VVTi Heads

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Anyone know if the GS400 VVTi heads are the same as the GS430 VVTi heads? I have the pdf but I have to dig the information in order to compare. Anyone know off their head? John?

David, the differences I found are:

The cylinder bore size has increased, of course, from 87.5 to 91.0mm, and the bores of the cylinder head gaskets have increased also, so you'd have to use the 3UZ head gaskets.

The water jackets in the heads have been changed to improve the flow around the valve seats and reduce the combustion chamber temperature. Don't know if this was in part due to the bore increase or ???

TIS states that the pitch of the 3UZ camshafts has been shortened and the valve angle has been "narrowed" to 21 degrees 33 minutes. I could find no specs for the valve angle of the 1UZ VVTi.

Intake valve timing has changed a bit, but this is a function of the VVTi controller. Valve sizes are the same as the 1UZ VVTi.

Cylinder head bolt material has changed and a higher clamping torque has been specified. (Perhaps this is related to the decrease in sealing surface between cylinders and the water jackets due to the increased bores?)

Looks to me like 3UZ heads might work on the 1UZ VVTi motor, and vice versa, but you'd want to check closely for good sealing of water jackets and between cylinders. If you did do a head interchange, it looks like it would have to be with the cams too. It doesn't appear that the 3UZ VVTi and 1UZ VVTi cams are interchangeable, however that's just my "read" of the TIS. Don't know how well manifolding and other ancillaries would bolt up.....

John,

I really think the 1UZFE VVTi heads would be almost the same as the 3UZFE heads and I am sure they are completely interchangeable. I really don't think Toyota would radically change head design for just two years of production. 1UZFE VVTi was only produced from 1998 to 2000. So using the same heads on 2001 and later would make sense. What do you think? I have a VVTi head along with 2UZFE head. I can take some pictures to compare then.

Well, we won't know for sure until the bumblebee tries it out!

Not wishing anyone any bad luck, but it would be cool if a 3UZ would pop up for sale real cheap.