Water Wetter For Coolant! Work?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
An engine oil cooler is nice, but I'm not sure if it's good for the turbo or not because if the oil isn't pumped quick enough to the turbo, it'll kill the turbo. Also, I'm already running full synthetic oil so it perhaps lowers the temperature down.

An engine oil cooler is nice, but I'm not sure if it's good for the turbo or not because if the oil isn't pumped quick enough to the turbo, it'll kill the turbo. Also, I'm already running full synthetic oil so it perhaps lowers the temperature down.
Only if cooler is not fitted correctly or very inefficient, wrong size..

DOHC engines use the oil to cool the heads , which is one reason why so much oil is sent up there.

An oil cooler will drop engine temps by quite afew degrees.

Any modified engine should run an oil cooler with thermostat if cold conditions may arise.

Personally I don't use a themostat on my cooler as my vehicle is only ever driven in 25degree C plus temps.

Plumbing the oil cooler after your turbo would eliminate the feed issue. Also the freshly cooled oil will flow straight to the heads instead of freshly heated oil flowing from the turbo to the sump/heads. I found the B&M coolers to be unique because it uses a LPD (low pressure drop) feature that bases flow on viscosity of the oil. Basically it internally bypasses fluid on cold situations and gradually flows more fluid as temps rise, takes the T-stat right out of the equation. these run around $100 polished.

That's a definitely a good idea, but it can't be applied on my system because the turbo oil outline needs to have a good slope angle to drain back to the oil pan. And if put a cooler after the turbo, I'll need to install a oil pump so it can pump the oil out quick enough, otherwise, the oil will get stuck after the turbo, in the turbo, and it'll blow the turbo seal. And there's not much room for it. :)

Steve,

Plumbing the cooler in "after the turbo" meant after the oil feed has been taken to the turbo. Not putting the cooler in the turbo return line.

Essentialy it would go oil pump -> oil pressure switch/turbo feed -> oil filter -> cooler -> back into engine.

The turbo feed and drain would remain unaltered.

I've assumed the turbo feed is from the oil pressure switch block as this si the easiest and most practical way to do it.

The B&M sounds the goods and should be fitted if at all possible.

hmmm, what about plumbing water lines in/out of turbo with in-line cooler? Im guessing the turbo has ports for it?

Plumbing the coolant into the turbo will cool the turbo and better for the turbo, but coolant will get much hotter and overheating can be worse. :p My turbo doesn't have ports for the coolant line. It's basically cooled by air and oil. You're right that some other turbos have ports for coolant.

Plumbing the cooler in "after the turbo" meant after the oil feed has been taken to the turbo. Not putting the cooler in the turbo return line.

Essentialy it would go oil pump -> oil pressure switch/turbo feed -> oil filter -> cooler -> back into engine.

The turbo feed and drain would remain unaltered.

I've assumed the turbo feed is from the oil pressure switch block as this si the easiest and most practical way to do it.

The B&M sounds the goods and should be fitted if at all possible.

You're right that the turbo oil feed is from the oil switch block and the pressure can be strong enough to pump the oil upward if the turbo is located high. Its pressure can feed for several turbos, too. But the oil drain for the turbo is basically by gravity, because the oil pressure is pretty much consumed inside the turbo, even though there's still oil pressure after the turbo. Typically, the oil drain line must be at least 1/2" inside diameter or 3/4" for the entire hose and with a good down slope angle, so the oil can be freely flown down back to the oil pan with no resistance. If we put a cooler inline of the oil drain line, the gravity won't have enough force to suck the oil out, unless there's an electric pump that does it.

Steve,

The oil line to and from the turbo remain as you have them.

The oil cooler is installed in a 1/2" line run from the oil filter mount -> the cooler -> the engine.

The way you have your turbo plumbed won't change at all. The drain on your turbo will remain as is in other words you wouldn't touch it when instaling an oil cooler.

The oil cooler installation will be the same with or without a turbo.

I'll try and get some photos of my oil cooler set up.

