finish off rebuilding my motor it's full steam ahead, so far my HZ has the front end off and the 202 is outta there...Though I need mounts, and rings and bearings PETE where are YOU!!??? LOL.
So yeh, about 5% into it now