V8 5 speed conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stinchman

I have a 1992 Lexus SC400 and I have been reading about 5 speed conversions with a Supra transmission. How much does this cost to do it? Is there anybody that does these because I simply don't have the time to put into it?

Thanks,
John

John,

I am in the middle of doing it right now. Cost is sort of relative. There are complete kits out there ranging from 700.00 up to 2500.00 dollars. It depends a lot on your skill level also. I have a complete sheet metal and machine shop. So I am just building it myself. I also could not find a kit that was built like I wanted. Which transmission are you planning on using?

Jake

Well I am using a R154 5 speed from any turbo MKIII Supra from 87-92. Be careful that you are getting a W58 from a MKIV. It also came in the MKII from 82-86. The transmission is not the same. The W58 in the MKIV is improved and tougher.

Jake

If you go with the w58 you want to make sure it has the steel sanwich plate instead of the aluminum sandwich plate. That makes the biggest difference with the W series transmissions. They can be commonly found in the mkiv supras and the lexus sc300's.

as for adaptor plate kits I sell them here. www.toyotav8.com

Buy a good quality complete kit from someone and you will be able to go to any transmission shop to have the swap done. If the kit is complete and well built then its no different than doing a transmission R&R.

Jake

That's good to know. I am assuming that the only thing that requires drilling into the firewall is the mounting of the clutch master cylinder, right? Huh, now listening to it doesn't sound that difficult.