I have a good news is after putting on the carbon fiber vented hood, it's temperature was stable and low at around 200-205 degree after the car was driven for 1 hour in stop-go traffic during 84 degree at noon. I tested it out under boosting and believe the vented hood really helps. The amazing thing is when I stopped at the red lights, I could see the heat wave coming out from the vent. :eek:

However, I'll sell this hood and put a hood scoop on the stock hood because I want the cooler air to go in much more, instead of the hot air being naturally vented out from the carbon hood.

I'm posting the pictures of the carbon hood that's on my car, and the scoop (will be painted) that I'll put on the stock hood. The hood scoop size is 23" x 24" x 1.5". I may enlarge the hole a little more. Please note the hood pins on the carbon hood that have the racing spirit on their own. :D

A little show-off is that I painted by myself for the front bumper, fenders (fiberglass), trunk, and spoiler, and they look much like high-end paint job. The paint looks so much better than what I paid $2000 for a previous shop that did the crappy job on this same car.

Attachments

• IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 4
  • r7.jpg
    r7.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Do not put that scoop on your hood for 4 reasons, 1 it will look stupid and cheap, 2 it will create positive lift under the hood and make the front end lighter at speed, 3 its not areo dynamic at all and 4 it wont do anything at all, the vent on the carbon bonnet should work allof better. And the carbon bonnet looks much much better im sure.

As drifty says the positive pressure created is something to consider but perhaps not for the reasons stated. The bigger issue is that the positive pressure it creates will actually reduce airflow thru the radiator and any overheating issues will be much much worse. The bonnet you have is by far the best way to improve under bonnet temps....do you still have the undertray as well? If not reinstall that as it does the same thing as the bonnet vent and uses a low pressure zone to suck hot air out of the bay and improve cool air flow thru the radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're very interesting points. The reason about the carbon hood that I don't like is because of the hood pins. They look a bit too racy to me. It's not safe to remove the hood pins because the carbon hood is so soft and it's always recommended for hood pins. When you mention about positive lift, how do the cars like Subaru and other cars handle that? I see there's a lot of real hood scoops on them with big power.

I guess it's a little late but I know NRG makes carbon lockable pins that would have a smaller footprint. Frankly I like those aerotech? hood pins, and thought about them for mine to solve my hood lock mechanism issue but never tried. Nice hood tho Steve, I am picking up an SC400 hopefully this December, I have been drooling over this Seibon TSII vented hood for the SC:
sc300hood2.jpg

Only down side to me is the $700 price tag =(

Hood scoop will look more Ricey IMO Steve. Plus, it's better to vent the heat out then induct air in. I'm will keep my hood if it don't sell. It was meant to be. lol

Justen,
Is the undertray you mentioned the big plastic piece with vented holes that connects from the radiator's bottom to the engine's bottom? If it is, then a 12 years veteran Toyota master tech told me in the opposite way. He said removing it to improve cooling.

Sean,
I almost bought that Seibon hood, but I got a good deal on this VIS hood so I went for it. If you'll buy the SC4, then you're more than welcome to join the SC4 family. Go for black? We'll appreciate if you'll go with black SC. :D Boost it, right?

Anyway, has anyone used Racecool coolant additive? I just saw this product today and its label says it'll drop down the temp tremendously, and it should be mixed with distilled water only. I'm wondering if anyone knows about it?

Justen,
Is the undertray you mentioned the big plastic piece with vented holes that connects from the radiator's bottom to the engine's bottom? If it is, then a 12 years veteran Toyota master tech told me in the opposite way. He said removing it to improve cooling.

He's a veteran idiot then :) My 20 years track experience says otherwise as does any aero engineer you care to check with :) Why do you think it's there? I bet you a gazillion bucks your engine bay temps drop with the tray in place :cool:

As per the bonnet vent, the air stream passing over the vents creates a low pressure zone that sucks the air out. Without that under tray the turbulent air under the car actually creates a high pressure zone that will impede air escaping from the engine bay and keep hot air IN there.

You're a hard man to help mate :rolleyes:

PS i like the bonnet pins ;)