VVTI head swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ruishy1

okay i know this has been covered, but there has been no definate answers so far.

Has any one actually attempted this ?
I know the vvti needs an oil supply for the head, this is easy enough.
and the vvti wont function.

Other than these two are there any major hurdles ?
Ive been offered a complete head and manifold setup and im tempted to try this, looking at the HG's they are virtually the same apart from the one hole for the vvti feed. so cant be that much of a hassle to fit

any info would be appreciated

What about computer control? If you fully want the benefits of VVTi heads, computer control will be required. Secondly, perhaps u should use VVTi pistons too (4.0L version)

One of my customers has done it with OK success but at the end of the day it would have been more cost effective to start with the VVti motor even when he started with mainly free parts. That engine has since been sold and he has started with a 1uz VVti and then a 3uz vvti. VVti motors are pretty avaliable here now which may be different from over there. About 50% of my work is now with the VVti engines compared to the early ones.

yeah they are a little harder to get over here.
can you ask hime how he did it please ?
pitfalls etc, just need a brief rundown, the rest i can fill in :)

I have a complete VVTi engine if anyone interested. Other option would be 4.7L VVTi block with 1UZ VVTi heads. That would be a great combo..

I will try and remember to ask him next time he is in. One of his trucks is getting a new clutch fitted.

The stock car boys are buying VVti motors to start with. We pretty much can always get a VVti motor somewhere in the country and they are normally listed on trade me.

Cheers

im in for some info as well, what all is needed? ECU, heads, cams.....how much of a PITA is the wiring? ive done the baby steps before(hondas:vtec swaps, haha) and i understand how to deal with the vtec solenoid, also how to wire it up. please forgive me as i am not well versed in VVTI stuff, how would the wiring compare? or is it uncomparable due to the vvti ecu being obd2?

vvti and vtec are two completely different technologies.
vvti uses a pwm solenoid, and the honda uses a on/off valve.
in laymans terms the vvti is driven just like a fuel injector, and the honda is driven like a light switch. also v-tec enables the extra cam lobe that opens the extra valves, no cam advance involved. vvti actually advances the cam and does so in a controlled gradual fashion that gives a nice smoothe powerfull torque band.