VVTL-i How it works

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

928s

Hi to all, for those of you who haven't seen it, here's a great link to how the system works. http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec3.htm.

While I have never programmed one of these before, the method of how it works seems straight forward enough. If you were to modify one of these I would suggest that only the high speed lobe needs the mod. Also having the duration spec for the other 100 hp per liter Toyota engines helps in finding a suitable cam profile. The lift and duration figures are given for one of those 100 + hp engines, does anybody have the cam timing figures from the 3uz fe engine? That would be really interesting. I would guess the camming is very small.

Also how hard is it to get to 4.7 liters, maybe upto 5 liters? My project will be NA, I trying to go as light as possible. I plan on running ITB with showerheads to deal with the high rpm atomization. Looking for 120 per liter, a lofty goal I know. For that figure to be attainable, the heads most flow extremly well, from what I have heard the 3uz fe heads have that ability with suitable porting. Feedback please

Greg

Pity the UZ series only runs VVT-i not VVTL-i.

Also, if you are staying NA, don't increase the capacity.
More capacity = longer stroke and larger piston.
Both of these lower your maximum redline.

Keep it 4.0L, increase the compression to 11:1 with custom piston, 11mm lift cams, long duration, ported heads, ITB's, extractors, and you will be close to 120hp/litre.

Hi Peewee, thanks for responding, I need atleast 4.7 litres, my car is pretty heavy, it will be around 1350 kgs after the work is done. So if I managed to get that 120 hp per liter that would get me to 500 hp. I was originally going to go with the Porsche motor, but everything needs to be custom made and it is 70 kgs heavier. I thought I can live with less power, the Porsche would have more than 600, if I had less weight. Also the car will be more nimble all round.

I'm going to use the 3uz-fe engine as a starting point, or should I use the Landcruiser/Lexus 4wd 4 cam engine? I want to use the vvtl-i engine as it fasinates me. I will run an aftermarket controller, I will get custom cams made, maybe I will use a 2 litre vvtl-i cam as a master, it will depend on the similarities I suppose, also I'm keen to use diamond like carbon coatings DLC. These lower wear and friction. I could use any knowledge that people have about increasing the capacity. I will use a top class light piston I promise that. I am very concious of mass forces. (and my bad spelling) I will use aftermarket steel rods, with top quality bolts.

Has anybody put new liners in these blocks successfully? What about removing the liner and then Nicasiling the block? Does it need the liner for strengh? What has been the experience here?

Thanks Greg

My car is about 1350kg, and I reckon 500hp is enough.
But then again, I'm not competitively racing it.

Use the 3uz-fe, if you can find one, and treat it with MoTeC.
You can then run the VVT-i properly, use the knock sensors, and even the traction control.
The Landcruiser motor is cast iron, so a lot heavier.

I currently have about 300hp at the flywheel (taking 20% drivetrain losses), and thats with twin TB intake, extractors, and ecu.
With a set of mild bolt in cams (ie, no shim under bucket conversion), i reckon 400hp would be easy.

Up the compression from 10:1 to 11.5:1, use 300duration/11mm lift cams, I reckon 500hp is now obtainable.
But, time will tell this.

Problem is that new cams ~ 2k
Shim under bucket conversion ~ 2k
Headwork ~ 1k
New pistons ~ 2k
Cam gears ~ 1k?

So its not something I can just say, ok, do it.

Yeah, if the UZ's ran VVTL-i from factroy, they would be putting out about 400-450hp off the showroom floor.

This is something Toyota wont do for many years to come.

Hey Peewee do we know what the bore spacing is on the UZ motors and the motors that have VVTL-i? If it is the same there would be a chance it might be able to be adopted over. Yes I know that would be small. On the Porsche 928 which is a V8, the 4 cylinder version the 944, its heads will fit on a 928. I would imagine most cars wouldn't, but until we know I wont pressume it is impossible.

Also I wonder if the bore spacing is the same maybe the UZ heads could be modified to fit the VVTL-i in. The extra cost of the heads would be offset by the cost of some of the cams. Or all of them if you went to a flat plane crank. Starting to get expensive I think!

Cheers Greg

The only motor (in the US at least) with VVTLi is the 2ZZGE in the Celica GT-S, Matrix XRS and Corolla XRS. This is only a 1.8 litre motor, but it does make over 180 hp in stock trim. I don't knwo the bore spacing, but I bet buying a head gasket for it can't be too silly of a price. Line it up with a 3UZ gasket and see if you have a chance at all. Oil feed holes, coolant holes, oil drain passages, and don't forget head bolt locations. Even if you got it bolted on, now you need to turn one around, extend the cams out the other end, and still make all custom manifolds for it. Sounds like a fun project though.

Did the BEAMS 3SGE get VVTLi or just VVTi? That is a 2.0 L motor making over 200 hp.

Gary M.